Thread: Useless Unimaginative Links

Useless Unimaginative Links

I am sick of the 'links' unless they relate to a subject already written. Would you send a card or letter to someone with ,
    "Hi Gran" with... "Get this! http//:www.fantastic greeting.com"

It sickens me.

So please all you who have connection with people who don't actually have a computer or phone at hand.

Bloody Americans. If they want 5 GB/sec., hey it must be better. And their kids live on coca-cola and Ritalin.

10,000 movies at the touch of a button.. no worries.. kids like to get out there and burn rubber and do things.

This grandpa-style swapping of links is nothing.
    But to my relief, some kids excellent in sport are also excellent in playing such as the Cello or even a few operatic baritone, or hip-hop, or ballads.

Thus you see why the US is despised and loved... it will never at the forefront of life, because it is damned by its diversity, it cannot be so, because the finest musicians wrote such notes as, say, Schumann's Piano Concerto 2 , for his love Clara. I don't expect anyone here to be able to be in silence for a long time and then hear, say, the 2nd movement.

I damn modernity.

Re: Useless Unimaginative Links

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

I damn modernity.
    Which modernity? Are we to remove ourselves to ox-trains, canals, outdoor plumbing, pestilence and pre-Pasteur ills?

Go ahead if you like, I always think that tomorrow's toys will be more fun than those of today.

I was looking a an NZ three pence coin today, struck before either of us got here, would that be good?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

I was looking a an NZ three pence coin today, struck before either of us got here, would that be good?
    If it was a 1935 coin, you are a wealthy man. Wealth beyond your wildest dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

If it was a 1935 coin, you are a wealthy man. Wealth beyond your wildest dreams.
    Rats, it's a 1937 but in excellent condition.

I also have an excellent Brit three pence of 1920 in the same condition; an Aussie six in VG~E; a 1943 NZ copper penny in VG+~E; and a farthing piece of 1942 (no country mentioned but with George VI on the face) with a bird on the back looking like it is in the act of decorating a statue.

These and others came from some long gone family member and I have no idea of why or who.

I also have an excellent Brit three pence of 1920 in the same condition; an Aussie six in VG~E; a 1943 NZ copper penny in VG+~E; and a farthing piece of 1942 (no country mentioned but with George VI on the face) with a bird on the back looking like it is in the act of decorating a statue.
    Cannot say. The thruoppence is probably worth fourpence if perfect..

The other 1943-ish things may be valuable.

I've got an Austrian 5-pfennig piece from, I think, 1932. It's in nice condition. I found it on the floor at work some years ago.

and a farthing piece of 1942 (no country mentioned but with George VI on the face) with a bird on the back looking like it is in the act of decorating a statue.
    If it doesn't mention a country it's British. The UK is, to the best of my knowledge, the only country whose coins don't proclaim their origin - neither do our stamps.

The bird is a wren - Britain's smallest bird, so it was seen as appropriate to depict it on Britain's smallest coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand

If it doesn't mention a country it's British. The UK is, to the best of my knowledge, the only country whose coins don't proclaim their origin - neither do our stamps.
    In a way it appears that a couple of them do admit to origin:

GEORGIVS VI D:G:BR etc., but that all may be no more than a string of titles to avoid confusion with all of the other Kings George then extant.

The Aussie coin has a kangaroo and what appears to be an emu as well as an inscription. 'Advance Australia' so small that a magnifying glass is needed.

NZ uses only plain English (no Latin) probably in reflection of the low state of classical literacy.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I've got an Austrian 5-pfennig piece from, I think, 1932. It's in nice condition. I found it on the floor at work some years ago.
    Among my dozen or two useless coins there are a couple of mid 30s German ones complete with swastika. I have some Confederate money somewhere, too, another failed state.

These and others came from some long gone family member and I have no idea of why or who.
    We used to squash coins like the 1937 on the railway tracks, but pennies looked better afterwards. The train drivers used to look angry. They never put fences up, and nodody died. You might wish to explain 'value' to me... you being a capitalist running-dog, and me being a reviled commie.

I have been offered a page in a collectors's magazine for free, and will soon be rich! But most of my energy has been towards research for a two-page feature article
    .. the grade through Millhouses just south of Sheffield unremitting from a cold start through an upgrade tunnel then 5 miles with no relief and hard to get a good fire, on the eastern side of the Pennines, a full mile of tunnel upgrade unchanged at 1-in-100 the coal trains over the harder gradient to Manchester.

If anyone has access to Bradford's Guide to English train timetables , in any 1950s year, I would welcome reference.

My story is something of a representative view of a Leeds-Bournemouth journey in the summer of 1957, seen from a third-person, but with bits of direct speech on the cabs of various engines in this unremarkable operation.

In the pic the two engines are at Chesterfield and have dropped down off the Eastern edge of the Pennines with 15-total 505 tons gross and the 'pilot' engine has done all the work and is refilling the boiler, the 5MT engine behind also has safety valves sniffing with light fire to work through Derby to Birmingham, notching-up to give the 2P a push, saying, "i'm OK"...
    The 2P ended up at the stop at Derby and should have been taken off, but in a long stop there a traffic manager came along the platform and told them that there were three trains behind and get out of here can you get to Bristol with him [pilot] off at Brum. ...

