Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tortilla Curtain

Tortilla Curtain

I heard this term used today to describe the fence that is going up along the US-Mexico border.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

ColleenC2

Re: Tortilla Curtain

LOL!! What a mess and we the taxpayers get to fund this "tortilla curtain"

ColleenC2

Haven't really given this much thought but "talking pundits" were saying the only reason why the Democrats are going for legalizing illegals" is because they tradionally vote democrat, forget the percentage, but I don't believe that they are implementing the will of the "legal citizens" of the United States

And of course the Republicans all want to legalize them for the cheap labor force.

Politics = greed.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    And of course the Republicans all want to legalize them for the cheap labor force.

Politics = greed.
    Mebbe so but the Dems are no better (or worse). Look at what (nothing) has happened to restrict and control the lobbying industry as promised before the last election.

On the subject of immigration, and I've said this before, this amnesty bill is pretty close to what was passed in the early part of the Reagan administration. The trade off, then as now, was compassion for those who more or less put down roots in the US and a promise of strict border control. No Congress or Administration has since done a thing about border control: no money appropriated, no rigorous enforcement.

Then again, to strictly control the border something on the East German model would have to be created - mine fields and free fire zones - which nobody wants.

When whatever legislation in finally passed, everyone will declare victory and move on to some equally useless issue only to return to this one in the next generation.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I heard this term used today to describe the fence that is going up along the US-Mexico border.

Chip H.
    A real fence - one that would keep out the illegals - along with deportation of those here - would be fin with me. But I don't se either happening.... the die has been cast. And the corporate power elites want cheap labor - and a means of keeping US labor dilute and passive...

>>A real fence - one that would keep out the illegals - along with deportation of those here -<<

An electric fence-- treat them like cattle-- charge it with enough energy to knock them down.

mrblanche

Politics = greed.
    I heard one wise man...perhaps Dennis Miller...say that illegal immigration was the one area where both parties were perfectly willing to sell out the American public.

Staff

Illegal immigration is a symptom of a government gone mad, n ot the cause. The illegal immigration problem in the U.S. began in the late 1960's, almost coincident with the Maquilladora program started by Lyndon Baines Johnson. It allowed American companies to import items made in those factories duty free across the border. The program grew throught the 1970's and the 1980s, but really didn't get rolling until the late 1980's. With the further tarriff reductions required by NAFTA, the number of Maquilladora factories tripled since 1995.

I can't stand those ignorant fathead politicians on both "sides" of this non-issue. The get tough crowd will implement measures that will make it tougher for us to "show the papers." and the liberal crowd will crow that they are doing jobs "Americans won't do." What a crock. Americans did the jobs that these morons talk about a long time before there was a plentiful supply of hispanic and other workers in this country.

One thing is sure - there is plenty of rot to go around in the nations capital and in the main streets of America== not that there's many of those left...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph

Chip H.
    A real fence - one that would keep out the illegals - along with deportation of those here - would be fin with me. But I don't se either happening.... the die has been cast. And the corporate power elites want cheap labor - and a means of keeping US labor dilute and passive...
    Perhaps it should all be one country
    Politics oh Joy

OZ has the same problem with illegals, and our border is 30+- thousand miles long ....even an island can't keep them out.

Why can't they head south east to the land of the Shakey Isles and home of the Wicked Witch of the East. It surely is easier to get ashore on that coastline....They have no air force there now...or just a little one ....mainly a luxury broom (737) to carry the witch around ;D ;D

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Perhaps it should all be one country
    Back when Mexico's debt to the US approached their GNP, I was suggsting we send in the repo men.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

ColleenC2

OZ has the same problem with illegals, and our border is 30+- thousand miles long ....even an island can't keep them out.

You mean the Mexicans are swimming all the way over to there??? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC2

You mean the Mexicans are swimming all the way over to there??? ;D
    Ah no.... people from Indonesia, Thailand and other nations....but guess what ...they afe now going to your country from here......and we in return take some of your illegal immigrants.
    The joy of politics! ;D
    Rex

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    How are you counting that 30,000 miles? Every inch of shoreline?

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    How are you counting that 30,000 miles? Every inch of shoreline?

Whoops!, Duh!......KILOMETRES!!!
    Rex

mrblanche

Still, the question remains.

Because, after all, if you count that way, I have no doubt that we have something like 1,000,000 km of border.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

Politics = greed.
    I heard one wise man...perhaps Dennis Miller...say that illegal immigration was the one area where both parties were perfectly willing to sell out the American public.
    Quite so - because both parties are in thrall to the corporate power brokers who wield the real power in this country....

"Then again, to strictly control the border something on the East German model would have to be created - mine fields and free fire zones - which nobody wants. "

I think that's a red herring; the problem could be dealt with simply by making life in this country very dfficult for those who have no right to be here - instead of the current practice of non-enforcement and tacit approval. In other words - no public benefits/entitlements for non-citizens; enforcement of the law against those employers who hire illegals. Immediate arrest and deportation of any illegal who commits any crime, from traffic tickets up.

To say this is impossible is akin to saying we can't enforce laws against speeding or drunk driving or check kiting - so let's just grant blanket amnesty for all lawbreakers.

A country that can't control its borders and where citizenship has no real value is a country doomed to the ash heap of history.

Staff

Granting amnesty for speeders isn't such a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    "Then again, to strictly control the border something on the East German model would have to be created - mine fields and free fire zones - which nobody wants. "

I think that's a red herring; the problem could be dealt with simply by making life in this country very difficult for those who have no right to be here - instead of the current practice of non-enforcement and tacit approval. In other words - no public benefits/entitlements for non-citizens; enforcement of the law against those employers who hire illegals. Immediate arrest and deportation of any illegal who commits any crime, from traffic tickets up.

To say this is impossible is akin to saying we can't enforce laws against speeding or drunk driving or check kiting - so let's just grant blanket amnesty for all lawbreakers.

A country that can't control its borders and where citizenship has no real value is a country doomed to the ash heap of history.
    It's no red herring at all, we were talking borders.

As far as the rest of it is concerned, no new laws are needed; those laws, in essence, are already on the books - they were put in place at the last amnesty program. That enforcement has never been funded is the *real* issue and if our honorable government chose not to fund and enforce the last time is there any reason to expect that it will this time? Pay no attention to the wording of any of the proposed laws, those which I've read do not provide funding which I think is an appropriations matter in any case.

Consider enforcing present laws - depending on how many wets there are, and nobody has any idea, immense detention camps would have to be built to house those who decided to fight expulsion and it would take years to be rid of the stubborn ones. And goodness knows at what expense. Yeah, they have constitutional rights just as almost everybody else on US soil.

It's a fun subject to rant on but anyone who takes this seriously needs to be put in a room with a hundred or so of our Rob's train pics.

Back to borders: there are some thoroughly evil people who slip across and that is a worry.