Thread: Cell Phones Erase Nissan Smart Keys

Cell Phones Erase Nissan Smart Keys

PC MAGAZINE has an article about how very close proximity of Nissan Electronic Car Keys can be erased by a cell phone. Well, at least if your phone destroys your key, you can use the phone to call for help <VBG>

Apparently, so far, this problem has affected only the Altima and G35.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2136409,00.asp
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Cell Phones Erase Nissan Smart Keys

Quote Originally Posted by Mase
    PC MAGAZINE has an article about how very close proximity of Nissan Electronic Car Keys can be erased by a cell phone. Well, at least if your phone destroys your key, you can use the phone to call for help <VBG>

Hilarious!

As a hater of cell phones, I get a big ol' schadenfreude kick out of this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Hilarious!

As a hater of cell phones, I get a big ol' schadenfreude kick out of this one...
    I have had a similar problem with my Discovery 2. Only a few weeks old. I used to leave the phone on the tunnel transmission. I received a test message having just started the car... Lights lit up on the dash. Rang Land Rover...simple ..............turn off engine....lock car with remote wait 30 seconds unlock with remote and restart.....
    All is good

BUT that sort of thing should NOT happen
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Hilarious!

I have had a similar problem with my Discovery 2. Only a few weeks old. I used to leave the phone on the tunnel transmission. I received a test message having just started the car... Lights lit up on the dash. Rang Land Rover...simple ..............turn off engine....lock car with remote wait 30 seconds unlock with remote and restart.....
    All is good

BUT that sort of thing should NOT happen
    With all the wireless transmitters out there, it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often!

The car won't start and the I-Key cannot be reprogrammed," he added.
    And the electronic keys aren't cheap, either.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

As a hater of cell phones,

Your dislike for cell phones, GPS's, EFI, etc, is proving your hightechphobia. You even use a Mac because of your dislike of real computers! I don't think I have ever met somebody as young as you who is so hightechphobic.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    As a hater of cell phones,

Your dislike for cell phones, GPS's, EFI, etc, is proving your hightechphobia. You even use a Mac because of your dislike of real computers! I don't think I have ever met somebody as young as you who is so hightechphobic.

-Don-

I just consider myself sensible.

I don't need a cell phone, so why on earth should I buy one?

And the Mac is a better computer; it's more stable, it's easier to use - just for openers.

DonTom

" it's easier to use"

That proves your high tech phobia! You're afraid that you cannot lean new technology!

"I don't need a cell phone, so why on earth should I buy one?"

There are two types of people in this world. Those who have a cell phone and those who someday will desperately wish they had one. I find mine to come in handy about twice per year. And it's still worth paying the monthly fees, IMO.

When your bike breaks down from something you cannot fix on the road, miles from anybody, but right under a cell phone tower, you will understand!

-Don-

"That proves your high tech phobia! You're afraid that you cannot lean new technology!"

Why should I choose the harder-to-use, less-reliable machine? I'm not a masochist! I buy Macs because they are more user-friendly as well as more reliable and stable. Those are two very compelling, rational reasons, sez me.

As far as cells: Their theoretical usefulness (as in some emergency that may never happen) is, to me, far outweighed by the annoyance and hassle they represent.

Again: I do not need a cell phone, so I do not have one - just asI feel no need for a 64-inch plasma screen TV or a $50,000 SUV!

Needless complexity and expense merely adds stress and expense to life. I pick and choose what I need, as I'm sure you do.

Why would I ever want more than I need?

Staff

Even though I own a cell phone, I find that story funny as well.

I am kind of in the middle when it comes to technology. I enjoy having a cell phone and a PC, but I detest having high tech garbage in my car.

Since I hate TV, I bought the cheapest one I could get at Sears ($100.00). When it dies, I will be hard pressed to buy another. I can't stand the idea of having to convert to HD. What a waste. We have gotten along for 60 years with the NTSC broadcast and it has served us well. HD is expensive nonsense. I don't need to see someone's zit on their forhead with impeccable detail.

As far as I'm concerned, most tehnology that we had back in 1970 was good enough for me. The only thing I am hoplessly addicted to is the Internet. It alone has prevented the country from going into an economic depression years after we would have otherwise.

>>Since I hate TV, I bought the cheapest one I could get at Sears ($100.00). When it dies, I will be hard pressed to buy another. I can't stand the idea of having to convert to HD. What a waste. We have gotten along for 60 years with the NTSC broadcast and it has served us well. HD is expensive nonsense. I don't need to see someone's zit on their forhead with impeccable detail.<<

HD TV is like having a movie theater screen in your room. HD TV transmits Dolby Digital Sound also. It makes all the NTSC TVs obsolete. I love it! I also have a TIVO unit that allows me to watch what I want at a convenient time ---

>>..As far as I'm concerned, most tehnology that we had back in 1970 was good enough for me.<<<

Tell me that the next time you have a major medical problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Since I hate TV, I bought the cheapest one I could get at Sears ($100.00). When it dies, I will be hard pressed to buy another. I can't stand the idea of having to convert to HD. What a waste. We have gotten along for 60 years with the NTSC broadcast and it has served us well. HD is expensive nonsense. I don't need to see someone's zit on their forhead with impeccable detail.<<

HD TV is like having a movie theater screen in your room. HD TV transmits Dolby Digital Sound also. It makes all the NTSC TVs obsolete. I love it! I also have a TIVO unit that allows me to watch what I want at a convenient time ---

>>..As far as I'm concerned, most tehnology that we had back in 1970 was good enough for me.<<<

Tell me that the next time you have a major medical problem!
    I agree with you on medical advances (who could not?) but agree with Swamp on HDTV; I understand some like it - but it's hardly necessary to be able to watch TV. I'm fine with my "basic" TV, too - and would rather not watch TV at all than be forced to buy some fancy TV I absolutely do not need!

>>but agree with Swamp on HDTV; I understand some like it - but it's hardly necessary to be able to watch TV. I'm fine with my "basic" TV, too - and would rather not watch TV at all than be forced to buy some fancy TV I absolutely do not need!<<

No need to "have to buy"--- a simple adapter for your old black & white TV will allow you to receice the new signals when the NTSC stuff goes off the air in 09

mrblanche

I just consider myself sensible.

I don't need a cell phone, so why on earth should I buy one?

And the Mac is a better computer; it's more stable, it's easier to use - just for openers.
    If there were as many Macs as there are PC's, that would no longer be true. One of the advantages of the Apple products is their relatively low numbers and low level of usage in government offices.

"If there were as many Macs as there are PC's, that would no longer be true. One of the advantages of the Apple products is their relatively low numbers and low level of usage in government offices."

Well...!

The Mac OS is more stable (and user-friendly) than the PC OS... I do agree with you, though, that there would be more problems if Macs were in wider ciruclation, chiefly from viruses online. Right now. Macs are more or less immune - no need for anti-virus software or firewalls (for the average person). Saves a lot of time, money and aggravation!