Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where Is The Threat To America?

Re: Where Is The Threat To America?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    England, Italy, Spain, and other European countries HAVE sent troops to Afghanistan and Iraq.
    England has sent no troops to Afghanistan, Iraq, or anywhere else. The United Kingdom, however, has.

The big difference here is that the UK has been directly involved in the USA's illegal invasions, not part of the so-called 'peace-keeping force' or whatever. It's a matter of degree possibly, but as I see it, we share the USA's guilt; the rest of Europe doesn't.
    The government that sends the troops is the English government, whatever else they have chosen to call themselves. Those troops weren't sent by the Scottish parliament, nor the Welsh assembly, nor the parliament of Northern Ireland. Since all of those places have their own parliament, then it must have been the English parliament that sent those troops.

If you insist on calling it the UK, please never again use the misnomer "America" to describe the USA, either.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by pgranzeau
    If you insist on calling it the UK, please never again use the misnomer "America" to describe the USA, either.
    Just as long as he doesn't call us the U.S., since that is also the name of the country we call Mexico (The United States of Mexico).

gail

<>

What do you mean? I never seem to keep up on what is PC. I know that once upon a time it was said that 'the sun never set on English soil,' and then I was told that it was called Brittan, and then United Kingdom -- so please informed us of the correct usuage, but don't insult us by saying we aren't Americans, or can't use the word "America." What?

ColleenC2

can't use the word "America."

Be careful this could lead to North Americans, South Americans, Central Americans etc.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC2
    can't use the word "America."

Be careful this could lead to North Americans, South Americans, Central Americans etc.
    Do they refer to themselves as American?

Quote Originally Posted by pgranzeau
    The government that sends the troops is the English government, whatever else they have chosen to call themselves. Those troops weren't sent by the Scottish parliament, nor the Welsh assembly, nor the parliament of Northern Ireland. Since all of those places have their own parliament, then it must have been the English parliament that sent those troops.
    There is no such thing as the English government or parliament. The Westminster parliament & the government are responsible for the UK as a whole - there is no legislative or executive body responsible solely for the government of England. While Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland have their own parliament/assembly, they still return MPs to Westminster; certain limited powers are devolved to the local bodies, but ultimately they are ruled from London. Tony Blair's successor as Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, is in fact the MP for a Scottish constituency, Kirkaldy & Cowdenbeath; Blair was born in Edinburgh.

It's all a bit silly, really; Northern Ireland's a special case, but the cynic would say that Wales & Scotland have been given a sort of pseudo-independence with no actual power of self-government, particularly so in the case of Wales - Scotland, 300 years after the Act of Union, still has its own legal system. Tribalism is still alive!

I'm not aware of ever intentionally making that mistake, & apologise for the occasions when I have - I'm usually very careful to refer to the USA rather than 'America'.