Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American Evangelism

American Evangelism

I think biblical-based evangelism is an excuse by otherwise unattractive men to keep their women with slave-live obsequiencse.

Lots of kids, subdued women.

Same as Muslims.

I expect to be fire-bombed now.

Re: American Evangalism

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I think biblical-based evangelism is an excuse by otherwise unattractive men to keep their women with slave-live obsequiencse.

Same as Muslims.

Or smitten down by others

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Same as Muslims.

Nah, a bucket of cold water should do very nicely.

American Evangelism should have been stamped out in the 19th century before it could gain a foothold. It is a pox.

>>American Evangelism should have been stamped out in the 19th century before it could gain a foothold. It is a pox.<<

Perhaps we should kill all the missionaries and end the conflict they cause around the world! Most folks are perfectly happy living their lives without change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose

Perhaps we should kill all the missionaries ...
    As long as they're not wasted, the are some South Pacific islanders who are said to think missionary stew a treat.

>>As long as they're not wasted, the are some South Pacific islanders who are said to think missionary stew a treat. <<

So be it-- There were a couple of cannibals eating a Missionary-- one at each end--- The one eating from the top asked the one eating from the bottom how he was doing-- the bottom feeder said he was having a ball-- the top feeder told him to slow down, he was eating too fast!

>>As long as they're not wasted, the are some South Pacific islanders who are said to think missionary stew a treat. <<

So be it-- There were a couple of cannibals eating a Missionary-- one at each end--- The one eating from the top asked the one eating from the bottom how he was doing-- the bottom feeder said he was having a ball-- the top feeder told him to slow down, he was eating too fast!
    Well, that didn't happen in Kiwiland, they ain't got none.

Did you hear about the beatnik cannibals?

They eat three squares a day.

>>Well, that didn't happen in Kiwiland, they ain't got none.<<

Let's send them some of ours--

The Exclusive Brethren have been financing our consrervative party. Apparently it's a fair balance, given that our ruling Labour Party is funded by commies. And union dues...

Mind you, I prefer the USA to any other major world power. It all started to go bad when Britain joined the Common Market... not to mention the ambitious Kaiser...

The Exclusive Brethren have been financing our consrervative party. Apparently it's a fair balance, given that our ruling Labour Party is funded by commies. And union dues...

Mind you, I prefer the USA to any other major world power. It all started to go bad when Britain joined the Common Market... not to mention the ambitious Kaiser...
    At least your Labour Party spells Labour correctly...here it is Labor.....perhaps they are trying to show their Latin skills
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

>>Mind you, I prefer the USA to any other major world power. It all started to go bad when Britain joined the Common Market... not to mention the ambitious Kaiser...<<

All that being true, what's next?

>>Mind you, I prefer the USA to any other major world power. It all started to go bad when Britain joined the Common Market... not to mention the ambitious Kaiser...<<

All that being true, what's next?
    A rise of militarism by China and India.

>>A rise of militarism by China and India.<<

Neither of which would have much affect here-- too much trade with both countries!

>>A rise of militarism by China and India.<<

Neither of which would have much affect here-- too much trade with both countries!

Taiwan comes to mind as a parallel to Cuba.... I cannot say what a big Chinese Middle Class might mean. It will be interesting to see the Olympics not for the sport but for the Chinese version of modernity and human rights and such... Not that I can comprehend it.

>>Taiwan comes to mind as a parallel to Cuba..<<

Mainland China would love to have Taiwan-- We don't want Cuba--- However, I certainly can't figure out why the hell we embrace VN and not Cuba!

mrblanche

A rise of militarism by China and India.
    Not a bad guess, I think. I can imagine any one of a number of scenarios that could have this result. You have a favorite one?

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

Not a bad guess, I think. I can imagine any one of a number of scenarios that could have this result. You have a favorite one?
    Some form of brinksmanship over Taiwan. Not that Mainland China needs it for any more than 'face'. The US/ Taiwan response to a likely military strong-arm in the region is nevertheless likely to parallel the Bay of Pigs or Cuban Missile Crisis.

China is quite busy storing-up good points in poor countries which have resources they want. But all big powers do that. I don't know whether China would be wanting to dominate the world,though.

Taiwan comes to mind as a parallel to Cuba....

Beyond the fact that they are both islands, there is no similarity at all. For that matter, Cuba runs more or less east-west while Taiwan runs north-south.

Taiwan has (?had) three distinct populations: the aboriginal who are much the same as the aborigines of the Philippines ('negritos' in the PI) and equally not a part of modern life; the Chinese (Han) who took over centuries ago; and the KMT Chinese (again Han) who fled the communist takeover of China in the late 40s. Further, Taiwan was pretty much a part of Japan for some 50 years until the end of WWII and during that time the Taiwanese got along very well with Japan, many families sending their children to one university of the next there. For the sake of accuracy, we should not overlook a Portuguese presence, Formosa and all that, not that it was all that important.

When the KMT (Nationalists - Chinats, whatever) took refuge on Taiwan they brought educated people with all manner of skills and their wealth. For a long time there was considerable unhappiness between the newcomers who took over and the earlier Chinese but that seems to have more or less passed and there is acceptance if not total happiness.

Cuba, on the other hand, managed to force it's educated population to run to the US bringing whatever portable property they had (the US got a good deal). I knew a physician who wqas a bed pan carrying orderly in a US hospital because he wanted to not only learn English, but learn it in a medical environment. - there were many others of that kind in all of the professions from what I understand. (In my second or third go at uni, I had a couple of Spanish language professors who were refugees from the Cuban land of happiness.)

Another thing you must understand about the Chinats and the Chicoms (mainlanders) is that for at least 50 years, it has been within capability of the mainland to take over Taiwan. Yet another thing is that the two places have been carrying on trade for at lest 50 years although much of it went through Hong Kong early on where new certificates of origin were obtained - not secret in any sense, a matter of 'face.'