Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am way lost

gail

I am way lost

Hi, everyone!

I had a wonderful trip to Orange County, California. I planned my trip in order to have the least traffic on the highways and motels. It worked like a charm. I left Las Vegas on Thursday morning. No one was on the highway yet, and it was a breeze. It seems that the bears were only after the big rigs.

Weather was as well as could be expected for Southern California. As those of you who are familiar with the area, you know that every morning has a damp haze until the sun burns it off, and every evening is cool. Not like Las Vegas with its beautiful crystal clear, blue skies and it bright sun.

We did mosey on over to the ocean, but like I expected it was cold and dreary. And leave to me to forget all of this, and I most frozed to death. Lucky for me that my grandsons came to my rescue, Travis, 16, loaned me his black billed cap - it was too big for me, but was OK. Steven offered his black pinstripe shirt for me to wear - it was too small, but I wore it anyway. They all loved it, and me - taking lots of pictures and dubbing me Gangsta Granny.

Coming home Monday was a breeze too, as we were heading into Las Vegas and Las Vegas was emptying itself into California. It was fun watching the bumper-to-bumper traffic, moving 5 mph and knowing that we weren't in it. 8) I do wish all my trips would be so uneventful.

However, the real reason that I am posting is that I'm totally lost in the posts and I'll never catch up - so if anyone wrote anything to me while I was out of it, will you re-post it or give me a post entry? Thank you, thank you very much. ;D

Re: I am way lost

Oh ...I thought this was a plea from a damsel in distress!

You should always pack your compass, map, and GPS ;D

I have only driven LA to Las Vegas... I remember a town called Bakersfield?? which had a tower with temperature of 100 showing. The radio stations were suggesting drivers turn their air-con down, to stop overheating problems. I guess that is due to the climb to 2200 or so feet?
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

I have only driven LA to Las Vegas... I remember a town called Bakersfield?? which had a tower with temperature of 100 showing. The radio stations were suggesting drivers turn their air-con down, to stop overheating problems. I guess that is due to the climb to 2200 or so feet?
    That's surprising - I thought that by the 70s US car makers had figured out how to make AC work well in any environment. Euro car makers didn't have a clue until the 90s, they could not understand the range of climate and altitude in the US.

D_E_Davis

You were really wandering if you hit Bakersfield, as that is weel off to the west of an LA-LV route. Bakersfield usually has about 80 days in a row where the afternoon temp exceeds 90F. Since the upper (north) end of LA city is at 3000 feet, the altitude is immaterial, but I-5 rises to nearly 6000 betwen the two.

One day I had a job on Bakersfield - got finished about noon and headed up Tehachapi pass toward the Mojave desert. Local temp was 98F, my 77 Chevy was holding a nice 70mph on the uphill, and the A/C was cold enough to frost a drink. Passed many stopped cars with steam rising around the heads of the vexed motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    You were really wandering if you hit Bakersfield, as that is weel off to the west of an LA-LV route. Bakersfield usually has about 80 days in a row where the afternoon temp exceeds 90F. Since the upper (north) end of LA city is at 3000 feet, the altitude is immaterial, but I-5 rises to nearly 6000 betwen the two.

One day I had a job on Bakersfield - got finished about noon and headed up Tehachapi pass toward the Mojave desert. Local temp was 98F, my 77 Chevy was holding a nice 70mph on the uphill, and the A/C was cold enough to frost a drink. Passed many stopped cars with steam rising around the heads of the vexed motorists.

Maybe Baker something or just Baker....I can't really remember. It was about 2/3 of the way.
    Rex

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Maybe Jesus will tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Who me?? nah
    but maybe he will tell Gail
    Rex

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Who me?? nah
    but maybe he will tell Gail
    I am grateful I do not hear disembodied voices in my head....

ColleenC2

Maybe Baker something or just Baker....I can't really remember.

Well I must be god because in was Baker if you were apprx. 2/3 the way to Las Vegas. And yes the sign is still there to turn off your a/c's for apprx. 12 miles while vehicles go up the incline.

How do you know that? There may be 'silent' disembodied voices in you head and they are the worst kind.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    That's surprising - I thought that by the 70s US car makers had figured out how to make AC work well in any environment. Euro car makers didn't have a clue until the 90s, they could not understand the range of climate and altitude in the US.
    I confess a grudging admiration for US folks, especially the settlers, in those early days before air-condtioning.

But don't tell anyone.

A song written by kiwis.....perhaps it is catching ;D

Rex

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

U.S. carmakers had the A/C thing figured out until something ugly called the Montreal Protocol went into effect. It banned CFC-12, which is the most efficient refrigerant for automotive applications. By the 1994 model year, all cars had to have R134 based A/C system. R134 systems operate at higher pressures, making it necessary for the compressor to work harder to produce the same amount of cooling. Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat

U.S. carmakers had the A/C thing figured out until something ugly called the Montreal Protocol went into effect. It banned CFC-12, which is the most efficient refrigerant for automotive applications. By the 1994 model year, all cars had to have R134 based A/C system. R134 systems operate at higher pressures, making it necessary for the compressor to work harder to produce the same amount of cooling. Oh well....
    And now they will have us believe that this has cured 'holes' in the ozone layer, or something. I wonder if the decrease in efficiency has had some worse effect on the d'd environment?

Cars are cool enough these days so something has had to have happened.

DonTom

"The radio stations were suggesting drivers turn their air-con down, to stop overheating problems."

What do they know? They used to have signs in the desert to turn off your A/C in summer. Not any more, AFAIK,

These days, in newer cars, it would be a better idea to turn the heater on to help keep it cool as that's one extra fan to cool the engine coolant.

But it seems all newer cars have a coolant temperature gage, so just keep an eye on it.

The car might even get warmer with the A/C off, as electric fans come on when the A/C is on, otherwise it waits for a certain temperature.

Only in old cars, such as from the 1970's, is it best to turn off the A/C in extreme heat. If you can get a newer car to overheat, you have a problem somewhere! But don't worry, HightechPhobic Eric can tell you how to fix anything older than yourself! ;D

So keep cool!

-Don-

>>Only in old cars, such as from the 1970's, is it best to turn off the A/C in extreme heat. <<

I traveled in extreme heat using the A/C in 60's and 70;s model cars and never had a problem of overheating --- Old wives tales -- perhaps if you had a clogged radiator--- or, had a waterpump replaced and they left the fan shroud off!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Only in old cars, such as from the 1970's, is it best to turn off the A/C in extreme heat. <<

I traveled in extreme heat using the A/C in 60's and 70;s model cars and never had a problem of overheating --- Old wives tales -- perhaps if you had a clogged radiator--- or, had a waterpump replaced and they left the fan shroud off!

DonTom

"I traveled in extreme heat using the A/C in 60's and 70;s model cars and never had a problem of overheating "--

Even in 115F, uphill, as is common on some CA desert freeways?

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "I traveled in extreme heat using the A/C in 60's and 70;s model cars and never had a problem of overheating "--

Even in 115F, uphill, as is common on some CA desert freeways?

-Don-
    Made it across CA and AZ during a record July, in a Ford van pulling a loaded 6x12 dual-axle U-Haul, without turning off the AC. Getting out of the fan to fill up with fuel in Arizona was breathtaking.

>>Even in 115F, uphill, as is common on some CA desert freeways? <<

New Mexico mountains and all of West Texas---