Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am way lost

DonTom

Re: I am way lost

"Made it across CA and AZ during a record July, in a Ford van pulling a loaded 6x12 dual-axle U-Haul, without turning off the AC. Getting out of the fan to fill up with fuel in Arizona was breathtaking."

I have done that trip several times on motorcycles (June, July, August). Overnight LOW still above 100F! I can remember the night in July where I stayed in an air conditioned hotel in Yuma, AZ. At 0200 hrs, I wanted to leave the hotel to get something to eat at the 24 hour Jerry's Restaurant across the street. When I opened the door to leave the room, it almost knocked me out from the heat. Felt like walking into a blast furnace. I had to go back in the room to prepare myself for the shock, so I could try again.

I guess that A/C worked very well!

-Don- (Back in SSF)

DonTom

"New Mexico mountains and all of West Texas--"-

I have been all over those areas too, on motorcycles, mostly back in the 1970's.

But I have been thinking about this. Some older cars did a lot better than others. Even my 1978 RV does very well in the heat with the After-Market (York) A/C. But this 11,500 LB RV has a four core radiator which is quite large in area too (as well as very thick). I cannot make the coolant get too hot in it under any conditions I have been in.

But it seems all the newer cars do very well with the A/C on in deserts.

Of course, a newer radatior helped a lot in the older cars, but still not as cool as the newer ones, IMO.

Or is it just the fact that they center all the gauges in the newer cars until something very serious happens? Perhaps we're just being fooled by gauges that rarely move from center! ;D

-Don-

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    U.S. carmakers had the A/C thing figured out until something ugly called the Montreal Protocol went into effect. It banned CFC-12, which is the most efficient refrigerant for automotive applications. By the 1994 model year, all cars had to have R134 based A/C system. R134 systems operate at higher pressures, making it necessary for the compressor to work harder to produce the same amount of cooling. Oh well....
    And, of course, the conspiracy theorists see a connection between the expiration of Dow's patent on R-12 and the date of its banning.

DonTom

"And, of course, the conspiracy theorists see a connection between the expiration of Dow's patent on R-12 and the date of its banning."

That's what I've heard. Is there any real evidence that R-132A is easier on Mother Nature than R-!2? In this world that runs on BS, I don't know what to believe.

-Don-

>>But I have been thinking about this. Some older cars did a lot better than others. Even my 1978 RV does very well in the heat with the After-Market (York) A/C. But this 11,500 LB RV has a four core radiator which is quite large in area too (as well as very thick). I cannot make the coolant get too hot in it under any conditions I have been in.<<

Seems to me that the cars that overheated were owned by folks who liked to keep their radiators free of bugs by installing one of theose fine screens in front of them. Any screen that is fine enough to stop bugs is fine enough to restrict airflow. Most window screens will restrict airflow by 50% or more-- that will cause overheating.
    I never used one-- I simply brushed off the excess bugs and ate the ones that were done enough ---

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "And, of course, the conspiracy theorists see a connection between the expiration of Dow's patent on R-12 and the date of its banning."

That's what I've heard. Is there any real evidence that R-132A is easier on Mother Nature than R-!2? In this world that runs on BS, I don't know what to believe.

-Don-
    I dunno about that, but I can tell you this:

A properly functioning "old school" GM AC system with the big Harrison compressor (not the shitty little radial things they use now) and R-12 refirgerant can, literally, frost the vents.

Those systems WORKED! Of course, they also took enormous power to run. You could feel the drag when the compressor engaged. They were also heavy as hell; the compressor alone weighed probably 40 pounds.

But nothing cools like one of those old Harrison AC units. The new ones don't even come close.

My friend's 1975 Corvette still has the original Frigidaire compressor in it.

Huge thing -- the size of a loaf of bread.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

"The new ones don't even come close."

While I realize that R-12 is supposed to work better than R-134A. in all of my newer cars, even on a very hot day (above 100F) I can get the A/C to over cool to the point that I need to turn it down.

Also, the A/C units seem to be much better built these days. Seems I never have to recharge them, they work year after year, even though the 134A molecules are smaller, requiring better seals, etc.

I don't find the fact that R-12 is no longer used in newer cars to be a problem. Seems to me the automotive A/C units today work better than they ever did in the R-12 days, especially in the reliability department.

-Don-

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Maybe Baker something or just Baker....I can't really remember. It was about 2/3 of the way.
    That's more like it. Baker is a small town in the middle of the desert, at the base of a long grade to the north-east that rises to nearly 5000ft. Severe accidents are frequent on the grade due to the wide speed disparity between the trucks and the cars. In the days when it was an undivided, 3-lane road the carnage was dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Maybe Baker something or just Baker....I can't really remember. It was about 2/3 of the way.
    That's more like it. Baker is a small town in the middle of the desert, at the base of a long grade to the north-east that rises to nearly 5000ft. Severe accidents are frequent on the grade due to the wide speed disparity between the trucks and the cars. In the days when it was an undivided, 3-lane road the carnage was dreadful.

Thanks for that....it was around that town that I heard the messages re turning off air-con...... that climb would be the reason.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia