Thread: Level Field Institute

Staff

Level Field Institute

This group is trying to bring some sanity to the CAFE legislation in front of Congress right now. Let's hope that they are successful.

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/

Re: Level Field Institute

Why do they think that US makers are harder hit than anyone else by new CAFE regs that kick in in 17 years????? Do we not have time to adapt?

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Why do they think that US makers are harder hit than anyone else by new CAFE regs that kick in in 17 years????? Do we not have time to adapt?
    I think that US carmakers will have more difficulty with their American product line than others. I thought the regs kick in in 13 years. Still, the cars currently made here in the USA are trucks and SUVs. Fewer cars are made here than ever before. Higher gas mileage standards will kill the trucks and SUV's off. I don't particularly either, but I distrust the government more...

Second, barring some miracle breakthrough, pollution standards, safety standards, fuel economy standards and peoples desire for performance will at some point become mutually exclusive as the Fuel Economy requirements increase? Can you guess one that automakers will sacrifice to meet escalating demands from the chorus of panty waisted bed wetting environmentalist liberals, regulation loving bureaucrats and vermin politicians? PERFORMANCE.

My guess is that the first 3 mpg will be readily obtained by further improvements to the IC engine, including adding diesel engines to the mix. The remaining 5 mpg will be gotten by taking out performance, since weight reductions are all but impossible with today's safety requirements. Enjoy the ride whle you can. We will be living in a libero-facist state tomorrow.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    This group is trying to bring some sanity to the CAFE legislation in front of Congress right now. Let's hope that they are successful.

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/
    Well-intended... but rotsa ruck to them... our "leaders"are either corrupt, stupid, naive and lazy - or some combination of these things.

The insulting part is the title, "Level Field Institute" as if the playing field isn't already level. How are US auto maker at a disadvantage in today's market? I mean, apart from being the victims of their own bad decisions? They've made their bed, now they're sleeping in it.

The insulting part is the title, "Level Field Institute" as if the playing field isn't already level. How are US auto maker at a disadvantage in today's market? I mean, apart from being the victims of their own bad decisions? They've made their bed, now they're sleeping in it.
    Well (playing Devil's advocate here) the Japanese are very aggressively nationalistic and their government and industry work together for a common end; Yen/currency manipulation (to favor Japanese automakers) is one example.

We used to do the same - but no longer do. And for that we deserve the Dunce Cap....

mrblanche

It's almost impossible to import an American car into Japan for sale as a new car. Until fairly recently, every car had to prove that it met the emissions and safety standards. At times they required each car to be disassembled to actually see such things as door reinforcements.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    It's almost impossible to import an American car into Japan for sale as a new car. Until fairly recently, every car had to prove that it met the emissions and safety standards. At times they required each car to be disassembled to actually see such things as door reinforcements.
    Not to mention killer import duties that doubled the price of the car.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

How does any of that relate to CAFE?

mrblanche

It doesn't, directly. But the feeling is that since most Japanese manufacturers' "mix" is weighted to the small side, they can more easily meet the standard, especially if light trucks have to be included in the numbers.

How does any of that relate to CAFE?
    I recently learned that CAFE is figured differently for "domestic" vs. "import" (as determined by parts content/assembly, etc.) and that as a result, the Japanese get a leg-up relative to American automakers.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Well (playing Devil's advocate here) the Japanese are very aggressively nationalistic and their government and industry work together for a common end; Yen/currency manipulation (to favor Japanese automakers) is one example.

We used to do the same - but no longer do. And for that we deserve the Dunce Cap....
    Bingo. I have no problem with car imports per se, however, I draw the line when cars are made in countries that pay 1/10-1/3 of our wages (Mexico, Korea, Brazil, etc).

I am also against the CAFE bills as a matter of principle, although I would take a CAFE bill over a national speed limit in a second. Of course, you don't say that or you'll get both.