Thread: A few more Car Ads

Staff

1971 Pontiac Lemans

Staff

Re: A few more Car Ads

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    My Trans-Am has a 160 MPH speedo... and with the overdrive transmission I installed in it, I bet it could come close to pegging it. (A stock 1973 SD-455 with a three-speed automatic and no OD could do around 135, all out - even with 3.42 gears; my car makes about as much power - and has a steep overdrive ratio - something like .67 - in top gear. So 140-plus should be very diable!)

Can't say I'd want to be in that chassis at that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Can't say I'd want to be in that chassis at that speed.
    So long as it's pointed straight ahead...

Actually, these cars are very stable and handle very well given what they are - and the period they come from. A mid-late '70s Trans-Am can generate as much or more lateral Gs as a Corvette of the same era, for example. They are vastly superior to almosty any other '60s-era/'70s-era muscle car.

Their main defect is not cornering ability/handling. It is ride quality - and braking/stopping ability.

You want scary? Try a 1971 GTX 440 on 14-inch rims at 125.... .

Aerodynamics at speed would be my concern.

I remember stories of GIs in Germany who had their Z28s and Trans Ams shipped over, driving on the Autobahn scared to death with white knuckles at 110, being passed by Mercedes diesels.

I remember stories of GIs in Germany who had their Z28s and Trans Ams shipped over, driving on the Autobahn scared to death with white knuckles at 110, being passed by Mercedes diesels.
    At 110?

I can personally vouch for the stability of '70s-era Trans-Ams at those speeds - well within the reasonable envelope and not "white knuckle" at all. The TA's integrated aerodynamic aids are actually pretty good; remember the "whale tail" trunk spoiler? It provides downforce at speed, helping keep the back end planted. The front airfoils directed air around the car; the whole works was designed for SCCA road racing and was pretty high tech for the times.

These cars don't begin to get scary (in stock form) until around 130, at which point the skinny tires (225-70-15s were OEM) are way out of their depth. But with good modern 60-series performance tires and a set of good shocks (KYBs, Konis) these cars are quite competent handling high speed.

I remember taking some German colleagues and an American back to Heathrow after a consortium meeting. With a plane to catch I was pushing my car (4.2 ltr Daimler Sovereign) reasonably hard. The Germans were quite relaxed but the American was terrified - he had never travelled over 90 odd let alone 130.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Sounds like somebody is pulling your leg. The Mercedes diesels of the 1970s and 1980s as I recall could not see over 100 miles per hour. For instance a popular Mercedes Diesel back in the day was the Mercedes 300 SD. One of the most powerful diesels of the day was the 1980 Mercedes 300 SD turbo which made 120 horsepower (remember this is back when an Olds 350 V8 Diesel made 92 horsepower. I can't see how even a high performance diesel like the 300 SD turbo with only 120 horsepower and weighing well over 3,000 lbs was passing GIs at over 110 mph. It defies logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Sounds like somebody is pulling your leg. The Mercedes diesels of the 1970s and 1980s as I recall could not see over 100 miles per hour. For instance a popular Mercedes Diesel back in the day was the Mercedes 300 SD. One of the most powerful diesels of the day was the 1980 Mercedes 300 SD turbo which made 120 horsepower (remember this is back when an Olds 350 V8 Diesel made 92 horsepower. I can't see how even a high performance diesel like the 300 SD turbo with only 120 horsepower and weighing well over 3,000 lbs was passing GIs at over 110 mph. It defies logic.
    I'm not sure about this - so don't hold me to it - but I think these cars had overdrives and also very "high" gearing designed to allow fairly high top speeds. They were definitely slow as hell getting there, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

I'm not sure about this - so don't hold me to it - but I think these cars had overdrives and also very "high" gearing designed to allow fairly high top speeds. They were definitely slow as hell getting there, though!
    A snippet of data from the Mercedes Benz museum;

1980 Mercedes-Benz 300SD Turbodiesel (W116): The W116 300SD Turbodiesel was only sold in North America because it helped bring down Mercedes? overall fuel economy figures in this market in compliance with the CAFE laws. It was not particularly fast (0-62 mph took 17.1 seconds) but delivered good range and fuel economy. As the car was only sold in North America, it is no wonder that it has the by US law mandated sealed-beam headlights and 5-mph bumpers. The engine was 3005cc 5-cylinder motor taken from the W123 300D, but fitted with a Garret exhaust-turbocharger and produced 125-horsepower ? instead of the N/A versions 88-hp. The 300SD Turbodiesel came with a 4-speed automatic transmission and topped out at an impressive (for a heavy diesel of the era) 170 km/h (106 mph). The diesel W116 S-Class was produced from 1977 to 1980. 28,634 were produced.

FWIW.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Ken,

Thanks for the information. Indeed a 106 mph top speed for a W116/300SD Turbodiesel is quite impressive. I would have figured it would have hit just shy of the 100 mph top speed mark, but the overdrive gear as Eric mentioned is probably the key factor for it hitting a top speed of 106 mph.

Ken,

Thanks for the information. Indeed a 106 mph top speed for a W116/300SD Turbodiesel is quite impressive. I would have figured it would have hit just shy of the 100 mph top speed mark, but the overdrive gear as Eric mentioned is probably the key factor for it hitting a top speed of 106 mph.

Gee I didn't realise the W116 had a diesel at any stage
    I have ownd a W116.025 Otherwise known as the 280SEL. It was a great car, solid as a rock.

I have driven a 240D on the autobahns of Germany and yes they were sluggish up to their maximum speed, but would cruise all day at at that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_240D
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia