Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Ford clue...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: A Ford clue...

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "A unit that will read and clear OBDII codes starts at about $150, as far as I can tell."

Buy one on E-Bay as "buy it now" for $13.99, plus $10.99 shipping, total less than $25.00. Check:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-S...17206366QQrdZ1

-Don-
    I have dee-cided that my next truck will be a pre-smog F100... ideally, one with a 360 (or even a 351). No "OBD" crapola. And nothing I can't fix myself with standard tools and for next to nothing!

And you know what? With a few judicious upgrades here and there, one can have the best of both worlds - the simplicity and ease of maintenance of an older vehicle - and the functionality (esp. handling and high-speed capability) of a modern car.

More to come on that topic...

DonTom

"No "OBD" crapola."

Eric,

You're very hightechphobic, aren't you?

"And nothing I can't fix myself with standard tools and for next to nothing!"

These days, IMAO, an OBD2 reader IS a standard tool for anybody who works on modern cars.

-Don-

"No "OBD" crapola."

Eric,

You're very hightechphobic, aren't you?

"And nothing I can't fix myself with standard tools and for next to nothing!"

These days, IMAO, an OBD2 reader IS a standard tool for anybody who works on modern cars.

-Don-

Not high-tech phobic - jut not interested in unnecessary (to me) and expensive technology!

DonTom

" jut not interested in unnecessary (to me) and expensive technology"!

Most high tech stuff is cheap these days. It's just that there is so much of it that was never in cars before.

China does NOT have the high tech OBD2 stuff in their cars and that has been expensive to China in health costs. They have learnt this the hard way. Here in CA it's necessary too, if we don't want to all kill each other in our smog.

-Don-

mrblanche

Most high tech stuff is cheap these days. It's just that there is so much of it that was never in cars before.
    Really? Did you notice that I pointed out the little sensor that caused my problem was $80 with tax, and that Ford is having trouble with them dying every 30,000 miles? You can get them for $30 at Auto Zone, and it may last 10,000 miles. If I had taken it to Ford rather than doing it myself, the total bill would have approached $200.

I ordered one of the scanners you mentioned. I'll let you know how impressed I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Really? Did you notice that I pointed out the little sensor that caused my problem was $80 with tax, and that Ford is having trouble with them dying every 30,000 miles? You can get them for $30 at Auto Zone, and it may last 10,000 miles. If I had taken it to Ford rather than doing it myself, the total bill would have approached $200.

I ordered one of the scanners you mentioned. I'll let you know how impressed I am.
    Now compare this with the cost of entire TH350 automatic transmission - which you can buy from Summit Racing for about $500.

DonTom

"Really? Did you notice that I pointed out the little sensor that caused my problem was $80 with tax, and that Ford is having trouble with them dying every 30,000 miles? You can get them for $30 at Auto Zone, and it may last 10,000 miles. If I had taken it to Ford rather than doing it myself, the total bill would have approached $200.

I ordered one of the scanners you mentioned. I'll let you know how impressed I am."

I think of $80.00 as being cheap these days. That $80.00 will get me less than a half of tank of gas in my RV, or a little over a full tank of gasoline in my SUV or truck. BTW, dealers are a big rip off. I avoid them. If I MUST go to them for service, I may just junk the vehicle instead. However, the one time I should have gone to a dealer, I ripped myself off by not doing such when I had the same code as you had in my 2002 Mustang (the CA 5 year warranty). BTW, did you mean 100K ar Auto Zone, or did you mean 10K just as you said above?

The 1999 Mustang has the same part made from metal and the new replacement part for the 2002 is a bit larger than the one that failed. I assumed it will last longer, even though it's still made from cheap plastic.

The OBD2 reader won't impress you too much, but it will do a job that you could not do without it. As I explained before, you cannot guess OBD2 codes. There are way too many possibilities, but especially in CA models.

The main problem you will have is when you do get a check engine light, you may need a few service manuals to fix it, even when you have the code and know what the basic problem is. One book might tell you the problem and another might tell you where to look for the problem part, etc. But I have books for my 2002 Ford that will work for most of your codes on your 2002 Ford, so I should be able to help with at least some OBD2 problems. I have had my share of them.

BTW, there are MANY codes that are ignored until they happen several times in several start cycles. This includes when my secondary air injection failed in my 1999 Mustang (electric air pump failed, which was very difficult to locate, hidden under the right headlight). So reseting the codes might just lead to more confusion. If the light does not come on during a single hundred mile trip, it does NOT mean the "check engine" light won't go on 20 miles after the next time you start the car, even though the problem has not changed at all. The OBD2 system makes sure the problem is for real and not a computer glitch, when you see that light come on.

-Don-

On some cars you can jumper a connector and view the codes as "blink codes".
    These are really cryptic, and to avoid the hassle, it's probably worthwhile buying a code reader/clearer.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

I don't think you can on OBDII cars. But I may be wrong.

