Thread: How to reduce your bank balance in a hurry

mrblanche

How to reduce your bank balance in a hurry

Let your wife/girlfriend drive you Cobra. I don't know if this was is real or a replica, but it's still big money!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=79e_1187577635

MikeHalloran

Re: How to reduce your bank balance in a hurry

Wet pavement + unfamiliar driver + wide tires + lots of engine = wrinkles.

The damage suggests it _was_ a very nice fiberglass body. I think the originals were aluminum.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran
    I think the originals were aluminum.
    Correct.

One wonders why she was even allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle she obviously couldn't even begin to control.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    One wonders why she was even allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle she obviously couldn't even begin to control.
    That was my feeling. About the time she failed to back up, I think I would have taken her out of it.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Let your wife/girlfriend drive you Cobra. I don't know if this was is real or a replica, but it's still big money!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=79e_1187577635
    My Mac (or AOL) wouldn't let me play the video....

If that was a rea lCobra (as the title above the video says) that man is not a happy camper.... or very, very rich. If it's a kit, not so bad. $35-$60k or so, depending on where he got it/who built it. Bad - but not nearly as bad as killing an authentic Shelby Cobra, which would probably be around $250k or thereabouts, right?

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

If that was a rea lCobra (as the title above the video says) that man is not a happy camper.... or very, very rich. If it's a kit, not so bad. $35-$60k or so, depending on where he got it/who built it. Bad - but not nearly as bad as killing an authentic Shelby Cobra, which would probably be around $250k or thereabouts, right?
    I thought those Macs were great things?

I don't know of any drivable original Cobra that's not worth $100,000+. A good example would be $250K+. I think one just sold for 3 or 4 mil; it was one that was originally built for Bill Cosby, I think.

I thought those Macs were great things?

I don't know of any drivable original Cobra that's not worth $100,000+. A good example would be $250K+. I think one just sold for 3 or 4 mil; it was one that was originally built for Bill Cosby, I think.
    They are; I suspect it's AOL... and I should dump them as my ISP, I know....

mrblanche

Here it is on YouTube. It may be that AOL doesn't like LiveLeak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rMDKTYJ00

It does appear to be fibreglass at the front, at least.

Here it is on YouTube. It may be that AOL doesn't like LiveLeak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rMDKTYJ00

It does appear to be fibreglass at the front, at least.
    I got the "stills" - but the video still won't lay; thanks for trying, though!

mrblanche

Well, here's a synopsis. First the young lady has trouble getting the car in reverse, and almost runs over the people in front of her. Then she backs out, puts it in first, and appears to have troubles with the clutch. She pull out onto the street, nails it, and loses control, going off the left side of the road into parked cars.

Did you see the one with the teenager getting to drive his dad's new "Eleanor" edition Mustang?
    Mistakes 1st for reverse, and drives through the back of the garage.

Can't post a link -- I'm at work and they filter YouTube.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Well, here's a synopsis. First the young lady has trouble getting the car in reverse, and almost runs over the people in front of her. Then she backs out, puts it in first, and appears to have troubles with the clutch. She pull out onto the street, nails it, and loses control, going off the left side of the road into parked cars.
    Gawd!

By the way: Years ago, I had an opportunity to drive a Cobra (a real one). It was extremely uncomfortable; pedal placement was horrendous and the small seat and inadequate hip/elbow room made it virtually undriveable. I'm 6ft 3 and about 195; I think Carroll's taller... dunno how the heck he ever drove that thing; let alone drove it well!

I would NEVER want to own one (money aside). A beautiful, dangerous car - but fits me about as well as size 8 cleats.... a GT40 is much more my speed...!

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

D_E_Davis

By the way: Years ago, I had an opportunity to drive a Cobra (a real one). It was extremely uncomfortable; pedal placement was horrendous and the small seat and inadequate hip/elbow room made it virtually undriveable. I'm 6ft 3 and about 195; I think Carroll's taller... dunno how the heck he ever drove that thing; let alone drove it well!
    You may recall that Shelby made the original Cobra by re-engining the AC-Bristol with the Ford V8. The cockpit on the AC is quite different (IIRC) - I don't recall if Shelby ever competed any of the Ford Cobras.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    You may recall that Shelby made the original Cobra by re-engining the AC-Bristol with the Ford V8. The cockpit on the AC is quite different (IIRC) - I don't recall if Shelby ever competed any of the Ford Cobras.

And that AC Ace body and chassis design dated back to 1953. I guess that would make it only ten years old when they made the first 260 Cobras, but it was quite an ancient, archaic design by the time Shelby got his hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel

And that AC Ace body and chassis design dated back to 1953. I guess that would make it only ten years old when they made the first 260 Cobras, but it was quite an ancient, archaic design by the time Shelby got his hands on it.
    Yes.. and still extremely tight (at least for a person my size/body type). I could literally barely drive the car. And though I only spent a few minutes in it, the heat coming at you from the kickpanel/driveshaft tunnel area was also a strong incentive to get out of the thing right away.

I also had the good luck to be loaned a Cobra R back in the mid-1990s. This was the finalmodel to come with the 351 (and Tremec five speed). Loved that one. Fit me perfectly.

Yep!

I've also had some seat time in a few of the replicas, which tend to be much better from an ergonomic point of view.

Still, the Cobra has to be one of the flat-out most menacing cars ever built - then or now.