Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did we go wrong?

Where did we go wrong?

DonTom

Re: Where did we go wrong?

Perhaps she didn't understand the question.

Or perhaps she would have given an answer that made some sense if she wasn't under the pressure of doing it with so many people watching and needing to answer before there was any time to think.

I too, can sound like a dummy when on the spot. That's why I prefer to communicate this way (and not live) , where I have time to think about what I am saying.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -Albert Einstein

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity -- but I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

-Don Quoteman

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    I too, can sound like a dummy when on the spot. That's why I prefer to communicate this way (and not live) , where I have time to think about what I am saying.[/color]
    Anybody can. That's why we have so many clips of politicians saying and doing stupid things. Train a camera on anyone long enough, and they'll prove they're an idiot.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I too, can sound like a dummy when on the spot. That's why I prefer to communicate this way (and not live) , where I have time to think about what I am saying.[/color]
    Anybody can. That's why we have so many clips of politicians saying and doing stupid things. Train a camera on anyone long enough, and they'll prove they're an idiot.
    Ah, but the real idiots are the ones who won't admit when they're wrong or made a mistake ...

DonTom

"Ah, but the real idiots are the ones who won't admit when they're wrong or made a mistake ..."

Yep, because:

"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."
    --Orlando A. Battista

-Don Quoteman

mrblanche

And Psychology Today magazine said, some years ago, that 2% of everything we do, after we think we have corrected all the mistakes, are still mistakes.

And Psychology Today magazine said, some years ago, that 2% of everything we do, after we think we have corrected all the mistakes, are still mistakes.
    I think they are mistaken.

This is the mental flea that's constantly biting all writers; we're never happy with what we've produced. Many rarely re-read a story or book for fear of encountering some galling mistake or malaprop!

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    This is the mental flea that's constantly biting all writers; we're never happy with what we've produced. Many rarely re-read a story or book for fear of encountering some galling mistake or malaprop!
    I believe that is true. I do some writing myself and I am constantly finding typos and incorrect words, however, politicians are known for some of the stupidest mishaps that would be deemed inexcusable for a normal person --- just look at Bush and other morons who hold public office. I'm so damned sick of them I can't even speak.

That girl is as dumb as a fencepost, as are many others who get by on looks alone.

And what use a spell-checker for technical articles? Quite apart from grammar...

..subtle things like the difference between "poor grammar" and "bad grammar" . Sometimes I just write-and-post, but it's very much like, "full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes".

I find I can type about as fast as I can think, which shows how my brain has suffered! Yet I understand that there are now so many blogs in the world that many of us we all just talk to ourselves.

Seems there are about a dozen regular readers here, which is quite nice, being just able to include a variety of people to keep each other honest.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

And what use a spell-checker for technical articles? Quite apart from grammar...

..subtle things like the difference between "poor grammar" and "bad grammar" . Sometimes I just write-and-post, but it's very much like, "full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes".

I find I can type about as fast as I can think, which shows how my brain has suffered! Yet I understand that there are now so many blogs in the world that many of us we all just talk to ourselves.

Seems there are about a dozen regular readers here, which is quite nice, being just able to include a variety of people to keep each other honest.
    Ah, but online postings are exempt from the rules of standard English!

gail

This is exactly how I feel, and I thought it was just because I am illiterate. I have started so many stories but for one reason or another have decided it would never get published and so I stop. Occasionally I will get the idea that I'm a Danielle Steele - after she has had many marriages - 8, I think, and as many children; she writes from a 3X6 closet. I have all of that - but where she has written many books, for some reason along the line I never followed through. One person told me that I was horrible in grammar and I knew this to be true, another told me that 'folksy' writing would never sell, and I believed them, still another told me that I would have to be famous to sell anything and well I reckon that must be fact. Every once in a while I'll get my nerve back and start writing again. Maybe someday I will finish a book. Here are some of the Titles of my impending books.The Curious Mouse (a children's book), The Calico Duck (a children's book), Tilting Windmills, Honor thy Mother and Father, Little Girl Lost, The Face on the Wall, How I Changed the nation, I am an American, Elegance, Last of Families, Life of a Navy Brat, The Last Taboo, The Dunagans and Related Families, and last but not least, One, Two, Buckle my Shoe. All of these stories have been started and in various degrees of finish, but none completed.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    I believe that is true. I do some writing myself and I am constantly finding typos and incorrect words, however, politicians are known for some of the stupidest mishaps that would be deemed inexcusable for a normal person --- just look at Bush and other morons who hold public office. I'm so damned sick of them I can't even speak.

That girl is as dumb as a fencepost, as are many others who get by on looks alone.
    You could tell that she was reaching - and looked like a deer in the headlights. But I remember when i was on the Today Show - it was pathetic. I still cringe when I think about it. I have nothing but compassion for the girl.

"That girl is as dumb as a fencepost, as are many others who get by on looks alone.

You could tell that she was reaching - and looked like a deer in the headlights. But I remember when i was on the Today Show - it was pathetic. I still cringe when I think about it. I have nothing but compassion for the girl."

Lucky for her she's cute....

mrblanche

Well, as one person I heard on the subject said, it's a ridiculous question to ask why other people are ignorant. However, this young lady rose to the task and showed that she not only knew why they were ignorant, but that she shared in the affliction.

gail

Well, as one person I heard on the subject said, it's a ridiculous question to ask why other people are ignorant. However, this young lady rose to the task and showed that she not only knew why they were ignorant, but that she shared in the affliction.
    LOL Being a cute blonde myself, I don't have a clue at what she was trying to say. I might have answered, "I don't have a clue." or maybe, "Really? Do you really believe that most Americans couldn't find our country on a map?" Was it a valid question? I can understand why some Americans can't find some of these tiny, remote countries on a map - but the big ones are fairly easy.

mrblanche

In fact, in actual tests, 50% of Americans can't find the U.S. on a globe. Don't even talk about Cote d'Ivoire or Lesotho.

..and she did it with such style!

I too, can sound like a dummy when on the spot.
    True for everyone. And even when it sounds good, a transcript will sound dumb because there are gestures and facial expressions which are not recorded.

DonTom

"In fact, in actual tests, 50% of Americans can't find the U.S. on a globe."

Sounds like some type of BS to me. Are they asking five year olds or playing a trick and expect them to show all the US possessions?

-Don-