Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire psi?

Re: Tire psi?

It might be good to refer to it as an anti-culture.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    It might be good to refer to it as an anti-culture.

Chip H.
    That's a good way of looking at it... . Rap is the deadening, inarticulate noise of the ghetto thug (white or black). It is abrasive, ugly, coarse - the embodiment of a "Lord of the Flies" worldview that glorifies violence, sexual domination and power-lust.

It hasn't even got the redeeming quality of musical talent, either. It is atonal, monotonous - defined by a crude "beat" accompanied by a fast-talking thug spewing doggerel "poetry." (Heavy metal rock, at least, usually involves actual instruments played by actual musicians - not electronically-generated "tracks" for the thug to "rhyme" to, etc.)

To paraphrase a line, when I hear rap music, I reach for my gun... .

DonTom

"Rap - and rap "culture" - is perhaps the most loathsome, noxious development of the past 20 years."

I think of rap crap as scumbag noise. It certinly doesn't qualify as music. But there was a time when the same was said about Evils.

BTW, the next time my truck needs tires, I will make sure that they put on stock tires.

-Don-

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    I think of rap crap as scumbag noise. It certinly doesn't qualify as music. But there was a time when the same was said about Evils.

BTW, the next time my truck needs tires, I will make sure that they put on stock tires.

-Don-
    Would that be Evils Parsley?

DonTom

"Would that be Evils Parsley?"

Elvis Presley, of course. I don't know how I managed to spell it like that!

BTW, since my tires are wider than stock, does that mean my rims are nonstock too?

-Don-

BTW, since my tires are wider than stock, does that mean my rims are nonstock too?

-Don-
    Probably not.

Usually, you can fit larger/wider tires on a given rim than the tires that came OE.

For example, my Trans-Am originally came with 225/70-15 radials mounted on 15x7 rims.

I still have the OE 15x7 rims, but I use 245/60-15 tires, which fit perfectly.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

-Don-
    Probably not.

Usually, you can fit larger/wider tires on a given rim than the tires that came OE.

For example, my Trans-Am originally came with 225/70-15 radials mounted on 15x7 rims.

I still have the OE 15x7 rims, but I use 245/60-15 tires, which fit perfectly.
    You need a set of 20" chrome dubs on it with 35 series tires! LOL

"You need a set of 20" chrome dubs on it with 35 series tires! LOL"

If I ever mutilate my car in that way, I hereby forfeit any right to continued oxygen... and may the ghost of John Z. have mercy on my soul!

Now here's a good-looking wheel:

While on subject of "tires",

Car with Front Wheel drive
    Front tire treads looks more wore down than Rear pair
    Manual recommends 'cross switching' (rotation)
    Why not just switch RF to RR and LF to LR ??
    Makes the job easier
    What's your preference on such topic ??

DonTom

"Why not just switch RF to RR and LF to LR ??"

My guess would be to help make up for slight differences in alignment.

I assume it would make no difference if everything was perfect, such as alignment being absolutely perfect.

But this isn't a perfect world, just as Wallgreens says ;D.

-Don-

If they're directional tread, then rotating straight-back is pretty much the only option. Otherwise, I would criss-cross them to extend their life.

Pity the poor owners of high-end cars with directional tread *and* different sized wheels front-to-back. They can't rotate at all -- if there's excessive or unusual wear, their only option is to fix the problem and replace the tire.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan
    While on subject of "tires",

Car with Front Wheel drive
    Front tire treads looks more wore down than Rear pair
    Manual recommends 'cross switching' (rotation)
    Why not just switch RF to RR and LF to LR ??
    Makes the job easier
    What's your preference on such topic ??

I usually just move front to back, probably from a long prejudice against reversing the rotation of radial tires, which experts say is not longer a concern.

Another plan would be to just wear out the front tires and replace them, and not worry about rotation. That way, you'll only have to replace two tires at a time, instead of four.

[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Another plan would be to just wear out the front tires and replace them, and not worry about rotation. That way, you'll only have to replace two tires at a time, instead of four.
    That's my thinking. Tyre rotation seems to me to be something only Americans do. I think it can actually reduce the life of a tyre, as wear patterns fro& side to side tend to be different. Moving a tyre to another location can result in excessive wear over apart of the tread until it wears to the pattern of its new position; frequent rotation will exacerbate the problem.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    That's my thinking. Tyre rotation seems to me to be something only Americans do. I think it can actually reduce the life of a tyre, as wear patterns fro& side to side tend to be different. Moving a tyre to another location can result in excessive wear over apart of the tread until it wears to the pattern of its new position; frequent rotation will exacerbate the problem.
    That seems to be contrary to my not-extensive experience. For several cars now I've had no trouble exceeding the tire maker's warranted life, and I'm a regular rotator. Now, that remark of yours would certainly hold true for a vehicle with alignment problems.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    For several cars now I've had no trouble exceeding the tire maker's warranted life, and I'm a regular rotator.
    Warranted life is, I would think, set at a very low figure to give the illusion of security without the need to pay out!

D_E_Davis

Warranted life is, I would think, set at a very low figure to give the illusion of security without the need to pay out!
    Not today, it appears. On the Lumina the OEM set was warrented at 60,000 miles, and exceeded that - the present set has a figure of 40,ooo and looks to pass that quite well.

Not today, it appears. On the Lumina the OEM set was warrented at 60,000 miles, and exceeded that - the present set has a figure of 40,ooo and looks to pass that quite well.
    60,000 miles? If I get 25,000 miles out of a tyre I consider myself lucky! I can't help thinking that to get such high mileage they are using a very hard tread compound; they must be compromising grip in the interests of longevity.

mrblanche

Or living better through the miracles of chemistry.

D_E_Davis

60,000 miles? If I get 25,000 miles out of a tyre I consider myself lucky! I can't help thinking that to get such high mileage they are using a very hard tread compound; they must be compromising grip in the interests of longevity.
    That reply astounds me - I can't imagine why you should get such a short life. I suspect the general state of the road surfaces here are no better than in GB. And, no, I haven't had any complaints about cornoring adhesion or wet traction.

Perhaps you should get your next set from a US dealer, if the customs duty isn't too much.

That reply astounds me - I can't imagine why you should get such a short life.
    That's roughly the sort of mileage I was getting from Goodyear NCT2's on my Peugeot 405 - 10 tyres in 62,000 miles. No doubt I could have got higher mileage tyres; I also replace tyres when the tread wears down to 2mm - UK legislation requires a minimum of 1,6mm