Thread: S & W Model 500

S & W Model 500

Got a chance to shoot one of these over the weekend in Charlotte. This is currently the world's most powerful handgun.

The recoil & muzzle blast is ummm, impressive. But the muzzle rise was pretty well controlled (considering the cartridge) by the integral muzzle brake. The bullets in the factory loads we used were .500 inches in diameter and 400 grains, with a muzzle energy of 2877 ft-lbs (12.7 mm and 25.9 grams, 3901 newton-meters, respectively).

Fun? Not really. But if you're hunting wild boar, this is the handgun you want.

Chip H.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26W_Model_500

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: S & W Model 500

Half an inch is an awfully big entrance wound.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Half an inch is an awfully big entrance wound.
    Just imagine the exit wound!

Double action, too! Impressive -

Is that built on the standard N frame?

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    With full-jacketed rounds, about the same as from a .50 cal machinegun. With frangible rounds, as big as a hubcap.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

They created a new frame for it -- the X frame. The length of the rounds did not permit them to use the N frame, which is normally used for .44 Magnum and 10mm.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    With full-jacketed rounds, about the same as from a .50 cal machinegun. With frangible rounds, as big as a hubcap.
    I always use federal Hydrashock hollow points in the .45 on the theory that if I ever do need to point it at another person, I want that SOB to go down fast and hard and never get up again....

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm

They created a new frame for it -- the X frame. The length of the rounds did not permit them to use the N frame, which is normally used for .44 Magnum and 10mm.

Chip H.
    Other than simply being "big n' bad" is there any real-world use for this gun? It seems to be like the Desert Eagle; impressive to show off, but very hard to fire accurately, impossible to carry (unless you're Hulk Hogan-sized) and thus, virtually useless for the purpose that most handguns exist to serve - personal self-defense, etc.

Other than simply being "big n' bad" is there any real-world use for this gun? It seems to be like the Desert Eagle; impressive to show off, but very hard to fire accurately, impossible to carry (unless you're Hulk Hogan-sized) and thus, virtually useless for the purpose that most handguns exist to serve - personal self-defense, etc.
    Hunting and self-defense against bears (they sell a 2-1/2" barrel version for Alaskan bush pilots) seem to be it's purpose. As well as bragging rights, of course. I would imagine it's geared towards boar hunting.

The Desert Eagle, while an excellent Hollywood movie gun, is not all that reliable -- I wouldn't trust my life to one. They have a tendency towards feeding problems where the round gets hung up trying to feed into the chamber. The clearing operation takes a *long* time compared to a 1911.

However, both the Desert Eagle and the 500 S&W are very accurate with the right sights and in the hands of a skilled shooter. The Desert Eagle because of it's fixed barrel with polygonal rifling (unusual in a semi-auto), and the 500 S&W simply because the barrel is 10.5" long.

Chip H.

Hunting and self-defense against bears (they sell a 2-1/2" barrel version for Alaskan bush pilots) seem to be it's purpose. As well as bragging rights, of course. I would imagine it's geared towards boar hunting.

The Desert Eagle, while an excellent Hollywood movie gun, is not all that reliable -- I wouldn't trust my life to one. They have a tendency towards feeding problems where the round gets hung up trying to feed into the chamber. The clearing operation takes a *long* time compared to a 1911.

However, both the Desert Eagle and the 500 S&W are very accurate with the right sights and in the hands of a skilled shooter. The Desert Eagle because of it's fixed barrel with polygonal rifling (unusual in a semi-auto), and the 500 S&W simply because the barrel is 10.5" long.

Chip H.
    I'm no ballistics expert, but wouldn't a .45 auto drop a bear pretty effectively too?

Mine holds 10-plus-1 rounds (11 total with one chambered) and I can empty the clip pretty damn fast!

A .45 is borderline for a black bear like we've got around here.
    A grizzly or polar bear would just get annoyed.

Chip H.

A .45 is borderline for a black bear like we've got around here.
    A grizzly or polar bear would just get annoyed.

Chip H.
    Then I hope I never encounter one in the woods!

D_E_Davis

I hope so too! A grizzly, a polar bear, or an Alaskan brown bear is huge, and can run faster that you. Even a fatal shot doesn't drop one right away, so you need sone distance. I don't think even this S&W 500 would be the weapon of choice. The Alaskan hunter guides wanted their clients to have a .300 H&H, a 358 H&H, or a Weatherby 300 the last time I checked.

I don't think even this S&W 500 would be the weapon of choice.
    Nope. It's the weapon of last-resort in those cases.

Of course, you could also pick the person in your party that you like the least, and just make sure you can run faster than them...

Chip H.

D_E_Davis

Of course, you could also pick the person in your party that you like the least, and just make sure you can run faster than them...
    And in the same direction - if you all scatter you give Ms. Bear choices...(g).

Had an Alaska brownie pop out of the brush and start following me one time, about 100 yds back - now that was an eerie experience.

mrblanche

Chip H.
    Don't bother shooting the bear, just shoot that person in the leg!

I hope so too! A grizzly, a polar bear, or an Alaskan brown bear is huge, and can run faster that you. Even a fatal shot doesn't drop one right away, so you need sone distance. I don't think even this S&W 500 would be the weapon of choice. The Alaskan hunter guides wanted their clients to have a .300 H&H, a 358 H&H, or a Weatherby 300 the last time I checked.
    Crikey again!

I am glad all we have around here are the much smaller, less aggressive brown bears... though the locals say there are cougars in the deep woods.... big kitty!