Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are the poor larger than other people?

Why are the poor larger than other people?

This guy thinks he's got an answer -- it's because they eat highly processed foods, because they're cheaper than all-natural foods.

Why are they cheaper? Farm subsidies.

http://www.michaelpollan.com/article.php?id=88

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Why are the poor larger than other people?

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    This guy thinks he's got an answer -- it's because they eat highly processed foods, because they're cheaper than all-natural foods.

Poor people also tend to be sedentary (gyms are expensive) and have bad habits - such as drinking a lot (alcohol is highly caloric).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Poor people also tend to be sedentary ...
    So what you're saying is that if the fat poor got jobs they probably would not be fat and poor?

"So what you're saying is that if the fat poor got jobs they probably would not be fat and poor?"

No - I'm saying that people with good jobs/high incomes, etc. tend to be more health (and image) conscious and do things like exercise/go to the gym. Poor people don't have the discretionary income, the time (in the case of the working poor) or (usually) the interest. Add to that the greater propensity to drink a lot (beer especially) and eat lots of carb/fat-laden processed food... and bingo.

The irony is that being plump was once a sign of affluence; now it's the other way around!

"So what you're saying is that if the fat poor got jobs they probably would not be fat and poor?"

No - I'm saying that people with good jobs/high incomes, etc. tend to be more health (and image) conscious and do things like exercise/go to the gym. Poor people don't have the discretionary income, the time (in the case of the working poor) or (usually) the interest. Add to that the greater propensity to drink a lot (beer especially) and eat lots of carb/fat-laden processed food... and bingo.

The irony is that being plump was once a sign of affluence; now it's the other way around!
    I accept none of that. Apart from those with physical or mental disabilities, the poor are poor because they want to be.

BS you seem to judge everything by what you see in the mirror!

"I accept none of that. Apart from those with physical or mental disabilities, the poor are poor because they want to be."

Weren't we talking about why they're fat... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose

BS you seem to judge everything by what you see in the mirror!
    Which part is BS?

I'm pretty sure that obesity is more an issue for the economic underclass than it is for middle and upper income people - at least it was until recently, when everyone began to get fat!

Farm subsidies were dumped in NZ years ago. It is a crazy idea to have them!
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

>>Which part is BS? <<

You judge everyone's situation based upon your situation.

>>I'm pretty sure that obesity is more an issue for the economic underclass than it is for middle and upper income people - at least it was until recently, when everyone began to get fat! <<

I was a heavy kid-- I slimmed down when I was a teen and went into the air force wieghing 168 with a 31 in waist. Five years later, I weighed 200. As a USAF pilot, I was considered middle income -- and kinda remained there for most of my working life. I did get into the higher bracket before retiring and my weight was 265-- I slimmed down again to 210 and then did a slow gain back to 250.
    All this has had NOTHING to do with my income. I made more money fat than I ever did at a lower weight.
    The young man to whom I sold my business 3 years ago weighs in at 300 pounds and is 6'1" tall--- He's a big boy! He makes more money at 27 years old than most of his college educated slim counterparts--
    What part of all that confuses you?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    I accept none of that. Apart from those with physical or mental disabilities, the poor are poor because they want to be.
    I would agree that people (with some exceptions for various reasons) are poor because they make bad choices. I would also say that their inability to make good decisions extends to their diet.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

I never said these were absolutes; but is it not true that obesity is more common among very low income people? That's my understanding, anyhow.

"I accept none of that. Apart from those with physical or mental disabilities, the poor are poor because they want to be."

Weren't we talking about why they're fat... ?
    They're fat because they want to be, same think as being poor - stupidity. Every one of those poor lardo dumps could eat better and cheaper (and be thinner) with a bit of care in shopping and food preparation. As one gets more rural. shopping gets harder but gardening and canning get easier.

gail

I think that causes of overweight is as myriad as any other disease, and one day when people and the medical profession wake up and accept this condition for what it is - a disease with dire consequences.

I realize that as a whole our society live in the land of milk and honey -- rich and poor alike. The rich of course, can afford fancy low-calories, low-fat meals with the fanciest and tastiest fruits and vegetables. They also can afford surgery, lipo, tummy-tucks, etc. to get the illusion going, whereas fat poor people are stuck with the fat.

I do not know what the ratio between the rich and poor are, but when I see street people and beggars, I've yet to see a fat one. I also know that it is generally thought that fat people are stupid, lazy, etc. But I don't believe that to be true.

What I do notice though is that there are big families and thin families. No one fault a family of six-footers, or three-footers, also a family of skinnies are given blessing of strenght amd great will-power.

My own experience of growing up, and I would have been considered upper-middle class for the times, I was pathetically bird-like thin. As a young woman I was also thin. I did not exercise, or show any will-power on what I ate. I loved ice cream sundaes, candy, etc. I have to admit that I felt a distain for those overweight people. I thought to myself - look at all that I eat and I'm skinny, what must they be eating to be so fat. Then, everything changed, and I started packing on the pounds, the more I dieted the heavier I got.

I am fortunate in the fact that I gain proportionate, meaning that there is no one area, giving me the illusion of weighing less than I do. My heart goes out to those who gain weight in just one area, giving them a grotesque appearance.

Through studying my family's history though I have found that many women in my family have followed the same pattern that I have. Not my mother though, she is willowy and has always been. But my grandmothers on both sides. The happy new though is that both of them became skinny again in their old age. I'm exciting over getting old. I will wear tight stretch pants when that day arrives. 8)

ColleenC2

I grew up in that family my mother speaks of and all three of my sisters were anorexic, it took us years to accept that it was o.k. to have some "meat" on our bones. I remember once this guy I was engaged to said, "when I grab onto a woman I want something to grab onto". he thought I was way to skinny, I was a size 0.Guys who think that women cannot have any "meat" on there bodies or have to be "hard bodies" have done a diservice to the psychy of women.

A minor population is genetic. But the middle working class, sits at a desk , psychologically being drained and then trying to crame in exercise, husbands and childrens, often time are too exhausted to take the time to go out and exercise.

Also families are so busy running their kids to soccer, ballet, gymnastics, dance lessons, basketball, football etc. than when it comes to "meals" fast foods works, which is extremely sad, if mom's and dad's took some time off from work and stayed home to prepare meals we could eliminate alot of this overweight in society, but home cooking takes time. Also, when Mom's did stay home with the children there was alot of "GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY". Not anymore, everybody is running around so much that once the whole family is home everyone is exhausted. Play is now something that has to be scheduled.

>>I never said these were absolutes; but is it not true that obesity is more common among very low income people? That's my understanding, anyhow. <<

You've been seeing too many "bacon grease" jokes---

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC2
    I grew up in that family my mother speaks of and all three of my sisters were anorexic,
    I'm anorexic, too, every time I look in the mirror, I see a fat man.

>>I'm anorexic, too, every time I look in the mirror, I see a fat man.<<

There's obviously nothing wrong with your eyesight! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>I'm anorexic, too, every time I look in the mirror, I see a fat man.<<

There's obviously nothing wrong with your eyesight! ;D
    It's easy to get beefy - even if you're like me and are pretty active. A year ago, I let myself swell to 218 - but reigned myself in before things got out of hand! (Once you get to a certain point of fatness, you have to trade in your sport bike and ride a "Hardly Ableson" with all the other weighty waddlers!)

>>It's easy to get beefy - even if you're like me and are pretty active. <<

And there you have it-- It's also easier to simply stay beefy than it is to work hard enough to be slim. I'd rather be beefy & healthy than skinny & sickly--- I have found that the work required for me to be skinny is far beyond anything I wish to do. I'm in great shape, and ROUND is a shape!