Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda engine plant produces 15 millionth motor

Honda engine plant produces 15 millionth motor

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_10...wsarticle.html

Associates at the largest Honda auto engine plant in the world celebrated the 15 millionth engine produced since Honda of America Mfg., Inc. opened the Anna Engine Plant in 1985.
    Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Honda engine plant produces 15 millionth motor

Quote Originally Posted by chiph

Associates at the largest Honda auto engine plant in the world celebrated the 15 millionth engine produced since Honda of America Mfg., Inc. opened the Anna Engine Plant in 1985.

They must have made a few before then!
    Regardless, it's a huge industry! It might be why my local railway survives.. Japan has an appetitite for our coal. Ironic when you think how we served Britain for 150 years, and now they are in the EEC it's just family connection, and Asia pays well for our produce...
    All or most of which is USA-based in the case of US production? In raw materials, I mean...

I bought a lawnmower a couple of years ago..... made in China Talon
    Its 145ccs but cut wet grass and it is gutless.

I replaced B&S motor on a reel mower with a Honda after the conrod came out the side of the crankcase.
    The Honda was sweet, quiet and any thick grass it just kept going.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

The factory in the article is just for automotive engines.
    There's an additional factory in South Carolina that makes small motors for lawn mowers, generators, weed trimmers, etc.

I was surprised to see that they had their own foundry.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    The factory in the article is just for automotive engines.
    There's an additional factory in South Carolina that makes small motors for lawn mowers, generators, weed trimmers, etc.

I was surprised to see that they had their own foundry.

Chip H.
    Some think Honda is the best engine maker in the world and I would no argue the point.

mrblanche

Well, OK, maybe. Toyota's automotive engines seem to be more durable, if not more elegant. Do Suzuki and Kawasaki make engines for cars? I mean, I know there are Suzuki cars. But do they make the engine?

And as Eric knows quite well, Kawasaki has a long reputation for innovation and elegance in their engines.

I've been to the Marysville Honda plant.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Well, OK, maybe. Toyota's automotive engines seem to be more durable, if not more elegant. Do Suzuki and Kawasaki make engines for cars? I mean, I know there are Suzuki cars. But do they make the engine?

And as Eric knows quite well, Kawasaki has a long reputation for innovation and elegance in their engines.

One thing I don't like about my Honda Accord engine is it having a cam belt drive with the consequential catastrophe should the belt fail.
    The other thing on my car that is not durable is the metallic paint.
    Otherwise everything else is fine so far.

mrblanche

Well, one industry observer pointed out that factual inaccuracy of Honda's ad, "Honda--We Make It Simple." In fact, their switch to FWD made things a lot more complicated.

I've had several Hondas with never an engine problem. Now, if you want to talk brakes and transmissions, I'll remain silent.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Kaw doesn't make (and never has made) car engines; Suzuki may have - and may still be making them. Have to check. Yamaha worked with Ford on the V-8 used in thelast Contour SVT ...

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I'm pretty sure Kaw doesn't make (and never has made) car engines; Suzuki may have - and may still be making them. Have to check. Yamaha worked with Ford on the V-8 used in thelast Contour SVT ...
    I think Yamaha made the V-8 in the Taurus SHO, too, didn't they?

The first generation SHO, yes they did. I think for the 2nd gen Ford switched to someone else, but it just wasn't the same. 1st gen -- still desired today. 2nd gen -- meh.

Chip H.

mrblanche

I have heard of collectors picking up the early SHO's on non-Ford lots which didn't recognize what they had. A little like buying a beat up 1960 Fender Stratocaster for $50.

Sounds familiar!

That engine's also been used elsewhere... just can't recall at this moment...

I have heard of collectors picking up the early SHO's on non-Ford lots which didn't recognize what they had. A little like buying a beat up 1960 Fender Stratocaster for $50.
    I believe those SHOs will, indeed, become desirable collector cars in the years ahead. Esp. manual-equipped models.

It was a V6. About 2.9x liters.

The V8 for the SHO came along at the same time that they went to the all-oval styling trend for the Taurus. I don't know where that V8 came from, maybe Yamaha again, but I don't believe that either engine were ever used in anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    It was a V6. About 2.9x liters.

The V8 for the SHO came along at the same time that they went to the all-oval styling trend for the Taurus. I don't know where that V8 came from, maybe Yamaha again, but I don't believe that either engine were ever used in anything else.
    It's been awhile and I'd have to go back to the books to double check, but I am pretty sure the V-8 used in those last SHOs was jointly developed with Yamaha and Volvo (part of the Ford Premier Auto Group) and it's still in service today in the current S80 V-8.

How long have Ford owned Volvo, anyway?

If memory serves, circa 1999 - but again, would have to look it up to be sure!

If memory serves, circa 1999 - but again, would have to look it up to be sure!
    'Cause the V8 SHO appeared in 1996...