Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: A few more Car Ads

  1. #1
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    A few more Car Ads

    I thought you may enjoy these ads from the breakaway division of General Motors.

    This year, enjoy the full line of 1969 Pontiacs.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=rLKXJlAZB...elated&search=

    or try the 1969 Pontiac Firebird.. because the wait is over!

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=7hc76rNYY...elated&search=


  2. #2
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Here's Bing crooning about a Ford Thunderbird

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zLMyVFQygX8


    And a car quieter than a Rolls Royce

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zcF7TrgGhIY

    Quality may cost no more than a '65 Ford
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  3. #3
    TC
    Guest

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

    And a car quieter than a Rolls Royce

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zcF7TrgGhIY

    Quality may cost no more than a '65 Ford
    I am just a little surprised at that, although British cars are generally nowhere near as quiet as US cars, particularly Buicks.

  4. #4
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by TC
    I am just a little surprised at that, although British cars are generally nowhere near as quiet as US cars, particularly Buicks.
    I'm not. The only Rolls I ever drove was quite new, something like a 1983, but it drove no better nor was it quieter than my '78 Caprice Classic. Smelled a lot better inside, though, due to the leather.

    On the 1969 Pontiac ad--I took Driver's Ed in a 1969 Pontiac Bonneville.

  5. #5
    TC
    Guest

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I'm not. The only Rolls I ever drove was quite new, something like a 1983, but it drove no better nor was it quieter than my '78 Caprice Classic. Smelled a lot better inside, though, due to the leather.
    I have never driven a Rolls so I didn't know how quiet they might be.

  6. #6
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Here are a couple more -

    1968 Plymouth Roadrunner - totally politically incorrect. Coyote uses a Jet to try and catch the Roadrunner. He uses things such as full power... and cant' get him of course. All new for 1968.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=BGXc5Qd6n...elated&search=

    1970 Olds Cutlass 442 455 CID standard -

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RxUDVCTir...elated&search=


  7. #7
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    "I am just a little surprised at that, although British cars are generally nowhere near as quiet as US cars, particularly Buicks."

    I would rather have noise than nylon teeth in the timing gear. I have had a couple of timing chains fall off because of nylon teeth in GM's. And all on interference engines, of course.

    This may be even a dumber design than timing belts on interference engines.

    I don't like the idea that an engine can self destruct because a piece of plastic or rubber breaks. I would prefer more noise.

    -Don-



  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Those were the days, eh?

    Sad they're gone forever... .

  9. #9
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Eric =

    You may enjoy this one. 1970 Pontiac Firebird beginning with the 400 Esprit

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=v6iZjrt_GKo

    Check out the 1975 T/A

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoNnW51zm...elated&search=


    and the 1977 T/A - Notice they weren't bragging about engines this time around.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zHHCWaLBA...elated&search=


    I forgot to mention the 1977 Grand Prix - Pontiac: The mark of Great Cars

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4L56sMevu...elated&search=


    Yeah, those were the days--- well maybe not.

  10. #10
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Am I the only one who is entertained by some of these old ones? I personally think that Pontiac had the best ad department in the car business in the 1960s and 70s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9f4I...elated&search=

  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Am I the only one who is entertained by some of these old ones? I personally think that Pontiac had the best ad department in the car business in the 1960s and 70s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9f4I...elated&search=
    They did!

    I have several old print ads from that era - and some original artwork, too that I got from my friend Martyn Schorr - whose name you may be familiar with!

  12. #12
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Am I the only one who is entertained by some of these old ones? I personally think that Pontiac had the best ad department in the car business in the 1960s and 70s.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9f4I...elated&search=
    They did!

    I have several old print ads from that era - and some original artwork, too that I got from my friend Martyn Schorr - whose name you may be familiar with!
    I am sorry to say I am not. I searched his name and found that he was a prolific author in the 1980s. Is he still around? Was he a Pontiac ad man as well?


