Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My kind of OF!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

My kind of OF!

Re: My kind of OF!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    It's always playtime if one's head is screwed on right.

While on the subject of youtube and ancient: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD6ZD1Igxr0

This is a very old Django Reinhardt thing, a period piece in many respects except for the music which seems to me to be 'forever.'

Love that Django Reinhardt clip, I've seen it many times and never get tired of it. DR was revolutionary in his day, and his skill is even more impressive when you realize that he only had two functioning fingers on his left hand. But regardless of skill, his acrobatics on the instrument never overshadowed the melody, and I think that's what makes that music timeless.

gail

Six Flags used to proudly fly those flags, and then :-[ they became politically incorrect and now they fly pentants. Who can name the flags and tell us what they represented? This is something most 5th graders aren't taught.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Love that Django Reinhardt clip, I've seen it many times and never get tired of it. DR was revolutionary in his day, and his skill is even more impressive when you realize that he only had two functioning fingers on his left hand. But regardless of skill, his acrobatics on the instrument never overshadowed the melody, and I think that's what makes that music timeless.
    I have 'The Best of DR' and a couple of singles but it's not enough. There are several CDs out there and I'd like to get the most inclusive one or two. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Six Flags used to proudly fly those flags, and then :-[ they became politically incorrect and now they fly pentants. Who can name the flags and tell us what they represented? This is something most 5th graders aren't taught.
    Depends on which Six Flags you're talking about, since there are so many now.

But the six flags over Texas are Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States of America, and the United States of America.

Depends on which Six Flags you're talking about, there are so many now, and they have a different made-up story for each one.

The original one, in Arlington TX, the six flags represented the six countries whose flags have flown over the land that is now the State Of Texas. Spain, France, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, CSA, and USA.

Notice how they're all smoking?

You never see that anymore!

Yep, and on every album cover I've seen, Django has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

Today life is all bettererererererer, thanks to the safety nannies.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Depends on which Six Flags you're talking about, since there are so many now.

But the six flags over Texas are Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States of America, and the United States of America.
    You got it! Now, why did they stop flying those flags and went to those lame pentants?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Yep, and on every album cover I've seen, Django has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

Reinhardt also died at age 43.

"Reinhardt also died at age 43."

I don't smoke; don't endorse smoking, either - but I find it curious that, on the one hand, we have a culture that has become puritanically obsessed with stamping out smoking that is also worshipful of grotesque over-consumption and characterized by morbidly obese people shoveling over-sized fast food burgers into their gullets as they lumber along at 15 mpg in their oversized SUVs!

From smoking?

From smoking?
    He stroked out. Surely the smoking didn't help...

So they say.

ColleenC2

Maybe it was that oversized hamburger

mrblanche

So they say.
    Of course, a truly pragmatic government (or maybe Machiavellian?) would encourage smoking.

So they say.
    Of course, a truly pragmatic government (or maybe Machiavellian?) would encourage smoking.
    In the original tobacco case, both sides knew that and both had every reason not to bring it up.

Asian countries don't particularly work against it. In Melanesia, tobacco is almost a form of currency.

I smoked for 9 years and enjoyed it. Now I drink to steady my hand when super-detailing toy trains.
    If only I could stop when listening to Jago Reinhart... or Brahms 2nd Piano..

oh, and the Amazon.co.uk book purchased 30 April arrived today 18 June via Germany. I got despatch doc which estimated 15 May. Apparently the tax in Luxemburg is less... but I didn't get the benefit. Death to capitalists! They actually sent the book to Europe to be posted via Germany to improve profits. You were right Dave Brand. It wasn't fraud, it was just "slow".

Here is a c1964 pic of pre EEC Britain at a town called New Milton, between Bournemouth and Southampton. Five miles to the south is The Solent channel where the great transatlantic liners may have gone, south again by five miles is the Isle of Wight, and to the north, the New Forest, and beyond that the west of the Salisbury Plain.
    Two men are drinking tea in the canvas shelter. The rail-sidings to the right, where coal staithes have various grades of domestic coal shovelled from wagons, and general goods. Centre-left a 1954-built 4MT 'Mogul' 2-6-0 engine, and centre, a 'spam-can' ... a c1948 light pacific 4-6-2 heads an express train towards Bournemouth at [usually here] between 75 and 80 mph.
    These engines had brilliant boilers and steaming capacity, with chain-drive piston valves for three driving cylinders. Most were rebuilt with Walcshaerts valve gear and various other improvements and worked until 1967, a few remained in the 'air-smoothed' chain-valve form.

In summer the cabs were quite hot unless you knew the tricks. In winter the trains kept time.

Is that van a Commer or a Bedford?