Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari or Corvette?

Ferrari or Corvette?

As to ball-out performance coupes, and LS7 Corvette or a Ferrari F430?

The Ferrari is clearly better at everything.. ..

yet GM surely has the capacity to equal this?

Re: Ferrari or Corvette?

Money aside?
    I'd pick the Ferrari because of the better interior.

But the Corvette probably has better ergonomics. Why did Ferrari make the reverse gear a little T-shaped lever on the console?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Why did Ferrari make the reverse gear a little T-shaped lever on the console?

Chip H.
    Why not? It's not a part of driving.

I doubt the Corvette has better ergonomics, GM still hasn't learned how to place controls so that they fall readily to hand.

The "T" for reverse is only for the automatic Ferraris, right? Aren't they still available with a manual?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I doubt the Corvette has better ergonomics, GM still hasn't learned how to place controls so that they fall readily to hand.

The "T" for reverse is only for the automatic Ferraris, right? Aren't they still available with a manual?
    I'm not sure. I was stimulated to make the post after watching a comparative test between the Ferrari F430 and an Aston Martin by a normal mechanic who wouldn't afford either. It was mentioned that the Ferrari was set up a lot tighter and 'harder' in all responses than the Aston, and other stuff I've read and seen suggests the very latest generation of Ferrari has a lot of electronic management built into everything. Whether this is good or bad I cannot say.

But I tend to ignore trests of manual only cars cos I use hand-controls. I did build two BMC Minis with manual, but driving in town was a bit of a pain.

btw markets closed here 1% down today, no panic as some predicted as a response to the US bad loans debacle, but it might be that a lot of Western treasuries have simply printed a lot of money...

mrblanche

I would say that those countries who have so kindly financed our balance of trade deficit in order to improve their balance of trade deserve to enjoy the pain as well as the gain.

As to the Ferrari/Corvette debate, I would have the Ferrari for parties, etc., and the Corvette for actual driving.

By the way, in another interview, I hear that Robert Novak drives a black Corvette, apparently very fast. And he rated only Ronald Reagan with a passing grade, of all the Presidents he's covered. He only gave him a B-. He called Jimmy Carter the worst president of his public life, calling him, as I have, a habitual liar who hid behind his religion to cover those lies.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    As to ball-out performance coupes, and LS7 Corvette or a Ferrari F430?

The Ferrari is clearly better at everything.. ..

yet GM surely has the capacity to equal this?

Is it clearly better?

Is it quicker? Faster? Capable of higher lateral G cornering?

Well, that stands to reason as the Aston is really more of a Gran Tourer while the Ferrari's a more aggressive full-on sports car... but I would wager that an '08 Corvette would keep up with either - and the new Z06 would beat both.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I would say that those countries who have so kindly financed our balance of trade deficit in order to improve their balance of trade deserve to enjoy the pain as well as the gain.

As to the Ferrari/Corvette debate, I would have the Ferrari for parties, etc., and the Corvette for actual driving.

By the way, in another interview, I hear that Robert Novak drives a black Corvette, apparently very fast. And he rated only Ronald Reagan with a passing grade, of all the Presidents he's covered. He only gave him a B-. He called Jimmy Carter the worst president of his public life, calling him, as I have, a habitual liar who hid behind his religion to cover those lies.
    JImmy lost all credibility with me when he denied and backpedaled on his comments about Bush earlier this year.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    JImmy lost all credibility with me when he denied and backpedaled on his comments about Bush earlier this year.
    So you respected him as long as he agreed with you, whether or not he was dead wrong all along?

So you respected him as long as he agreed with you, whether or not he was dead wrong all along?
    No, you misread me. I respected him for taking a stand; when he denied his own words, I found it cowardly and contemptible.

One reason I loathe Bush, incidentally, is precisely because of his obvious lack of integrity; he is a dissembler and a liar as well as a bully.

mrblanche

So...Bush has all the characteristics many of us saw in Carter?

So...Bush has all the characteristics many of us saw in Carter?
    Some, perhaps.

But Jimmy's not the aggressive demagogue and would-be autocrat that Bush clearly is. I can't recall anything like the assaults on the Constitution and rule of law Bush has perpetrated - brazenly - during the Carter years.

mrblanche

But Jimmy's not the aggressive demagogue and would-be autocrat that Bush clearly is. I can't recall anything like the assaults on the Constitution and rule of law Bush has perpetrated - brazenly - during the Carter years.

They you were either too young to notice, or were unconscious during his reign.

They you were either too young to notice, or were unconscious during his reign.
    I was young (nine years old when he was elected). But can you cite some specifics? I don't remember anything comparable to Bush's "signing statements," assertion of the right to detain citizens without charge and without access to a lawyer, advocacy of extra-judicial warrantless wiretaps, assertion of "pre-emptive war" doctrine, the right to torture people, etc.

mrblanche

Well, just for starters, he was a quite the liar. And a wimp, despite his military experience. And he never met a revolutionary he didn't like, and he never saw a crooked election he didn't love and support.

Maybe you should just get Novak's book and read it? There are very good reasons he was never re-elected.

Well, that stands to reason as the Aston is really more of a Gran Tourer while the Ferrari's a more aggressive full-on sports car... but I would wager that an '08 Corvette would keep up with either - and the new Z06 would beat both.
    I look forward to a comparison! Do you have a disused airport and perhaps Laguna Seca booked?

Much of my very limited understanding of these vehicles comes from the TV program 'Top Gear' with Jeremy Clarkson. Objective tests include things like 'looks good' and 'is British'... points are taken off if a car is American... which is all a lot of fun.

I never could understand the US 'lateral acceleration' thing because at the margin this is often down to tires.

Well, just for starters, he was a quite the liar. And a wimp, despite his military experience. And he never met a revolutionary he didn't like, and he never saw a crooked election he didn't love and support.
    What a stupid assessment of a President. Have you no respect?
    Carter stood for a Christian-style world. I think he still believes in the brotherhood of man, the energy of youth, and a greater power.

Who the hell are you to talk of crooked elections when your own bias is towards rather marginal ones, and you still haven't apologised for Reagan. Nor the murder of thousands in South America, notably Allende, and anybody who opposed Pinochet. Without even mentioning the Contras...

Blood on your hands, my friend.

God Save The Queen.

Maybe you should just get Novak's book and read it? There are very good reasons he was never re-elected.
    These are pretty weak generalizations vs. the very specific assaults on civil liberties, the Constitution and rule of law perpetrated by Bush. See what Bob Barr, Bruce Fein, Paul Craig Roberts and other eminent conservatives have to say on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I look forward to a comparison! Do you have a disused airport and perhaps Laguna Seca booked?

Much of my very limited understanding of these vehicles comes from the TV program 'Top Gear' with Jeremy Clarkson. Objective tests include things like 'looks good' and 'is British'... points are taken off if a car is American... which is all a lot of fun.

I never could understand the US 'lateral acceleration' thing because at the margin this is often down to tires.
    I've had an opportunity to drive the current Z06 (not the '08 - yet). It is ferocious. Faster than my sport bike once it gets rolling. I can get the drop on it; stay ahead up through about 100 mph... but the 'Vette closes fast. By 130, I'm slowing down - and the Corvette is justgetting going. At 150 at the top of fourth, I've got one gear left and maybe another 10 mph or so. The Corvette could spot me 20 and still have a comfortable margin.

That be FAST!

Of course, my bike cost a fraction of what the Z06 costs....