Thread: VOLKSWAGEN REPORTS AUGUST 2007 SALES

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

VOLKSWAGEN REPORTS AUGUST 2007 SALES

04 September 2007

VOLKSWAGEN REPORTS AUGUST 2007 SALES
    Rabbit and Eos post continued gains

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. ?Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced August 2007 sales of 21,655 vehicles, representing a decrease of 7.5 percent over August 2006 unit sales of 23,420. On a year-to-date basis, Volkswagen brand vehicle sales are down 3.6 percent through August.

The decline represents the rapid sell down of existing 2007 model year inventory, in anticipation of incoming 2008 offerings.

Volkswagens entry level Rabbit sold 3,074 units, the second best month ever for the reinterpreted hatchback model. The Coupe-Sunroof-Convertible (CSC) Eos recorded 1,161 deliveries, gaining momentum in the retractable hardtop segment.

Re: VOLKSWAGEN REPORTS AUGUST 2007 SALES

Do you think they're going to stay in the US market?

Because I think their attempt to move up-market is a failure, and not only because of the Phaeton.
    VW's were always (at least in the US) about good value for money.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

Dropping the TDI's could not have helped them, either, now when the market for such cars would be hot.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Do you think they're going to stay in the US market?

Because I think their attempt to move up-market is a failure, and not only because of the Phaeton.
    VW's were always (at least in the US) about good value for money.

Chip H.
    I personally believe VW has lost focus...attempting to become another BMW (or even Audi) when what made VW successful was relatively low cost high-value cars such as the old GTI of the '80s and (later) the Jettas and Passats of the '90s.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I personally believe VW has lost focus...attempting to become another BMW (or even Audi) when what made VW successful was relatively low cost high-value cars such as the old GTI of the '80s and (later) the Jettas and Passats of the '90s.
    Just goes to show that even Bavarian elves are not immune to the corporate think affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Just goes to show that even Barian elves are not immune to the corporate think affliction.
    Indeed!

The irony is VW had a nice lock on the mass-market "German car" market; by pricing its cars at or in BMW/Audi territory, it lost that edge. People are less willing to pay $30-something k for a "people's car" when for about the same money they can buy an established prestige brand - such as an Audi or BMW... also, VW used to be a non-pretentious brand for the guy who wanted a car that drove like a European car, offered German design/features, etc. - but didn't have the assface baggage that (for good or ill) BMW ownership carries with it...

I dunno, the Rabbit and Jetta can be had for well under $20K as long as you don't go crazy with the option list. $22K for a GTI isn't such a bad deal either.

The irony is VW had a nice lock on the mass-market "German car" market; by pricing its cars at or in BMW/Audi territory, it lost that edge.
    I think a lot of the problem lies with VW's having too many brands. In Europe, Skoda is now the economy brand, with SEAT pitched slightly above it with 'sporting' pretensions, although even there the differentiation is blurred by high-performance versions of some Skodas. To distance VW from Skoda & SEAT it has been pushed up-market, to the point where it is competing with Audi. The buyer wanting value for money buys a Skoda or a Seat - indeed, there is now a certain inverted snobbery attached to Skoda - while the buyer who places image over value buys an Audi, leaving VW in a sort of 'dull but worthy' black hole. Basically, they are all the same car - the buyer chooses how ugly he wants his car, & how much value he places on a badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    The irony is VW had a nice lock on the mass-market "German car" market; by pricing its cars at or in BMW/Audi territory, it lost that edge.
    I think a lot of the problem lies with VW's having too many brands. In Europe, Skoda is now the economy brand, with SEAT pitched slightly above it with 'sporting' pretensions, although even there the differentiation is blurred by high-performance versions of some Skodas. To distance VW from Skoda & SEAT it has been pushed up-market, to the point where it is competing with Audi. The buyer wanting value for money buys a Skoda or a Seat - indeed, there is now a certain inverted snobbery attached to Skoda - while the buyer who places image over value buys an Audi, leaving VW in a sort of 'dull but worthy' black hole. Basically, they are all the same car - the buyer chooses how ugly he wants his car, & how much value he places on a badge.
    Great analysis - and well put, too!

mrblanche

I lost most of my respect for the management at VW when they bought Rolls Royce and failed to get the ability to use the name.