Thread: War in Iraq

War in Iraq

I just heard a radio broadcast saying this and that happened and many people got killed.

It was EXACTLY like the British press in the 1930s.

'Our' civilsation didn't have to care too much. We owned all trade... shipping. Britain controlled trade back then.

The US now 'owns' free trade, or did so after WW2, and now with dependency on imported oil has to not only get the fuel from the Middle East but also be guardian of free enterprise. Shipping and free trade requires that the US will allow it. From this the US now gets very cheap fuel, cheap electronics, and acts like it is he only game in town.

Market will solve everything?

Re: War in Iraq

Our fuel isn't any cheaper than yours, apart from various national and local taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Our fuel isn't any cheaper than yours, apart from various national and local taxes.
    Yes and you are the guaranters of free trade, because that's your national 'thing'. We do free trade too. The Dems won't.

As I wrote in CServe in the 1990s you should never have let those French give you guns left over from 1800AD and chuck the Brits out over some modest tax.. The US wants free trade? We put out some warships, and kept ownership of trade, as you dissolved in Civil War... and land grabs... Mexico... and now you don't know what to do except double glazing and guns. Britian still had the moral ground, legal ground, and ships of war after WW1, to allow free people to trade.

But you guys came in reluctantly to defend Britain, and certainly stop the Japanese.
    I can do conversation Japanese.

Seems to me the Dems represent US extremists and the Reps some 'middle-maybe conservative'. You won't escape. FWB will be recordeed as a 'trier'. His strut leaves me cold.

>>As I wrote in CServe in the 1990s you should never have let those French give you guns left over from 1800AD and chuck the Brits out over some modest tax<<

JDM would have never gone for wearing one of those atrocious white wigs in court!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose

JDM would have never gone for wearing one of those atrocious white wigs in court!
    MrDecibel thinks he world is 'all the same' when fuel is the same price everywhere. Ah. No. Fuel price is not the same eveywhere, mostly for political reasons.

JDM would wear a wig if he was Queen's Counsel. And he believed in the cause.
    You have to keep the peasants in their place, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

I don't think those wigs have anything to do with the Queen; rather, they are a way to keep the head lice from interbreeding.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

I don't think those wigs have anything to do with the Queen; rather, they are a way to keep the head lice from interbreeding.
    You mean they keep your lice from being able to breed with the lice of your adversary---

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Stop being so practical.

Next you'll be advocating for no railway through your client's land. Or later, advocating for a station nearer the house...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose

MrDecibel thinks he world is 'all the same' when fuel is the same price everywhere. Ah. No. Fuel price is not the same eveywhere, mostly for political reasons.

Except for a few oil producing countries where the price is unusually low, the price for the same fuel in most western countries is fairly uniform. The biggest difference is the fuel tax rates in each country.