Thread: Sobriety test

mrblanche

Sobriety test

Ever practical, the Scots!

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/4978/

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Sobriety test

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    It would not play for me... AOL's godawful "browser" being the likely culprit.

As an aside:

"Impairment" probably varies considerably from individual to individual. For example, take a person who is a marginal driver completely sober. Give him a single beer. He may be well within the lawful limit, BAC-wise - but is more a danger to himself and others than a very highly skilled driver with three or four beers in him (and a BAC level above the lawful threshold).

One could also argue, I'd submit, that "impairment" encompasses more than just trace (or even larger) quantities of alcohol in one's system. Again, I would argue that a marginally skilled driver - especially the "fearful" ones who drive 10-15 mph under the posted limit, who can't seem to help wandering across the double yellow, who as a matter of course are unable to "hold the line" in a curve, etc. - is by definition "impaired" - alcohol or no alcohol - if the term has any meaning, that is.

But since we won't do anything about inept drivers, provided they're sober - and must take into account the effects of alcohol on the most marginal drivers out there - we have ever-lower BAC thresholds that now define "drunkeness" (and "impairment") where it probably doesn't exist in at leas half of the cases, if not more of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

As an aside:

"Impairment" probably varies considerably from individual to individual. For example, take a person who is a marginal driver completely sober. Give him a single beer. He may be well within the lawful limit, BAC-wise - but is more a danger to himself and others than a very highly skilled driver with three or four beers in him (and a BAC level above the lawful threshold).

One could also argue, I'd submit, that "impairment" encompasses more than just trace (or even larger) quantities of alcohol in one's system. Again, I would argue that a marginally skilled driver - especially the "fearful" ones who drive 10-15 mph under the posted limit, who can't seem to help wandering across the double yellow, who as a matter of course are unable to "hold the line" in a curve, etc. - is by definition "impaired" - alcohol or no alcohol - if the term has any meaning, that is.

But since we won't do anything about inept drivers, provided they're sober - and must take into account the effects of alcohol on the most marginal drivers out there - we have ever-lower BAC thresholds that now define "drunkeness" (and "impairment") where it probably doesn't exist in at leas half of the cases, if not more of them...

That's a fair statement but ...

No matter how good you are, you are, one way or the next, less good after any amount of alcohol. Given that and given that the idiots out there are dangerous, simple survival suggests that one be as good as possible.

Of course that's OF talk, I felt otherwise at one time.

>>Of course that's OF talk, I felt otherwise at one time.<<

Gee, that's hard to believe--- :