MikeHalloran

You are correct. Cars with OBDII don't do blink codes. You have to buy a reader.

I bought one for $150 at AutoZone. It reads and clears the basic codes, all it says it will do. There's a decoder in the thin book that comes with it. Odd codes are covered on the company's website, easy to access.

My friend Ted bought the $500 model, which reads and clears codes, and additionally allows you to monitor activity on the vehicle's data bus in real time. I.e., you can measure rpm, various temperatures, etc., whatever the sensors read.

There are actually far fewer actual physical sensors than there are codes or monitored parameters. The onboard computer does a lot of inference in order to multiplex the sensors.

Given that many vehicles now have suitable digital displays, one might wonder why the car doesn't just display the code on the dashboard.

One, the gov't doesn't require it. The OBDII connector is standardized, as is the format of the publicly accessible data that appears on it.

Two, each manufacturer additionally posts a completely different set of enhanced codes, in proprietary format that is not standardized or public. I think most of them send the data at a much higher baud rate, over the same pins as the OBDII output, but the high speed data bits just look like noise to the generic reader. The enhanced codes support more fine grained data reporting, and commands to do special tests for faster diagnostics, and also support the manufacture and sale of multi- thousand dollar scanners, to dealers only.

There are third- party scanners for the enhanced codes, slightly more affordable than the official factory stuff, and adaptable to multiple manufacturers. They may not cover everything the dealer gets, because they are reverse- engineered. I almost got a job doing that; it would have been great fun.

mrblanche

For what it's worth, when my Volvo truck sets a code, it also tells you what it is, what it means, and gives the part number.

DonTom

"On some cars you can jumper a connector and view the codes as "blink codes". "

You're thinking OBD1, used before 1997. However, I think there might be some vehicles where you can retrieve OBD2 codes without buying a code reader, as they have their own built in reader. I have seen this in OBD1 (gives the actual code, nothing to count), such as in the 1989 Caddy we used to own, so I assume they might still do it with some OBD2 cars.

If some cars do have a built in code reader, I doubt if you can reset the code with it and many OBD2 codes will NOT reset by removing the battery power. What resets OBD2 codes other than a reset button on the OBD2 reader depends on the code itself. Most codes will reset after starting either 25 or 50 times and so many miles driven(depending on the code) but only if the code has not returned a single time during all those restarts and miles. Not all OBD2 codes are treated the same way. OBD2 is MUCH more complicated and high tech than OBD1. There is no easy way to cheat on an OBD2 code.

-Don
    -

MikeHalloran

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    For what it's worth, when my Volvo truck sets a code, it also tells you what it is, what it means, and gives the part number.
    There's no _technical_ reason why they couldn't do the same thing on cars, and update the information by satellite.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    There's no _technical_ reason why they couldn't do the same thing on cars, and update the information by satellite.
    All over-the-road trucks built since 1987 have computer controls and a standardized "data buss" that can be tapped into. Many companies, such as Werner, connect that buss to their QualComm satellite communication system. The effect is that the head office often knows about a problem before the driver does. I had a Peterbilt that set a low oil pressure code whenever I started it cold, and each time I would get a message from the head office asking if the truck was OK. In addition, I was in an accident in 1991 (a lady turned left in front of me) and when I called in, they already knew that there had been an impact on the truck.

>> The effect is that the head office often knows about a problem before the driver does. I had a Peterbilt that set a low oil pressure code whenever I started it cold, and each time I would get a message from the head office asking if the truck was OK. In addition, I was in an accident in 1991 (a lady turned left in front of me) and when I called in, they already knew that there had been an impact on the truck.<<

Big Brother is really watching you!

DonTom

"There's no _technical_ reason why they couldn't do the same thing on cars, and update the information by satellite."

Stuff such as giving a part number for a failed part is usually unreliable.

The factory service manuals do NOT assume anything in its troubleshooting procedures. For an example, when my air pump went out, the code wasn't for a failed air pump, but for "no secondary air injection detected". This means, perhaps it's the sensor or a bad hose and not the air pump. The troubleshooting procedure made sure I tested everything correctly before letting me assume it's and air pump problem. Something has to tell the system that the air pump failed, and that "something" might be what really failed. Also, something has to tell the air pump when to come on and off. Many problems will set the exact same code, making some troubleshooting necessary if you don't want to waste time and money on replacing good parts. Remember, most places have a no refund policy on electrical parts.

In fact, that's what happened with my Jeep ABS failure code. It's a false code saying a sensor failed, but the false code turns off the ABS and the real problem is the module itself. I cannot test for ABS codes myself, but the factory that makes the ABS module explained that this is their most common failure.

So you cannot always trust a simple system that gives you a part number for a failed part. Some troubleshootin is usually necessary.

-Don-

Actually, I believe certain GM vehicles have similar capability - working via OnStar. "Problem" codes and maintenance reminders tied to accumulated mileage, etc. are downloaded and sent to the dealer/customer as necessary...