Thread: Do you remember that I predicted this?

mrblanche

Do you remember that I predicted this?

Re: Do you remember that I predicted this?

Wanna bet on an appeal? I think there will be since it's political but your choice or which way.

Cup of coffee but not as fine as Starbucks? There's no apostrophe in that which means that the 'bucks' part is intentional.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Wanna bet on an appeal? I think there will be since it's political but your choice or which way.

Cup of coffee but not as fine as Starbucks? There's no apostrophe in that which means that the 'bucks' part is intentional.
    They will appeal. Most of the ruling had to do with standing and the ability to sue public officials for monetary damages, although the judge did say that all the evidence is that the officials were properly doing their public jobs speaking to the reporters.

My guess is they may successfully shop a judge for the appeal, but they will eventually lose completely. After all, even the Senate report called Wilson's op-ed piece fiction.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

You'll not that the case was dismissed on jurisdictional grounds; no ruling was made on the merits or facts of the suit.

From the AP:

"U.S. District Judge John D. Bates dismissed the case on jurisdictional grounds and said he would not express an opinion on the constitutional arguments."

Also:

Bates was named to the federal bench by (you guessed it) George W. Bush. Better yet, Bates was a prosecutor on Ken Starr's Whitewater team, and in 2002, ruled in Dick Cheney's favor in keeping his energy-task force secret.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

" After all, even the Senate report called Wilson's op-ed piece fiction."

You mean the one crafted by Republican supporters of The Chimp?

These are the same clowns, incidentally, who saw a grave Constitutional crisis and threat to the republic when Slick Willie lied during the investigation into claims of sexual harassment/Mizz Lewinsky - but who see no "big deal" when it comes to Libby's serial perjury and obstruction of justice.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    You mean the one crafted by Republican supporters of The Chimp?
    No, I mean the bi-partisan 9/11 commission that was signed off on by both parties.

Wilson has been shown to be prone to...shall we say misrepresentation?

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

They will appeal. Most of the ruling had to do with standing and the ability to sue public officials for monetary damages, although the judge did say that all the evidence is that the officials were properly doing their public jobs speaking to the reporters.

My guess is they may successfully shop a judge for the appeal, but they will eventually lose completely. After all, even the Senate report called Wilson's op-ed piece fiction.
    Well, they might first ask for a hearing enbanc just to prolong the agony.

And I don't think that 'judge shopping' is very common in the federal courts.

mrblanche

Usually, the judge shopping in the federal system takes place when you decide what jurisdiction to file in, so that you know what appeals court it will go to. They were kind of limited in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche

Usually, the judge shopping in the federal system takes place when you decide what jurisdiction to file in, so that you know what appeals court it will go to. They were kind of limited in this one.
    OK, different kind of shopping on a couple of levels. One might be the general attitude of the particular court (or circuit) and another might be different controlling precedent decisions. The latter occurs sometimes in the District Courts, too. Once upon a time,the Eastern District of NY had a unique interpretation of a federal statute, the only court in the country to think what it did.

How come it wasn't challenged by the federal government? Easy, they were afraid that the Second Circuit would agree with the lower court and extend the scope of the decision.

Thankyou, Rumpole.

We ought to keep these subtle legal question to ourselves, eh wot?

Otherwise the common people might get the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Thankyou, Rumpole.

We ought to keep these subtle legal question to ourselves, eh wot?

Otherwise the common people might get the vote.
    Right, subtle illegal wins the day.