Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheesiest TV & movie cars

mrblanche

Re: Cheesiest TV & movie cars

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    How about that T-bucket used in the Adams Family or was it the Munsters?
    Did you read the message and look at the photos? The Munster's coach was there.

Mr Blanche,

Great photos! Thanks for posting them. That was a brain-teaser, you had me pulling out my hair for a few minutes until I remembered the show. The red car at the bottom of your photos is from the TV show "My Mother the Car".

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    How about that T-bucket used in the Adams Family or was it the Munsters?
    Did you read the message and look at the photos? The Munster's coach was there.
    oops, I guess i missed it. It was pretty cheesy! Nice post, by the way.

mrblanche

I just looked at the post and saw that the first car was missing. I have now fixed it, so go back and take a look!

The top picture is of the modified 1966 GTO which was used in the TV show the 'Monkees'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I forgot about the K-car, don't see too many on the road these days.
    And you did well in forgetting about them. That's one car that I'd "uninvent" if I could turn back time. :

Rick,

Have you seen this spoof Aries K-car ad? Its pretty funny:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86643693547774

Yeah, that is pretty funny. I wonder if the guy sold his car?

Chrysler used the K-car platform for a lot of its subsequent vehicles -- the minivan and the Omni series among them. While the original K car was a horrid little box, the minivan met an untapped need and the Omnis -- particularly the 3 door fastbacks -- weren't bad for their time, at least design-wise. The 2.2 liter engine was terrible to change oil filters on, but handled OK and didn't drive like it had a 4 banger in it. OTOH reliability was poor -- it's the only car I've ever owned that my wife REFUSED to drive -- after it left her stranded in a crummy neighborhood in the days before cell phones. : > >

Rick,

That's hard to say, $200 is a lot for a K-car. ;D Perhaps he sold it for a six-pack of beer.

Those Omni's were pretty peppy cars for their day. I had a friend in high school who had a two-tone manual tranny 4-door Omni and he could light up those front tires fairly easily. They like the other K-cars were pretty roomy inside which was a plus. Eric and I discussed the Omni GLH-S in a previous post a week or two ago, those cars were pretty fast. Knew a guy in high school who owned one of those. You remember this car and the other Shelby 2.2 liter cars? Remember the Shelby Charger?

Oh yeah -- in fact, there's a guy over on TAC who's looking for one -- has been for over a year, and hasn't found one yet. There was a lot that could be done with those -- up to the limits of the front wheel drive design. Funny things seem to happen when you boost power levels high enough in a FWD design -- the car doesn't wanna stay on the road!

Rick,

You're not kidding that torque steer is not much fun. I remember driving powerful FWD drive cars years ago, and mashing the accelerator pedal to the floor and holding onto the steering wheel for dear life as the front wheels battled me for control of the car. Of course I won everytime, but barely ;D

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I forgot about the K-car, don't see too many on the road these days.
    And you did well in forgetting about them. That's one car that I'd "uninvent" if I could turn back time. :
    Hi Rick,

Welcome to the boards, first of all - good to have you here!

On K-Cars: The one good thing about 'em is that we have a way to tell just how bad things can get....

PS: Pete says you have a '75 T/A?

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Yeah, that is pretty funny. I wonder if the guy sold his car?

Chrysler used the K-car platform for a lot of its subsequent vehicles -- the minivan and the Omni series among them. While the original K car was a horrid little box, the minivan met an untapped need and the Omnis -- particularly the 3 door fastbacks -- weren't bad for their time, at least design-wise. The 2.2 liter engine was terrible to change oil filters on, but handled OK and didn't drive like it had a 4 banger in it. OTOH reliability was poor -- it's the only car I've ever owned that my wife REFUSED to drive -- after it left her stranded in a crummy neighborhood in the days before cell phones. : > >
    Circa early-mid '80s, I knew this guy named Skender who was the archetypical "Dungeons & Dragons" computer nerd; he drove a Plymouth Champ - which we christened the "Chump" for obvious reasons!

Eric,

I almost fell out of the chair, when I read your post since I was laughing so hard. I could visualize this guy looking like the "comic book collector" from the Simpsons, driving the "Chump".

In high school I had a friend who drove a 1986 Chevrolet Spectrum - he called it the "Rectum" - one night on I66 he got it up to 85 mph while I was in the car. That poor cars little 4 cylinder was whining and shaking over 80. He wanted to prove it could do over 80. I was actually surprised since the Rectum was a rebadged Isuzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Hi Rick,

Welcome to the boards, first of all - good to have you here!

On K-Cars: The one good thing about 'em is that we have a way to tell just how bad things can get....

PS: Pete says you have a '75 T/A?

-Eric
    Hi, Eric! Good to be here -- thanks for accepting my registration!

Yep -- I have a 75 TA with 57,XXX on the clock. I ordered it from Pontiac in February 1975 and accepted delivery in March 1975, and have owned it continuously since. I even have all 32 registrations slips to prove it!

I think I read where you have/had a TA also? Still finding my way around here... :-\

Eric,

I almost fell out of the chair, when I read your post since I was laughing so hard. I could visualize this guy looking like the "comic book collector" from the Simpsons, driving the "Chump".

In high school I had a friend who drove a 1986 Chevrolet Spectrum - he called it the "Rectum" - one night on I66 he got it up to 85 mph while I was in the car. That poor cars little 4 cylinder was whining and shaking over 80. He wanted to prove it could do over 80. I was actually surprised since the Rectum was a rebadged Isuzu.
    You shoulda seen ol' Skender behind the wheel!

"...I'm looking for some speed, man!"

"Hi, Eric! Good to be here -- thanks for accepting my registration!

Yep -- I have a 75 TA with 57,XXX on the clock. I ordered it from Pontiac in February 1975 and accepted delivery in March 1975, and have owned it continuously since. I even have all 32 registrations slips to prove it!

I think I read where you have/had a TA also? Still finding my way around here... :-\"

Now I'm jealous! Both Pete and I WISH we'd been around/old enough to buy a second-gen. car when they were new... but it was not to be. You're really lucky to have been able to do that - and even more so that you've still got your car. So many guys "let it get away" - and regret it deeply.

Yes, I have a '76 TA. I bought the car in 1991 and am the second owner. It had 48,000 on the clock when I bought it and was in extremely nice, all-original condition. I had to use it as a daily driver for a year or so, but quickly found a beater for that - and retired the TA to "nice day only" driving. It still wears much of its original paint (and still looks very nice for its age), has a near-perfect original interior and trunk.

I plan to have the exterior redone (money permitting) int he next year or so... I'm saving the $$ to have it done "right" - which as you know, isn't cheap...!

I will post some more pics of my car in this Board over the weekend; please do the same with yours!