Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider a diesel car for your next new car ?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Would you consider a diesel car for your next new car ?

If there were more than a handful of diesel-powered passenger vehicles available - and in particular - if you could buy a modestly priced, mid-sized family-type car (or sport sedan) with a diesel engine - would you consider doing so?

It seems to me such vehicles are a helluva lotmore appealing (and a helluva lot more practical) than the typical hybrid - on several levels.

Am I in the minority on this?

mrblanche

Re: Would you consider a diesel car for your next new car ?

Until the draconian 2007 diesel engine requirements came into effect, I would have (actually did) consider a Volkswagen TDI. But the new emissions requirements are almost impossible to put into a car for any reasonable price.

Diesel may not be all that cheap to operate everywhere. In my area the price of diesel was greater than that of premium gasoline for quite a while (maybe only during heating oil season, maybe longer) and it seems that something like a Civic, if carefully driven, would be both cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Diesel may not be all that cheap to operate everywhere. In my area the price of diesel was greater than that of premium gasoline for quite a while (maybe only during heating oil season, maybe longer) and it seems that something like a Civic, if carefully driven, would be both cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.

That;s a good point. Oftentimes, the driving public looks at the price of fuel at the pump. What they fail to see is that the spread between regular and premium is only 25 cents. That said, at 3 bucks a gallon, that difference is only 10 percent, while diesel engines get 20-40 percent better mileage.

If the average Joe saw the EPA sticker of diesel car at a car lot, he may take another look, so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Until the draconian 2007 diesel engine requirements came into effect, I would have (actually did) consider a Volkswagen TDI. But the new emissions requirements are almost impossible to put into a car for any reasonable price.
    It's a shame... I've had the opportunity to drive a few of these late model CDI-type diesel passenger cars and they are impressive - as well as funt o drive.

I'd buy one, if I were in the market - and such cars were available...

Well, is there a mid-sized, gas-powered sport sedan on the market that can make 0-60 in 7 seconds and 45 mpg like the E320 Benz can?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Well, is there a mid-sized, gas-powered sport sedan on the market that can make 0-60 in 7 seconds and 45 mpg like the E320 Benz can?
    Surely not! But ....

As Tony the 'street guy' said, "Nobody gets something for nothing." It may be that the difference in cost between a Benz and a Civic negates any saving on fuel.

Now if I were rich, or a tree hugger, or needed to impress people, it might be a different story.

If they can make one that's fun to drive, sure why not!

XRocketman1967

Nope not in my future plans(30years out)
    My next car will be a Saturn Sky Redline so I doubt it will see a diesel in 2k8.

Not sure I should answer this ;D

Slight bias here
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

VW just announced it is returning the Jetta diesel to the lineup....

mrblanche

They said that it was a temporary hiatus. I think it was to get the new emissions things up and running.

They said that it was a temporary hiatus. I think it was to get the new emissions things up and running.
    Yep... it's a great car; I've test driven it extensively. I also like the Benz E-Class diesel. It's smooth, quiet, powerful - and rivals the mileage of the best '07 econoboxes....

>>Yep... it's a great car; I've test driven it extensively. I also like the Benz E-Class diesel. It's smooth, quiet, powerful - and rivals the mileage of the best '07 econoboxes.... <<

For the difference in up front cost, a person can well afford to drive a gas hog for a looooong time.
    Yesterday, I was walking across a parking lot and a TDI VW came idling by--- clackityclackityclackityclack--- If I can hear the engine running outside the car, I'll be able to hear it inside the car---
    Diesels have not made the grade for me as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Yep... it's a great car; I've test driven it extensively. I also like the Benz E-Class diesel. It's smooth, quiet, powerful - and rivals the mileage of the best '07 econoboxes.... <<

For the difference in up front cost, a person can well afford to drive a gas hog for a looooong time.
    Yesterday, I was walking across a parking lot and a TDI VW came idling by--- clackityclackityclackityclack--- If I can hear the engine running outside the car, I'll be able to hear it inside the car---
    Diesels have not made the grade for me as yet.
    Yes, but a car like the Jetta TDI should easily last 300,000 miles... and on the inside, these new gen. diesels are very quiet. I can vouch for that.

Yes, but a car like the Jetta TDI should easily last 300,000 miles...
    Fine if you're a travelin' man with a territory which covers Texas and Oklahoma. At 12k miles per year, that amounts to 25 years of driving.

Fine if you're a travelin' man with a territory which covers Texas and Oklahoma. At 12k miles per year, that amounts to 25 years of driving.
    I'm a cheap SOB... so I would do exactly that. New cars are money pits; the only way they make sense, financially, s to drive the wheels off them.

I would rather waste my discretionary income on other foolishness!

I'm a cheap SOB... so I would do exactly that. New cars are money pits; the only way they make sense, financially, s to drive the wheels off them.
    Well, I'm one, too. But maybe in a situation - there is no way I can reasonable expect to be driving, let alone on this side of the dirt, 25 years from now. I like 'new' for whatever reason and do tend to drive the wheels off them. The only car I've bought since a 73 98 (real POS) that didn't go 0ver 100k miles was the Miata but it was 15 years old when I got rid of it. Had I plenty of space, it would likely still be here. Another thing, 'used' is absolutely the best if one is able to do most of the mechanical work.

With many cars, one might as well buy new rather than 'relatively' new, the value is better.

D_E_Davis

Do you recall that Mercedes TV ad some years ago showing a vintage sedan crusing along mountain roads while the voice-over noted it had clocked over a million miles?

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

Do you recall that Mercedes TV ad some years ago showing a vintage sedan crusing along mountain roads while the voice-over noted it had clocked over a million miles?
    Yes!

It was a great ad - and I endorse the sentiment behind it. I can see putting money into an interesting old classic or hobby car; I can't see spending $30k (or more) on a new car - and then getting rid of it only a few years later, eating the huge depreciation, etc.

If I spent that kind of money on a new car, it would be with me for at least 10 years and 170,000 miles....