Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1964 Chevy Corvair

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: 1964 Chevy Corvair

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    The Corvair was the last time GM ever did anything quirky.
    Engineering-wise, I'd say that's true. The Corvair was indeed a radical design - for GM. Air-cooled engine, rear-mounted transaxle; unibody, etc.

But as much as Corvair was hurt by Nader - and as much as GM got singed by the bad PR - it's equally true (if not more so) that Corvair was a victim of bad timing. It was initially quite popular; but as the '60s rolled on - and cars like Mustang and GTO and their imitators appeared, the Corvair was outclassed. Gas was cheap and people wanted powerful cars with big V-8s. Corvair could only offer a boxer six and less than 200 hp, even in top of thel ine turbo trim.

My own belief is that had the Corvair been introduced in, say, 1973 rather than 1959, it could have been a huge hit. Especially if the car brought out as a "1973" model was an updated/improved version of the '65-'69 "second generation" Corvair, which was an excellent car and vastly better than the earlier 1960-'64s....

It was light, nimble, fun to drive and got decent gas mileage. With a five-speed transaxle and some "tuning," it should have been capable of 30 mpg on the highway - which circa 1973 would have been extremely appealing!

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    The Corvair was the last time GM ever did anything quirky.
    Engineering-wise, I'd say that's true. The Corvair was indeed a radical design - for GM. Air-cooled engine, rear-mounted transaxle; unibody, etc.

But as much as Corvair was hurt by Nader - and as much as GM got singed by the bad PR - it's equally true (if not more so) that Corvair was a victim of bad timing. It was initially quite popular; but as the '60s rolled on - and cars like Mustang and GTO and their imitators appeared, the Corvair was outclassed. Gas was cheap and people wanted powerful cars with big V-8s. Corvair could only offer a boxer six and less than 200 hp, even in top of thel ine turbo trim.

My own belief is that had the Corvair been introduced in, say, 1973 rather than 1959, it could have been a huge hit. Especially if the car brought out as a "1973" model was an updated/improved version of the '65-'69 "second generation" Corvair, which was an excellent car and vastly better than the earlier 1960-'64s....

It was light, nimble, fun to drive and got decent gas mileage. With a five-speed transaxle and some "tuning," it should have been capable of 30 mpg on the highway - which circa 1973 would have been extremely appealing!
    Imagine what it could do today!!! I still liked the stylilng of the 1961-64 models best. Like I said in another post, GM should do that car again. That would be hot.

MikeHalloran

A lot of stylists liked the early Corvair, too. That beltline got copied a lot.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    A lot of stylists liked the early Corvair, too. That beltline got copied a lot.

The more we talk about Corvairs, the more I reget having sold my '64... it was a really nice car and just the model I wanted - manual transmission, 110-hp engine - and the "right" color (Daytona Blue). The turbocharged Spyders were problem-prone when new (turbos are hard to get "right" with carbs) and they're much more expensive to buy, too. I'm not a big fan of the automatic in a Corvair. This is a car that really needs a stick. And of course, the '64 was the best-developed of the first generation cars, being the last of the line. It had the best engines and the rear leaf did a lot to correct the tuck-in problem that Nader bitched about so much (even though the SOB never even drove a Corvair).

That prick will be on my shit-list forever for what he did to the Corvair.... .