  13. #13
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Check this ad out for the 1974 AMC Gremlin. That was my first car. (haha) Tell me if this would sell cars today!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7Ja...lated&search=#

  14. #14
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Check this ad out for the 1974 AMC Gremlin. That was my first car. (haha) Tell me if this would sell cars today!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7Ja...lated&search=#
    Nah......... I wouldn't buy one ...... the cars were strange looking.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  15. #15
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Check this ad out for the 1974 AMC Gremlin. That was my first car. (haha) Tell me if this would sell cars today!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7Ja...lated&search=#
    Nah......... I wouldn't buy one ...... the cars were strange looking.
    They were and the ad was a little odd, too. For instance, the girl in the ad stated that she didn't have to got to to the back of the line after she told the service guy her car had a few rattles in it!! Hilarious.

  16. #16
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Take flight with the 1977 Thunderbird. Notice a few things here - how slowly the needle goes from 0-25 mph and then up to 50 mph. Notice the speedometer only goes up to 85 mph. Ugh. Love it though. Those were the days when car makers knew how to market that junk. They made you want to go and buy a car. That is definitely missing in todays world. Enjoy the Thunderbirds down to earth price of $5435.00

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFFev...2D287033%2Ephp


  17. #17
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    They were and the ad was a little odd, too. For instance, the girl in the ad stated that she didn't have to got to to the back of the line after she told the service guy her car had a few rattles in it!! Hilarious.
    Keep in mind that the Gremlin was a Hornet, slashed off at the back to make it sportier.

  18. #18
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    "Take flight with the 1977 Thunderbird. Notice a few things here - how slowly the needle goes from 0-25 mph and then up to 50 mph. Notice the speedometer only goes up to 85 mph. Ugh. Love it though. Those were the days when car makers knew how to market that junk. They made you want to go and buy a car. That is definitely missing in todays world. Enjoy the Thunderbirds down to earth price of $5435.00"

    I remember cars like this very well; drove a bunch of them when they were still plentiful in the '80s... and you know, they weren't half bad. True, in comparison to a modern car, the brakes were weak, the suspensions loosey goosey and the engines wheezy. But it was fun to flip the air cleaner lid (so you could hear the carb suck fuel and the waaaaaaaa! as the secondaries opened up), be able to lock the brakes if you wanted to do stunt tricks (with ABS, no can do) and, as I have come to figure out, driving a not-so-great car to its limit can be even more fun than driving a highly capable car past your own limits.

  19. #19
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    "Take flight with the 1977 Thunderbird. Notice a few things here - how slowly the needle goes from 0-25 mph and then up to 50 mph. Notice the speedometer only goes up to 85 mph. Ugh. Love it though. Those were the days when car makers knew how to market that junk. They made you want to go and buy a car. That is definitely missing in todays world. Enjoy the Thunderbirds down to earth price of $5435.00"

    I remember cars like this very well; drove a bunch of them when they were still plentiful in the '80s... and you know, they weren't half bad. True, in comparison to a modern car, the brakes were weak, the suspensions loosey goosey and the engines wheezy. But it was fun to flip the air cleaner lid (so you could hear the carb suck fuel and the waaaaaaaa! as the secondaries opened up), be able to lock the brakes if you wanted to do stunt tricks (with ABS, no can do) and, as I have come to figure out, driving a not-so-great car to its limit can be even more fun than driving a highly capable car past your own limits.
    Its not what you drive, but how you drive it. I can't stand new fast cars being driven at no more than 5 mph above the speed limit. Makes me ill. Back in the days of 55, I used to run up under Vettes doing 60 in the left lane.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: A few more Car Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Take flight with the 1977 Thunderbird. Notice a few things here - how slowly the needle goes from 0-25 mph and then up to 50 mph. Notice the speedometer only goes up to 85 mph. Ugh. Love it though. Those were the days when car makers knew how to market that junk. They made you want to go and buy a car. That is definitely missing in todays world. Enjoy the Thunderbirds down to earth price of $5435.00
    Jags of the 1960's at least had their speedos reaing upwards of 120mph ;D
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •