Thread: Something to offend every enthusiast

mrblanche

Something to offend every enthusiast

Possibly imitating our own Mr. Peters, Time Magazine has a new article/list of the 51 worst automobiles of all time. And they ARE thorough; they start with 1899.

However, reading the second entry (the1909 Ford Model T) will give you some idea of the bent of the authors, and how they're going to feel about any innovation or, worse yet, any enthusiasm in a motor car.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658545,00.html

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Something to offend every enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Possibly imitating our own Mr. Peters, Time Magazine has a new article/list of the 51 worst automobiles of all time. And they ARE thorough; they start with 1899.

However, reading the second entry (the1909 Ford Model T) will give you some idea of the bent of the authors, and how they're going to feel about any innovation or, worse yet, any enthusiasm in a motor car.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658545,00.html
    Hey now! I like the Model T....

mrblanche

[quote=Eric ]
    Hey now! I like the Model T....
    They make it pretty clear that they think cars in general are evil.

Did you notice the Corvair is on the list, too? And the Jaguar XKE V12? And the Prowler?

At least part of the ple saying remains true -

Reader's Digest is for people who can't read,
    Time is for people can't think, and
    Life is for those who can't do either.

D_E_Davis

Exactly! I feel these don't deserve inclusion: 1909 Ford Model T, 1958 Lotus Elite, 1958 MGA Twin Cam, 1961 Corvair, 1971 Ford Pinto. Although each has flaws, each was a decent car for its time. Several of these I've owned without complaint.

Inclusion of the 1911 Overland OctoAuto is "reaching". Reeves made only one, then rebuilt it as the "SextoAuto" which also didn't sell. The one and only is in the museum in Dearborn MI.

The Dymaxion wasn't *that* bad. Most three-wheelers have stability problems.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

Exactly! I feel these don't deserve inclusion: 1909 Ford Model T, 1958 Lotus Elite, 1958 MGA Twin Cam, 1961 Corvair, 1971 Ford Pinto. Although each has flaws, each was a decent car for its time. Several of these I've owned without complaint.

Inclusion of the 1911 Overland OctoAuto is "reaching". Reeves made only one, then rebuilt it as the "SextoAuto" which also didn't sell. The one and only is in the museum in Dearborn MI.

The rater appears to be unaware of the various Kaiser cars: Kaiser, Frazier, Henry J, and the Sears edition of the Henry J.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

The rater appears to be unaware of the various Kaiser cars: Kaiser, Frazier, Henry J, and the Sears edition of the Henry J.

Were they that bad?

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Possibly the rate was born and grew up in NYC, and therefore didn't even have a car until after his 45th birthday.

XKE V12 was an appalling car. I have driven in one, maintained one, and was a passenger on a fast drive in one. In almost every respect it was appalling. Even near new as that owned by a friend, the steering was super-light [American market 1969], the engine was set de-tuned and was better-off as a marine engine [design compromises] and was put together by communist unions for the ruling classses [as yourself]

The 'retro' Chryslers are sad sad.

The Model T is was not in itself bad but represented the turning of a car into a mass-produced commodity. This meant that it embodied the most effective [sometimes] tech at the expense of art...

"XKE V12 was an appalling car. I have driven in one, maintained one, and was a passenger on a fast drive in one. In almost every respect it was appalling. Even near new as that owned by a friend, the steering was super-light [American market 1969], the engine was set de-tuned and was better-off as a marine engine [design compromises] and was put together by communist unions for the ruling classses [as yourself]"

Yes, but it was pretty!

Maybe, but isn't a 2.7 Tiburon?

I'll be away awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    Maybe, but isn't a 2.7 Tiburon?

I'll be away awhile.
    That's a Hyundai!

So?