Thread: "Fuselage body" Mopars

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"Fuselage body" Mopars

Here's a shot of one of the last of the good Mopars... an early '70s Charger, with the "Fuselage" body:

http://www.musclecarmuseum.com/gallery.shtml

Re: "Fuselage body" Mopars

They were great looking cars. I loved the colors and all the different exterior color and decal schemes. There were so many different size and shape factory decals on those fuselage body mopars, that if you were creative with the option order sheet it was easy to have a one of the kind car. Mopar made a serious mistake starting in about 1975 when they went real conservative with their styling, even the '75 Charger was closer to a Cordoba than the previous fuselage body Charger. Seems now Mopar is back on tract and Dr. Dieter Zetsche wants to sell Chrysler since he's done "feathering his own nest" with all the profits he drained from Chrysler the last almost 10 years. Hopefully the new owner will allow Chrysler to continue to go back to its roots in making fun one-of-a-kind cars that really perform.

Did you check out the '70 Charger in the gallery, not many were equipped with a trunk rack and most of those were 318 powered cars. Have to wonder about the guy who ordered a high-performance R/T Charger with a trunk rack. Of course that's what made those years so much fun was the factory had so many different options for customers to choose from.

Also did you notice the '70 orbital orange GTO Judge in the gallery, beautiful car, one of my favorites. I have always loved that car after seeing it as a kid in the movie Two Lane Blacktop.

mrblanche

The taillights spoil that year. The '67 was much better looking, and much cleaner.

I like the '67 GTO which is a classic. However I really like the '70, '71, and '72 GTOs. I think Pontiac hit a homerun with these three years (the strong side crease on the 1/4 panels was the icing on one fine cake). I thought the taillights on the '70 - '72 GTOs were a great design, they really looked sharp.

mrblanche

I was speaking, of course, of the Charger.

mrblanche,

Sorry for the mistake. Have to agree the '67 Charger had a some stylish tail lights. Had a friend back in grade school whose parents owned a mint conditioned '67 440 Charger. It was a nice car pretty stylish for a 1960s car both inside and out.

mrblanche

I had a girlfriend in college whose brother had a 67 440 Charger. I saw him get T-boned in it in the main intersection in town.

Staff

Those old chargers were pretty cool. On the subject of two lane blacktop, I wish they'd re release the DVD - since used ones are selling for $100.00 plus. That was great movie. I also have Vanishing Point and Dirty Mary/Crazy Larry, some of the greatest driving scenes...

By the way, does anyone remember a movie called "Stingray", which came out in 1978. It was about a couple of drug dealers chasing these two dudes who just bought this vette where they had hid their cocaine and money. Great film. Funny, too. I reviewed it on Amazon.com if anyone's interested. I reviewed both "versions", VHS and DVD, although it has never come out on DVD.