Thread: Worstcar you ever owned?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Worstcar you ever owned?

I got to thinking about this recently... .

My nominee is (was) the Mitsubishi Precis my then-girlfriend (now wife) once owned; she inherited this wretched POS from her uncle. It was slow. It was ugly. It was a deathtrap - and it constantly broke down. Hardly even suitable for recycling... it was that bad. What a rancid, foul little beast it was. Echh!

On the "up" side, I once owned a '69 VW fastback that I bought for $600 circa 1987. It was a damn good little car that served me well - including daily commutes in heavy traffic. I regret how I treated that car. And its eventual fate was not kind ... wish I could have a do-over on that one!

mrblanche

Re: Worstcar you ever owned?

A Volkswagen was the worst car I ever owned. Just an old bug. Sunroof leaked when I got it. Floor in the back rusted out. And it ate brake shoes and voltage requlators. Had to mess with it all the time. Considered myself lucky to trade it for what I paid for it, less than a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    A Volkswagen was the worst car I ever owned. Just an old bug. Sunroof leaked when I got it. Floor in the back rusted out. And it ate brake shoes and voltage requlators. Had to mess with it all the time. Considered myself lucky to trade it for what I paid for it, less than a year later.
    I had a '73 with the manual sunroof - and mine leaked, too!

Rust was always a problem... and I also recall having to fiddle with it constantly. But on the positive side, it was dirt cheap and the" fiddling," though sometimes annoying, was usually easy to do - and also cheap, as far as parts, etc.

And you could keep one running for a long time with regular nursing....

D_E_Davis

And my nominee is the 79 Ford LTD, with the 302 engine. It was so underpowered. what with all the CA smog equipment, that I fried the tranny by 45K miles. Second place is the 74 Gran Torino, a huge car with surprisingly little passenger or trunk room. When I replaced it at 91K miles the front end was so worn that it was only by chance that both front wheels pointed in the same direction.

OTOH, my 72 Pinto with the 2L engine was a real joy. When I had to replace it due to need for a larger car it still had the original OEM tires at 54K miles.

Worst for reliability would have to be the '74 Fiat X 1/9. It was worn out by 110,000 miles. Shoddy interior materials, rust, a carburetor that required constant cleaning and adjustment, rust, sealed ball joints that lasted 20,000 miles, rust, dodgy and inconveniently located hydraulics, rust, and rust.

But it sure was fun to drive. Lovely little engine, thrilling handling skills. It was an amazing little car.

Worst car I ever had, to drive, was a '66 Fairlane 500 that got handed down to me. My dad bought it new in 1966, I think the sticker price was $3001 on the dot. He got it with A/C, Cruise-O-Matic 3-speed automatic, and a delete-option 200 cid inline six. The standard engine was a 240 I think. I have no idea why he did that, I think maybe the fact that my brother was approaching his 16th birthday might have factored into that decision. It was NOT economical, it could barely manage 13 MPG in town, thanks to the constant need for WOT.

No radio, no power steering, no power brakes. The steering was 8 1/2 turns lock-to-lock, meaning you had to plan ahead for corners.

I can only recall three mechanical faults though. It blew a heater hose once. The torque converter failed. And it needed a U-joint. The only other recurring problem was that it would get about 10,000 miles from a set of shocks, and about similar mileage from the bias-ply tires.

The big bench seats were good for teen sex escapades.

But that car was a pig and I hated it.

I have two nominees:

1999 Mercedes ML-320 -- something broke every 8.5 weeks on average. They were pretty evenly distributed around the car -- mostly body rattles, but also electrical, fit & finish, and transmission.

2003 MINI Cooper S -- just one problem (airbag light on), but it took 5 trips to the dealer (99 miles away) and spent 28 days in the shop before the light would stay off long enough. It was comical at times -- I once only made it to the interstate on-ramp before it came back on.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

The most unreliable car Tom & I ever owned was a 1968 Ford Cougar, 302 CID, AT.

I cannot remember all the problems, but the AT failed a couple of times and then a valve got sucked into the engine. I think that was a common problem with the 302. Very cheap valve clips. A two cent part failure would cause several thouasnd bucks worth of damage.

Our RV has had a lot of problems too, but that's expected for a vehicle that's almost 30 years old. I think we purchased the Cougar used in about 1978, just before it started to fall apart.

-Don-

Staff

I have two nominees as well:

1974 AMC Gremlin - need I say more?

1993 Subaru Impreza - While it was reliable, it was an underpowered gas guzzler. I routinely got under 20 mpg in the thing and it couldn't climb a hill without losing 5-10 mph. One time, I got suck in a snowy parking lot... in a FWD car! I was glad to get rid of the car a year later.

DonTom

"I got suck in a snowy parking lot... in a FWD car! "

Our RV got stuck in the sand in a full hookup RV park! And in our own slot! That was in Avi's RV park in NV. A 4-WD, with many people's help pulled us out and it took about two hours.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    And my nominee is the 79 Ford LTD, with the 302 engine. It was so underpowered. what with all the CA smog equipment, that I fried the tranny by 45K miles. Second place is the 74 Gran Torino, a huge car with surprisingly little passenger or trunk room. When I replaced it at 91K miles the front end was so worn that it was only by chance that both front wheels pointed in the same direction.

OTOH, my 72 Pinto with the 2L engine was a real joy. When I had to replace it due to need for a larger car it still had the original OEM tires at 54K miles.

I had a friend in college who owned a Pinto wagon - and it was a great little car; we made many beer runs in the thing!

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat

1993 Subaru Impreza - While it was reliable, it was an underpowered gas guzzler. I routinely got under 20 mpg in the thing and it couldn't climb a hill without losing 5-10 mph. One time, I got suck in a snowy parking lot... in a FWD car! I was glad to get rid of the car a year later.
    I have noticed that Soobies tend to be gas pigs - given what you'd expect from small cars with relatively small engines, etc. Not sure why this is, but there you have it...

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I have noticed that Soobies tend to be gas pigs - given what you'd expect from small cars with relatively small engines, etc. Not sure why this is, but there you have it...
    Subarus have long been known as oil burners.

Of course, no Subaru is as bad as a Mazda rotary, right?

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat

I forgot to mention that this car was an automatic and had so much slop designed into the torque converter that the car speed could be 500 rpms behind the engine speed at a given speed if you pressed on the gas pedal. I suspect that the lack of lockup had a lot to do with this. On the other hand, if the car didn't have that extra slop built in, acceleration would have been measured in years instead of months.