Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technophobe gives in (sort of... just a little bit)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Technophobe gives in (sort of... just a little bit)

Ok, time to 'fess up!

I bought an iPod.... after it occurred to me that I was spending close to $100 annually on 2-3 $30 a piece CD walkmen that either broke or got lost or didn't work well, etc.

I feared the iPod - mainly because I thought about how mad I'd get losing/breaking a $200 piece of tehcnology vs. a throw-away CD Walkman... but I've decided to take the plung. I'm setting up the lithe little SOB now; gotta admit it's kind of a neat little thing....

But EFI?

Never!

Re: Technophobe gives in (sort of... just a little bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Ok, time to 'fess up!

I bought an iPod.... after it occurred to me that I was spending close to $100 annually on 2-3 $30 a piece CD walkmen that either broke or got lost or didn't work well, etc.

I feared the iPod - mainly because I thought about how mad I'd get losing/breaking a $200 piece of tehcnology vs. a throw-away CD Walkman... but I've decided to take the plung. I'm setting up the lithe little SOB now; gotta admit it's kind of a neat little thing....

But EFI?

Never!
    Good for you!

There's a consistency there which you've not noticed, the iPod and the 4bbl carburetor are in the same class: 'toys for boys.'

Ok, time to 'fess up!

But EFI?

Never!
    You'll like it. It truly is well designed.

One suggestion is to set the volume limit (buried in the system options menu). The iPod will play REALLY LOUDLY and WILL damage your hearing. So set the volume limit to 2/3 or 3/4 of full output to save your eardrums.

The story is that the iPod plays that loudly because Steve Jobs has some hearing loss from too many rock concerts as a kid and complained he couldn't hear his music on the prototypes. Don't know if it's true, but it makes for a good story.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

"I bought an iPod."

I didn't even know what an IPOD was until just before our trip to China (seriously). Tom said he wanted a CD player to use on the trip over there and then a co-worker of mine explained to me what an IPOD was. I heard of them, knew they had something to do with music, but that was all I knew. We did buy one, uploaded a lot of songs to it and we did use it on the plane once in a while. BTW, I also bought a more fancy one in Hong Kong, and never even turned it on or read the book for it.

"gotta admit it's kind of a neat little thing.... "

Now, after you learn how EFI works, you will junk all your carbs!

-Don-

"Now, after you learn how EFI works, you will junk all your carbs!"

Never!

I do know how EFI works, I just don't like how it works. Something gets "lost in translation." It may be more efficient, but it takes way much of the personality of internal combustion.

Now, an iPod is for listening to music - specifically, for drowning out the rap crap at the gym. I don't miss the bulky, skipping CD player (so far), and the iPod seems to play the music as well or better than the CD player. It's just an appliance, though, in any case. And for me, a car or motorcycle is more than just an appliance!

"You'll like it. It truly is well designed."

You're right - I do. And it is!

"One suggestion is to set the volume limit (buried in the system options menu). The iPod will play REALLY LOUDLY and WILL damage your hearing. So set the volume limit to 2/3 or 3/4 of full output to save your eardrums."

Found that out right away; anything more than two-thirds up the "bar" is too loud for me....

mrblanche

Eric, drop me an e-mail with your phone number. I should be passing by your place tomorrow sometime. I probably won't have time to stop, but if I do, I'll call (assuming I have a chance to pick up my e-mail by then).

I do know how EFI works, I just don't like how it works. Something gets "lost in translation." It may be more efficient, but it takes way much of the personality of internal combustion.
    !
    Sure! And there are those who still think that radial engines are the will of God. Turbines (early ones, anyway) had a single moving part and it rotated, no need to translate 'up and down' to 'round and round.' And but one handle (throttle) to make it go instead of three: throttle, pitch and mixture.

We all get hung up on engines when their only purpose is to make a machine 'go' and they should do that with but a minimum of care and feeding.

Ok, time to 'fess up!

I bought an iPod....

