Thread: I hate mornings

I hate mornings

I work nights. I'm not an early riser. So why does it have to get so bleeping light out so early?

It's only 8:32 AM, and there's someone outside doing yardwork with powered implements already. I'd like to sleep some more, but there's a shaft of sunlight that penetrates my blinds in my bedroom. Stupid east-facing windows.

Re: I hate mornings

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I work nights. I'm not an early riser. So why does it have to get so bleeping light out so early?

It's only 8:32 AM, and there's someone outside doing yardwork with powered implements already. I'd like to sleep some more, but there's a shaft of sunlight that penetrates my blinds in my bedroom. Stupid east-facing windows.
    Well, if moving is not an option, how about going 'Mediterranean?' Go to bed late, get up early, and take a long nap in the afternoon.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Could be worse.... if you lived here, you'd get to listen to my rooster commence his screeching around 3 in the morning!

I'm a very early morning person, though - so it doesn't phase me. I'm in bed by 8 p.m. mst nights... and at my desk by 5 a.m !

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Could be worse.... if you lived here, you'd get to listen to my rooster commence his screeching around 3 in the morning!

I'm a very early morning person, though - so it doesn't phase me. I'm in bed by 8 p.m. mst nights... and at my desk by 5 a.m !
    I too am an early morning riser. Early to bed, Early to rise. Makes a man healthy, wealth and wise. I've got two down pat, and working on the third. ;D

We live in an apartment complex, and they common thought these days is that if you light up the premises as if it were day time, it would cut down on crime -- which I personally think is hogwash -- all it does is to help light the way for the thugs. Anyway, we bought very heavy drapes that keeps all the light out of our room, until we are ready to let the sunshine in.

My beef is that the daylight saving time came early this year - which is a dilemma for me, as it is still daylight when we go to bed, and yet so very dark in the morning. I enjoy getting up and then go to the pool to swim - my remaining mode of exercise left to me. I usually go between 5 a.m. to 6 a.m. Whose idea is it anyway to keep changing the time. I hate it! Just take an half an hour from each time and leave it alone!

mrblanche

Well, there's early...and then there's early.

When I got into our terminal yesterday at 6:30 p.m., the dispatchers asked when I'd be available. I told them this morning. However, the boss called at midnight and needed a load moving at 2:30 a.m. I did it, but I didn't like it.

I no longer work nights, but when I used to drive my cab I also got peeved with noise in early morning.

Here, in late autumn it starts light around 0545hrs but when the sun goes down there is very little twilight.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

DonTom

"I work nights. I'm not an early riser. So why does it have to get so bleeping light out so early?"

I too work nights. My normal bed time is around 0800 hrs. My least favorite shift is the day shift. I have very dark blinds in this room so it stays fairly dark in the morning.

I usually wake up at around 1400 hrs or a little before. 5 to six hours sleep is all I need.

The only time I set an alarm clock is when I am on vacation to make the flight home or whatever. The last time I used an alarm clock was in Hong Kong (I set an alarm clock as well as leave a wake up message with the hotel when I need to wake up early for something important.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by gail

I

I too am an early morning riser. Early to bed, Early to rise. Makes a man healthy, wealth and wise. I've got two down pat, and working on the third.
    Working on a change of the plumbing, are we?

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    I too work nights. My normal bed time is around 0800 hrs. My least favorite shift is the day shift. I have very dark blinds in this room so it stays fairly dark in the morning.
    And my least favorite was swing (back when I had that kind of job). The night shift was much better (0001 to 0800), as I could socialize in the evening then run off to work. I covered the bedroom window with foil - that kept the light out very well.

DonTom

"And my least favorite was swing (back when I had that kind of job). The night shift was much better (0001 to 0800), as I could socialize in the evening then run off to work. I covered the bedroom window with foil - that kept the light out very well."

The big problem with the swing shift is one's social life. If it were not for that, swing would be my favorite work shift. But IAC, my last choice would be the "normal" day shift.

BTW, I like my work hours. I should, as I picked them. I "work" a full 40 hours in three nights in a row, from 1840 hrs to 0800 hrs, and have the rest of the week off. I am at "work" now, if we can call this sinecure as "work".

-Don-

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    BTW, I like my work hours. I should, as I picked them. I "work" a full 40 hours in three nights in a row, from 1840 hrs to 0800 hrs, and have the rest of the week off. I am at "work" now, if we can call this sinecure as "work".
    Obviously something is wrong here. What is the name of this outfit, so I can complain and, hopefully, mess your life up?

mrblanche

The hardest thing I have in my current work is that it's irregular, which experts say is a prescription for problems. Some of this is due to the nature of the business, but our mandatory log hour laws make it worse.

I find that I need about 7 hours of sleep to feel good, but I can usually only get about 5 if it's daylight out, especially if I'm sleeping in the truck.

DonTom

"Obviously something is wrong here. What is the name of this outfit, so I can complain and, hopefully, mess your life up?"

I "work" for the government, of course!

However, my job is to be here in case radio related things break during the night. And once in a while, it does get very busy. But most of the time, I just do whatever I want. I am a radio technician in a 9-1-1 center.

Also, all night time radio problems (during the three nights I am here) are reported to me first, from any city department. From there, I decide what has to be done, but I do not respond to any problems outside of this building. For other locations, I call other technicans out who are on call.

When I am goofing off from work (as I am doing now), it means everything is working fine and there are no complaints that are radio related. So they want me to do nothing as often as possible.

-Don-