Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire psi?

DonTom

Tire psi?

In my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2L) pickup truck, I checked the tire PSI today. The sticker on the driverr side door jam says fill to 41 PSI. I hear we are supposed to go by this sticker and not what it says on the tire.

But what about when the max pressure on all four tires say "35 PSI maximun", but the sticker on the vehicle says 41 PSI is the normal PSI? That's the case with this truck! This is the first I have seen a higher PSI on the sticker than the max shown on the tires.

So should it be 35 or 41 PSI?

-Don-

mrblanche

Re: Tire psi?

Are the tires on it the original tires, or identical thereto? If not, did you check that the size was identical, including any "LT" size code?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    In my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2L) pickup truck, I checked the tire PSI today. The sticker on the driverr side door jam says fill to 41 PSI. I hear we are supposed to go by this sticker and not what it says on the tire.

But what about when the max pressure on all four tires say "35 PSI maximun", but the sticker on the vehicle says 41 PSI is the normal PSI? That's the case with this truck! This is the first I have seen a higher PSI on the sticker than the max shown on the tires.

So should it be 35 or 41 PSI?

-Don-
    Are the tires you have OE? Or OE spec? It doesn't sound like they are. I'd be careful about over-inflating the tires - and would not exceed the stated max recommended psi listed on the tire sidewall.

I'd also be careful about carrying any heavy loads until you can verify this.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

It's pouring down rain here (again), or I'd go out and check on my F150. It has the original LT tires on it, and I don't remember the recommendations on it. I know I check them and go to the full allowable pressure when I carry a capacity load.

DonTom

"Are the tires on it the original tires, or identical thereto?"

The sticker says the tires should be P225/75R16XL.

All four tires are P245/75R16.

-Don-

MikeHalloran

Use the pressure marked on the tire.

The originals must have been replaced with tires that can't take quite as much pressure.

DonTom

"Use the pressure marked on the tire."

That's what I figured. But I didn't check what the tires said until after I filled them all to 41. I will remove a few PSI before I use the truck.

BTW, is the "P245" mean my tires are thicker than stock?

BTW, this pickup truck has a habit of fishtailing in snow, but they are all AT tires. Is there anything else practical that can help in the snow? By any chance would thinner stock tires be better in snow ?

Or is this rather normal for longer pickups (quad door cab) in the snow? We try not to drive it in the snow anymore after a few near accidents and sliding off the road more than once. All four brakes seem to be okay, but this happens when braking. It does have ABS, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that it is really working. I cannot hear the brakes "click" in the snow as I can with my Jeep. We usually drive the 4WD Jeep in the snow, but once in a great while, we need a truck to move something or whatever.

-Don-

BTW, is the "P245" mean my tires are thicker than stock?
    Wider. The value is in millimeters.

Too wide or too narrow, and they won't fit the wheel rim.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

Wider. The value is in millimeters.

That was what I meant. Wider, not "thicker".

Thanks for the info.

-Don-

mrblanche

BTW, this pickup truck has a habit of fishtailing in snow, but they are all AT tires. Is there anything else practical that can help in the snow? By any chance would thinner stock tires be better in snow ?

Or is this rather normal for longer pickups (quad door cab) in the snow? We try not to drive it in the snow anymore after a few near accidents and sliding off the road more than once. All four brakes seem to be okay, but this happens when braking. It does have ABS, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that it is really working. I cannot hear the brakes "click" in the snow as I can with my Jeep. We usually drive the 4WD Jeep in the snow, but once in a great while, we need a truck to move something or whatever.

-Don-[/color]
    Pickups are usually pretty lousy in snow, due to their weight being concentrated in the front. It SHOULD have Positraction, but may not. That helps, but it's not a cure-all.

The wider tires could make handling a little worse on the highway, because the tires are made for a little wider rim, so the sidewalls are flexing. The lower pressure will contribute to that. LT (or XL) tires have stiffer sidewalls, usually.

In other words, someone did you no favor by putting car tires on that truck.

MikeHalloran

By any chance would thinner stock tires be better in snow ?
    Narrower tires with aggressive tread would be less awful in snow.

A few hundred pounds of sand, cement, tools, whatever, in the bed would help more.

mrblanche

I have driven pickups in the snow, and I've always gotten where I'm going...but I can't say it was fun.

The sticker says the tires should be P225/75R16XL.

All four tires are P245/75R16.
    Have you checked the load rating on the tyres? I don't know what 'XL' signifies, but I suspect it could mean 'extra load' or something similar. The fact that the tyres are marked with a lower maximum pressure than the truck manufacturer specifies leads me to believe that you may have tyres which are not load-rated high enough for the vehicle weight.

I'd inflate to the maximum pressure marked on the tyre, but as this is well below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended pressure it could have an adverse effect on handling.

I think the best thing you can do is contact the tyre manufacturer & ask if these tyres are suitable for your truck; if they are suitable they should also be able to give advice on the correct pressure to run them at.

DonTom

I often hear about the disadvantages of wider tires. Poorer MPG. not as good in snow, etc.

But what are the advantages, if any, of wider tires?

-Don-

mrblanche

More bling.

And, theoretically, more traction on pavement.

DonTom

"More bling"

WTF (excuse my army talk) is "bling"?

-Don-

"More bling"

WTF (excuse my army talk) is "bling"?

-Don-
    It's a "hip hop" rap culture term; it refers to gaudy equipment like add-on chrome, oversized wheels, etc. Think Caddy Escalade with 21 inch wheels and thug rap booming on the stereo...

DonTom

It's a "hip hop" rap culture term

My age is showing again--along with the fact of having no kids. ;D

-Don-

It's a "hip hop" rap culture term

My age is showing again--along with the fact of having no kids. ;D

-Don-
    Don't worry about it - you are not missing out on anything.

Rap - and rap "culture" - is perhaps the most loathsome, noxious development of the past 20 years.

Even worse than the cell phone!