Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 110

Thread: The truth about BS

  1. #1
    DonTom
    Guest

    The truth about BS

    Who disagrees with any of this?

    http://quinnell.us/natural/manifesto.html

    -Don-

  2. #2
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408

    Re: The truth about BS

    Good stuff!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Who disagrees with any of this?

    http://quinnell.us/natural/manifesto.html

    -Don-


    Only a skeptic would take issue with any of it.

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,012

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Who disagrees with any of this?

    http://quinnell.us/natural/manifesto.html

    -Don-
    While I agree with much of what the author writes I also think he's made some universal statements that go beyond what I'd sign onto.

    For instance:

    While my intellect and reason tells me the Christian Bible is clearly not the "word of God" I do not dismiss the possibility that there may be far more to existence and creation than we imagine (or even can imagine). If Einstein, for example, saw "something" in creation, that is fairly compelling to me. I do not believe in a personal Sky God issuing commandments, ukase or Fatwas. But dismissing childish superstitions and keeping an open mind about creation, existence, etc. are not mutually exclusive.

    I also (on another subject) don't dismiss out of hand the possibility that humans may have untapped potentials - or that the Earth has been visited by aliens at some point. We have no idea what a civilization tens of thousands of years older than ours may have achieved, in terms of their understanding of physics. Much that we take for granted today would have been hard to distinguish from magic as recently as 200 years ago. It's reasonable to assume that in, say, another 200 years (or less) we will have acquired the knowledge and ability to travel to other star systems. It is therefore reasonable to imagine other civilizations will also master these things - and perhaps have done so long before we are able to - and thus been here already. I'm not saying it's happened. Juyst saying it's not crazy to believe it could have happened.





  5. #5
    D_E_Davis
    Guest

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I also (on another subject) don't dismiss out of hand the possibility...that the Earth has been visited by aliens at some point.
    It's probably more than a possibility. How else do you explain GWB?


  6. #6
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I also (on another subject) don't dismiss out of hand the possibility...that the Earth has been visited by aliens at some point.
    It's probably more than a possibility. How else do you explain GWB?

    One would expect that aliens who are capable of interplanetary travel would be superior beings. GWB is retarded even by Earth standards.

  7. #7
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: The truth about BS

    It's amazing to me that such a manifesto that I would probably agree with almost completely can then be followed by such fatuous ignorance. It's enough to make me believe that reason and logic is dead, and Americans in general are incapable of holding more than three facts in their consciousness for more than 15 seconds.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    It's amazing to me that such a manifesto that I would probably agree with almost completely can then be followed by such fatuous ignorance. It's enough to make me believe that reason and logic is dead, and Americans in general are incapable of holding more than three facts in their consciousness for more than 15 seconds.
    Three?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    Only a skeptic would take issue with any of it.
    Have you no faith?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg


    Have you no faith?
    I have plenty of that, it's misplaced at the moment; I think my wife threw it out with the empty cans and bottles last week.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: The truth about BS

    Beef-flavoured sauages.

    That'll fix it.

    Do you want a rough draft of my extended caption for this engine?


  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Beef-flavoured sauages.
    Local and pure pork, the only failing being enough pig fat.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    Local and pure pork, the only failing being enough pig fat.
    Pork is bad. it says so in the Bible. Next you'll be advocating the eating of beans. Heathen!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    Local and pure pork, the only failing being enough pig fat.
    Pork is bad. it says so in the Bible. Next you'll be advocating the eating of beans. Heathen!
    Beans on toast is a meal for heathens but I have never done that. We bake beans adding molasses and a lot of sow belly - that's a Yankee dish.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

    Beans on toast is a meal for heathens but I have never done that. We bake beans adding molasses and a lot of sow belly - that's a Yankee dish.
    This will be why you don't give proper respect to the Queen. Poor diet.

    What are we going to do with you? I suppose we could send a gunboat...
    Have you worked-out yet how to run an effective railway system?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

    Pork is bad. it says so in the Bible. Next you'll be advocating the eating of beans. Heathen!
    Has Gail converted you! Yee gads!! ;D

    Beans.....My shearers are the only ones who complained about getting baked beans for lunch...usually with cheese on top and with sausages or bacon ( oh pork again)
    I think it could have been that being bent over shearing and the flatulence created by beans made things uncomfortable.
    I think the answer is eat more beans!!! Heinz of course...or Watties in NZ
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Has Gail converted you! Yee gads!! ;D

    Beans.....My shearers are the only ones who complained about getting baked beans for lunch...usually with cheese on top and with sausages or bacon ( oh pork again)
    I think it could have been that being bent over shearing and the flatulence created by beans made things uncomfortable.
    I think the answer is eat more beans!!! Heinz of course...or Watties in NZ
    You don't get to heaven by eating beans.

  18. #18
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: The truth about BS

    "If Einstein, for example, saw "something" in creation, that is fairly compelling to me."

    Not to me. If Einstein believes in such unproven nonsense as creation, it only means he is superstitious.

    I do NOT claim to be more intelligent than was Einstein. But I do claim to be less superstitious than he was. He has made stupid statements such as:


    "Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind."
    --Albert Einstein


    Obviously, mixing science with even a drop of religious nonsense is equal to pure junk science.

    -Don-

  19. #19
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: The truth about BS

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Have you worked-out yet how to run an effective railway system?
    Yes. Leave the freight that complains to fend for itself.

  20. #20
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,012

    Re: The truth about BS

    I was reading a book recently on string theory; the author Michio Kaku (another physicist) made reference to Einstein's awe (and that of other physicists) at the elegance and grandeur of the universe. That's what I was trying to articulate.

    I don't believe in anything like the personal gods espoused by the major religions (neither did Einstein). But I do not discount the possibility that there may be something beyond our ken, something that triggered or caused or set up the conditions that rendered our universe possible.

Similar Threads

  1. Truth telling...
    By Eric in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 07:16 AM
  2. Propaganda vs. truth and 911
    By Eric in forum What happened to our liberty?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 06:33 AM
  3. TRUTH OR FICTION????
    By gail in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 02:00 PM
  4. Truth will Prevail
    By gail in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 01:12 PM
  5. Truth In Advertising:
    By misterdecibel in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •