Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Near-miss in Las Vegas

Near-miss in Las Vegas

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...d.main/105607/

The author flew for America West and on take-off from LAS, had a near-miss with an Air Canada Airbus.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Near-miss in Las Vegas

Great, so now I have to add flying to my list of things I'm too spooked to do today. Along with driving over bridges.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Great, so now I have to add flying to my list of things I'm too spooked to do today. Along with driving over bridges.
    I've always been spooked about flying, driving over bridges and many other portentous activities -- but life goes on, and denial is good for the soul. I do not put myself in harm's way foolishly, or for fun or thrills. The rest of the time, I try to think of what I would do "if" and let it go. At the present I have a 72-hr backpack ready to go in a moment's notice. I will be updating this pack this month, which I do once a year. I also keep a black box (not to be confused with the orange box in airplanes :P) handy in my vehicles for emergencies, including nourishment and water. I keep my car serviced, a full tank of gas and my scooter charged.

In addition to the above, I have read and keep close at hand a copy of the book SAS Survival Guide. I am currently reading The Worst-case Scenario, Book of Survival Questions. Here is once such dilemma:
    YOU ARE LOST IN THE WILDERNESS WITHOUT ANY FOOD. BUT YOU DO HAVE A PACK OF MATCHES. YOUR CELL PHONE AND RADIO ARE NOT FUNCTIONING AND YOU NEED TO SIGNAL FOR HELP BEFORE YOUR SITUATION GETS EVEN WORSE. What do you do?

I truly believe being prepared relieves one of having to worry about whatever.

BTW In the pocket on the driver's door of my vehicle I carry a tool that is designed to break out a window if I become submerged in water. It is a multi-purpose tool that would also cut the seat belt if necessary. I would only hope that in a crisis situation I would remember that I have this tool.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Quote Originally Posted by gail

At the present I have a 72-hr backpack ready to go in a moment's notice. I will be updating this pack this month, which I do once a year. I also keep a black box handy in my vehicles for emergencies, including nourishment and water. I keep my car serviced, a full tank of gas and my scooter charged.
    What? No firearms?

In The Wayward Bus (Steinbeck) the bus driver had his own ideas about an emergency kit: he kept a Bible, a .45 revolver and a pint of whiskey. I can't think of a better core to build around.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

At the present I have a 72-hr backpack ready to go in a moment's notice. I will be updating this pack this month, which I do once a year. I also keep a black box handy in my vehicles for emergencies, including nourishment and water. I keep my car serviced, a full tank of gas and my scooter charged.
    What? No firearms?

In The Wayward Bus (Steinbeck) the bus driver had his own ideas about an emergency kit: he kept a Bible, a .45 revolver and a pint of whiskey. I can't think of a better core to build around.
    If she's as good a Mormon as she claims, there should be a full year supply of food in the house!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose

If she's as good a Mormon as she claims, there should be a full year supply of food in the house!
    A year's worth of 50 year old C rations would probably last forever.

...because no one in their right mind would attempt to eat them.

I've posted this site in the past with regards to weather prepardness.
    http://theepicenter.com/mre_military...dy_to_eat.html

The Sopakco are always good, and the new aPack meals are pretty good too (don't eat the osmotic raisins - yuck). Get them with the heaters.

The key to long storage life is keeping them cool -- put them somewhere like the back of a closet in an airconditioned part of the house, and they should last 6+ years.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

>>A year's worth of 50 year old C rations would probably last forever. <<

You'd have to be starving to eat those----

The cigarettes are probably stale, too.

>>The cigarettes are probably stale, too. <<

Not a problem anymore-- I quit back in 1978

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

>>The cigarettes are probably stale, too. <<

Not a problem anymore-- I quit back in 1978
    Good for you; it's a bad habit that's hard to shake once you're hooked. I am grateful I never got into it when I was a teenager - which seems to be when a lot of guys get hooked....

>>Good for you; it's a bad habit that's hard to shake once you're hooked. I am grateful I never got into it when I was a teenager - which seems to be when a lot of guys get hooked.... <<

When I was a kid, it was fashionable to smoke. When I quit, it wasn't. Two weeks after I quit, the withdrawal from the nicotine was bad-- so bad, that if I could have found a dirty ashtray, I'd have licked it! ;D
    Now, anyone who smokes around me better be downwind---

>>Good for you; it's a bad habit that's hard to shake once you're hooked. I am grateful I never got into it when I was a teenager - which seems to be when a lot of guys get hooked.... <<

When I was a kid, it was fashionable to smoke. When I quit, it wasn't. Two weeks after I quit, the withdrawal from the nicotine was bad-- so bad, that if I could have found a dirty ashtray, I'd have licked it! ;D
    Now, anyone who smokes around me better be downwind---

My RAV4 has no ashtray, it's an option which fits in one of the cup holders.

gail

What? No firearms?

That too.

http://www.meridianmagazine.com/emer...surviving.html

gail

What? No firearms?

Shhhhhhhh!

Shhhhhhhh!
    I'll not tell.

Personally, it's the fault of the gummint.

You will be pleased to know that there are confused lambs in the fields here. I think they eventually learn to eat grass, then we eat them...

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    You will be pleased to know that there are confused lambs in the fields here. I think they eventually learn to eat grass, then we eat them...
    I know they're confused - I saw the pics of that 7-legged one. The nuclear tests in the South Pacific have finally shown some results.

From personal experience I can attest that they were stale in 1954.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

From personal experience I can attest that they were stale in 1954.

They were worse in 1957, my first contact. The only thing good about C-rats were those neat little can openers which were just made to hang on a dog-tag chain.

Also in 1957 or 58 I first ran into 'combat whiskey' which must have been left over from WWII. The bottles were only about 80% full, with seals still intact. These were of the mostly cork stopper variety and that much had evaporated over time. (In the wine making business, I believe that such evaporative shrinkage is called, 'the Lord's share.'

Apologies for the poor 'blocking' of post.