The decay begins........next it will be a mobile/cell phone ;D
    We'll corrupt you yet

I don't have an Ipod but I do have a Sony Walkman which I find suits me better..... I just uses it at the gym as they play crap MTV music there.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

I don't have an iPod or a cellphone.

I heartily embrace electronic fuel injection though.

Staff

I have a second or third generation I-Pod that is nothing more than a dead battery. I like the new ones better. I gave my girlfriend a Nano for Christmas, but I haven't got one my self. I can't get over the sour taste in my mouth over its incompatibility with my computer and its tendency to eat through a fresh charge in under 2 hours.

The other thing that I object to is the way Apple wipes out your ipod files when you synch with I-tunes on a new computer. Garbage.

I just wrote a long heartfelt reply about weightifting, women, dogs, ... but it got chewed.

What is this gym music? Are you mad?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I don't have an iPod or a cellphone.
    Sadly, I do have a cell phone. I got the habit when it was a necessity for me and can't break it.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I just wrote a long heartfelt reply about weightifting, women, dogs, ... but it got chewed.

Perfectly mad.......hey Mama we're all crazy now! ;D
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Perfectly mad.......hey Mama we're all crazy now!
    Eric ought put a bench in some outhouse with around 150Kg of weights [330lbs] and if he wants upper body strength, lie down on that bench and concentrate on breathing. Time out. Silence, except for the breeze, the very silent rustle of Sahsa the dog settling at the doorway. Sun shining in on a freezing day.
    Always nice to stretch like that. Too many hours pushing the chair .. when on the slight downhills 'Fang' a jet black Alsation X smooth-haired would actually have to gallop to keep up with my racing-chair.

Note: None of my dogs have ever needed a lead. Fang used to be same as Sasha became later [Fang died chasing a cat, under taxi on the night of my party for leaving my marital home...] [yeah right should have had a lead... a dog which was totally committed to me and I was in an altercation with a party-crasher who turned the stereo way up] Fang was never told that in two days we were moving. Mea culpa. He was 12yrs. The annual vet check perfect, "he's got high-mileage paws"..
    When he was younger, he would lean out of the Jag and bark too much. When he got basic commands right he was so, so keen, you couldn't help but feel good after a 15-mile push, I would make a cuppa and he would crash-out under the table. Exhausted.

Best time 10 kms was 34 minutes 'Airport-to-Square' and better was a 12km fun-run 39 minutes and I pushed 5kms home to this address. Sasha was new and wanted to go for a run... girls liked me then....

I think walking has merit. But cars are so endemic that anyone walking is seen as a loser or student. And while right now I could welcome a dog, I could not take on the daily pressure. And cats hate me.

And cats hate me.

I've figured out that one. I hope you don't take offense. It's the chair. Cats fear all forms of wheeled transport.

I bet a 6-week-old kitten would take to you though. And when it's grown it would protect your property, or rather HIS TERRITORY, from all those other neighborhood cats.

No offence taken.

maybe a kitten... it's too quiet here, and annoying JDM is fun only on alternate days.

And cats hate me.

I've figured out that one. I hope you don't take offense. It's the chair. Cats fear all forms of wheeled transport.

I bet a 6-week-old kitten would take to you though. And when it's grown it would protect your property, or rather HIS TERRITORY, from all those other neighborhood cats.
    Here's something I found out about by accident. One day I cam into the house after a day of riding with my leathers and boots on; our Siamese - who is normally very easygoing and is my amigo - got all fluffed up and hissed at me. He especially did not like the sound my track boots made on the wood floor!

Our new cat, on the other hand, can tell it's "me" - even with my helmet on.

No offence taken.

maybe a kitten... it's too quiet here, and annoying JDM is fun only on alternate days.
    Far be it from me to proselytise, but maybe a trip to The Humane Society sometime, just to see if any of the kittens take to you, could be an interesting science experiment.

No offence taken.

Far be it from me to proselytise, but maybe a trip to The Humane Society sometime, just to see if any of the kittens take to you, could be an interesting science experiment.
    Two of ours are "shelter cats" - Beezy's an accident, since we sort of walked into her at the vet's!