The train made Birmingham New Street and five carriages and the 2P removed the 5MT was expecting to be changed, but wasn't. Two carriages were added, a 'green', and

msg27982#msg27982 date=1187750343]

[/quote]

We used to squash coins like the 1937 on the railway tracks, but pennies looked better afterwards. The train drivers used to look angry. They never put fences up, and nodody died. You might wish to explain 'value' to me... you being a capitalist running-dog, and me being a reviled commie.

I have been offered a page in a collectors's magazine for free, and will soon be rich! But most of my energy has been towards research for a two-page feature article
    .. the grade through Millhouses just south of Sheffield unremitting from a cold start through an upgrade tunnel then 5 miles with no relief and hard to get a good fire, on the eastern side of the Pennines, a full mile of tunnel upgrade unchanged at 1-in-100 the coal trains over the harder gradient to Manchester.

If anyone has access to Bradshaw's Guide to English train timetables , in any 1950s year, I would welcome reference.

My story is something of a representative view of a Leeds-Bournemouth journey in the summer of 1957, seen from a third-person, but with bits of direct speech on the cabs of various engines in this unremarkable operation.

In the pic the two engines are at Chesterfield and have dropped down off the Eastern edge of the Pennines with 15-total 505 tons gross and the 'pilot' engine has done all the work and is refilling the boiler, the 5MT engine behind also has safety valves sniffing with light fire to work through Derby to Birmingham, notching-up to give the 2P a push, saying, "I'm OK"...
    The 2P ended up at the stop at Derby and should have been taken off, but in a long stop there a traffic manager came along the platform and told them that there were three trains behind and get out of here can you get to Bristol with him [pilot] off at Brum. ...

The train made Birmingham and five carriages and the 2P removed the 5MT was expecting to be changed, but wasn't. Two carriages were added, a 'green', and under the black-stained bricks the fireman looked at the driver, shrugged, and climbed onto the tender and raked maybe a ton of coal forward as the 5MT now with barely 1,000 gallons made easy exit... the fireman smiling. ...there were 'yellows' at Kings Norton, again at Barnt Green, 44666 was going to make the troughs but they might have been emptied by the preceding 'fast', with a 'Jubilee' and on this weekend only nine. It had left Birmingham with no great hurry five-minute path.

The driver filled the boiler a little at the Barnt Green junction, almost risking 'primimg' but sun was shining, and what is life without risk? .. down the 1-in-37 with engine sniffing, the Jubilee with the sem-fast left no yellows, sniffing and strong, three trains behind, the single 5MT would be able to run fast on the downgrades, and after the troughs could easily have made better than 70 even if she wasn't the best rider.

A little behind time at Cheltenham Spa, more signals before Gloucester, the driver curled his lips, as if to say, "yes, we could have done better but why?" and a "you are good but have a bit to learn"/

10 minutes late into Bristol, a 57XX shunter was in the rear, the 5MT was very low on coal... having been loaded that morning at 4am at Wakefield. It was pretty good coal, though.

Ground signal was on, and 44666 rolled forwards.. on the leading road to the shed there was no indication, until a shunter nodded to the reverse-curves and even as he did so a 'King' class rolled in with eleven GWR carriages, all chocolate and cream, sweet and actually four minutes ahead.

Stood on the backshunt for fifteen minutes, while the train was drawn away at the rear towards Bath, it was always going to be a night away. When 5MT 44666 rolled back, the engine driver and fireman learned that both knew about playing the cornet, and the fireman thiught he was OK on the clarinet.. and it was just 3pm...

Well, God Bless Microsft.

I blame the US

GEORGIVS VI D:G:BR etc., but that all may be no more than a string of titles to avoid confusion with all of the other Kings George then extant.
    In full: Georgius VI, dei gratia Britannis rex, fidelis defendator, Indii imperator. (Some word endings may be incorrect!) However, the same inscription would be found on contemporary coins from most Empire/Commonwealth countries, e.g. Canada, Australie, EnZed, India etc., so while identifies George VI as the British king, it doesn't specifically identify the coin as British.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand

In full: Georgius VI, dei gratia Britannis rex, fidelis defendator, Indii imperator. (Some word endings may be incorrect!) However, the same inscription would be found on contemporary coins from most Empire/Commonwealth countries, e.g. Canada, Australie, EnZed, India etc., so while identifies George VI as the British king, it doesn't specifically identify the coin as British.
    The Empire/Commonwealth countries then are identified on the obverse while home coin says nothing of place or origin. That's either very subtle or betrays the mindset of empire. Or, simply a useful scheme thought up by some civil servant.

identified on the obverse while home coin says nothing of place or origin. That's either very subtle or betrays the mindset of empire. Or, simply a useful scheme thought up by some civil servant.
    WE are of course a large family.

I never did feel at home with this Stars and Stripes malarky...

God Save The Queen