Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The death of the old car hobby?

Re: The death of the old car hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Just imagine trying to restore, say, a 2007 Z06 Corvette in 2037.... no thanks! <<

So say you now, but what about that rich young fellow then who has all the necessary resources and time?

Sure - but again (and per my original post) most people - that is, most car hobbyists - are not rich and don't have such resources!

This is a key difference between "then" (when the old car hobby was an Average Joe hobby) and "the future" (when it almost certainly will be the exclusive indulgence of the very affluent - and the highly skilled - due to the massively greater complexity and thus cost of doing so)
    I'm with Jim on this.

The electrics in a 2007 Z-06 can be operated by generic computers as used in engine dyno tests, and re-written to suit different fuel and driving. The mechanics are conventional for the most part. Plastic manifolds will either survive, or be repairable, and Edlebrock do alloy ones anyway... And if you can't build a genuine LS7 and want to save money you'll be able to buy an LS1 LS2 or LS6 for peanuts.

It won't be long before public domain software will allow re-writing your car tuning on a laptop, as you drive, but it will hurt warranties! Currently this software is held by dealers, and I'll bet it is being stolen by employees!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    >>Just imagine trying to restore, say, a 2007 Z06 Corvette in 2037.... no thanks! <<

So say you now, but what about that rich young fellow then who has all the necessary resources and time?

Sure - but again (and per my original post) most people - that is, most car hobbyists - are not rich and don't have such resources!

This is a key difference between "then" (when the old car hobby was an Average Joe hobby) and "the future" (when it almost certainly will be the exclusive indulgence of the very affluent - and the highly skilled - due to the massively greater complexity and thus cost of doing so)
    I'm with Jim on this.

The electrics in a 2007 Z-06 can be operated by generic computers as used in engine dyno tests, and re-written to suit different fuel and driving. The mechanics are conventional for the most part. Plastic manifolds will either survive, or be repairable, and Edlebrock do alloy ones anyway... And if you can't build a genuine LS7 and want to save money you'll be able to buy an LS1 LS2 or LS6 for peanuts.

It won't be long before public domain software will allow re-writing your car tuning on a laptop, as you drive, but it will hurt warranties! Currently this software is held by dealers, and I'll bet it is being stolen by employees!
    I can see the ECU part - but what about all the "small parts" - individual sensors, for example - and systems such as the ABS, traction/stability control, SRS, auto-ride suspension - and all the related bits and pieces? Then there's the head unit and small parts for the climate control, the electrically-driven dash/gauges... and hell, just replacing the calipers/rotors on many late model cars is an $800-$1,000 job (or more) and that's with a ready supply of parts for "late model" cars. Imagine the mark-up in 25 years for NOS/repro pieces.

It's currently uneconomic to repair a TV - because it's cheaper to just throw it away and get a new one. A moderncar is a helluva lot more complex than a TV. I would bet you the same will be true - is already becoming true - when it comes to late model cars...

>>would bet you the same will be true - is already becoming true - when it comes to late model cars...<<

That's what scrap yards are all about!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

>>would bet you the same will be true - is already becoming true - when it comes to late model cars...<<

I'd bet the air bag issue, by itself, will seal the deal. Replacing the bags - at least two on most newer cars; many with four or more - is a $2,000 plus job all by itself. I guess you could deactivate them after say 15 or 20 years (to avoid potential problems like deployment-for-no-reason) but that would be illegal under current law, just as it's illegal to remove/disable emissions equipment. So unless the law changes... .

I'll stick with my old POS pre-computer carbureted smog-spewing Pontiac!

I'd bet the air bag issue, by itself, will seal the deal. Replacing the bags - at least two on most newer cars; many with four or more - is a $2,000 plus job all by itself. I guess you could deactivate them after say 15 or 20 years (to avoid potential problems like deployment-for-no-reason) but that would be illegal under current law, just as it's illegal to remove/disable emissions equipment. So unless the law changes... .

I'll stick with my old POS pre-computer carbureted smog-spewing Pontiac!
    Who would know if the air bags were disconnected or-- even removed and the circut jumpered?

[I can see the ECU part - but what about all the "small parts" - individual sensors, for example - and systems such as the ABS, traction/stability control, SRS, auto-ride suspension - and all the related bits and pieces? Then there's the head unit and small parts for the climate control, the electrically-driven dash/gauges...  
    I agree some electrical bits will be like old computers. So to that extent it will be a matter for ingenuity and circumvention. And I would guess there might be a category of running old cars legally without all the ABS and climate control necessarily working. Cars over 40 years old are exempt current warrant-of-fitness standards here, but I think still have to pass a safety test.
    Oh, and if you are "driving to place of repair" you are OK too. Unless your vehicle presents a danger to others. [or something like that].

Certainly the electrics in modern luxo-cars with air suspension etc would be a headache.

At least my car is smart enough to de-activate the passenger-side airbags if there's no one occupying the passenger seat.

By the way, are there any stats for what percentage of drivers will ever have an airbag deploy? How many of you here have actually had an airbag in your face?