Thread: 12 great gearhead gift ideas - Christmas 2007

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

12 great gearhead gift ideas - Christmas 2007

Buying gifts for a gearhead is easy - if you're a gearhead yourself. But what if you have no clue what to buy for your four-wheel-minded (or two-wheel-minded) significant other?

That's where a cheat sheet comes in handy!

Here's a list of 12 possible gift ideas ranging in price from under $20 to around $150 or so that ought to at least get you pointed in the right direction:

* Corvette/Mustang/'57 Chevy wall shelves - These fit more easily in your den than a real '69 Sting Ray Corvette, '57 Bel Air or '64 Mustang (and cost a lot less, too). Plus, they're perfect for displaying your models - or just use them as actual bookshelves. Each shelf is designed to replicate the front end of a classic in full 3D glory, with authentic grilles, headlights and a flat glass shelf on the "hood" for your items to sit on. Mounts easily to any wall. Appx. 20"W x 8"H x61/2 D. $69.95 from www.whatonearthcatalog.com, item number AX3312 (Corvette), AW3512 (Bel Air) and AW3502 (Mustang).

* The Headgator - Don't let cold weather keep you off your cycle. Expandable, breathable, high-insulation Promax IV material covers you from the bottom of your neckline to the top of your head, protecting you from both wind and cold. Lower section provides uninterrupted coverage of your chin and mouth area, too. Fits comfortably under any helmet and folds down to handkerchief size when not being used. $17.50 from www.maxit-inc.com/products/headgator.html; available in Black, Navy, Grey, Royal, White, Purple, Forest and Brown.

* AlcoHAWK PRO digital breath alcohol detector - If you've only had a glass or two of wine or beer with dinner, you may not think you're impaired, but with lawful BAC levels getting lower each year, better to be sure before you get behind the wheel. This pocket sized device could save you a trip to jail - and thousands in lawyer's fees. Gives an accurate digital readout of your blood-alochol content in seconds. Meets NHTSA standards. $139 from www.thesharperimage.com, item number Q1502.

* Cycle Pocket - No mere cover, this puppy completely encloses your entire bike in a sealed, controlled-environment cocoon that keeps out dust, pests and protects against condesation; ideal for long-term indoor storage of your motorcycle. Just roll the bike on and close up the three-sided zipper. Dessicant packs are included to absorb moisture. Accommodates any size bike and may also be used for ATVs, tractors and furniture, etc. $99 from www.skymall.com, item number 81032.

* Night vision glasses - If you are bothered by the glare of oncoming headlights at night, try these. The amber lenses filter out glare while preserving the natural balance of colors; ideal for older drivers who are experiencing difficulty driving at night. Side lenses enhance peripheral vision, too. $19.95 from www.gadgetuniverse.com, item number TH533.

* Magnetic finger - Just the ticket fro retrieving a wayward bolt or other small part you can't quite reach with a tool. Form fitting stretchy glove slips on your index finger and turns it into a professional tool. A powerful magnet sown into the tip allows you to hold and retrieve any small metal object with precise control. $9.95 from www.bustedknucklegarage.com, item number BKG-129.

* Drag racing alarm clock - Wake up to the sound of 800 horsepower staging for the green! Alarm features fully functional "Christmas tree," temperature and humidity gauges - and the tire-shredding sound of a drag racer lining up for a quarter-mile run. Measures 9/12 inches tall and uses three AA batteroes. $29.99 from www.calcarcover.com, item number DRC15.

* Motorcycle (and ATV) jack - Makes changing a tire or oiling a chain easier and much safer. 1,500 pound rated capacity with five position automatic side safety brakes to prevent unwanted movement while working; includes all-purpose adapter, tie-down straps and chrome-plated hardware. Raises bike up to 16 inches off the ground, providing easy access to the undercarriage. $159 from www.garage-toys.com, item number MAL-2c.

* Auto Art brake disc memo pad - Magnetic case is shaped like a cross-drilled/vented high-performance disc brake rotor, with a red powder-coated "caliper" clamping on the paper pad - just like the real thing. Case can be attached to any metal surface, such as a refrigerator door. $9.99 from www.grandprixlegends.com, item number AA40341.

* Route 66 Premuim gas pump CD cabinet - It looks just like an old-timey 100 octane leaded premium gas pump but is actually a '38-inch high CD storage cabinet. Perfect for a car-themed rec room. Available in several colors/styles, with authentic Texaco and Route 66 logos; lighted desktop/lamp version also available. $95-$139 from www.earlstation.com; see items ES-202MS933, ES-205MS3029, ES-205MS3236 and ES-201KP4099.

* 4-in-1 Extreme Power Pack - This fully portable multi-function cordless power pack keeps you rolling, no matter the situation. Includes 400 amp jump starter with #4 welding gauge cables, 275 psi air compressor with 1.5-foot air hose, detachable 150 watt power inverter (runs TVs, laptops, iPods, etc.) and AC/DC charging adapters. Weighs just 14 pounds. $99.95 from the Discovery Channel Store at http://shopping.discovery.com; see item number 797027.

* Helmet Fresh Odor Remover - You can wash your gym shocks, but what about your helmet? After a season's sweat, it can get pretty stinky. That's where Helmet Fresh comes in. It kills odor-causing bacteria and also helps prevent mildew from forming in the padding. Leaves you helmet smelling fresh and clean - and makes the prospect of sticking your head in there a lot more appealing. Comes in a 4 oz. plastic spray bottle for portability. $5.95 per bottle from http://www.thebellstore.com/Accessor/hlmtfrsh.html.

END

Re: 12 great gearhead gift ideas - Christmas 2008

Eric,

A lot of great gift items there for the auto enthusiast.

I know this is a little off the topic but I was at the mall yesterday, and saw the new robotic singing Elvis head (based on the Elvis dress seen on the 1968 Comeback Special) at the Sharper Image, it was awesome, a must have for any Elvis fan:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/te...=1&oref=slogin

Someone give me a Neuspeed reprogramming for my car's computer, please. Supposedly it adds 50 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Eric,

A lot of great gift items there for the auto enthusiast.

I know this is a little off the topic but I was at the mall yesterday, and saw the new robotic singing Elvis head (based on the Elvis dress seen on the 1968 Comeback Special) at the Sharper Image, it was awesome, a must have for any Elvis fan:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/te...=1&oref=slogin
    Thanks!
    And I saw "The King," too... ever see "Westworld" with Yul Brynner?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Someone give me a Neuspeed reprogramming for my car's computer, please. Supposedly it adds 50 HP.
    I'd be very suspicious of any "reprogrammer" that claims it will deliver a 50 hp increase without other modificiations - esp. in a car like your VW. A 50 hp increase would be, what, a 30-35 percent improvement over the factory rating?

No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I'd be very suspicious of any "reprogrammer" that claims it will deliver a 50 hp increase without other modificiations - esp. in a car like your VW. A 50 hp increase would be, what, a 30-35 percent improvement over the factory rating?
    How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15BHP-MOD-ALFA...QQcmdZViewItem

Of course it works.....read the testimonials!

3.85 for a resistor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15BHP-MOD-ALFA...QQcmdZViewItem

Of course it works.....read the testimonials!

3.85 for a resistor?
    Of course!

... people seem ever-willing to believe the improbable. If only "wicking up" horsepower were this easy....

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel

No way!
    25%

Seems like a lot, but Neuspeed have been a reputable vendor for several decades.

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_list.asp?app=95|GV&type=11&ltype=ns_euro

Eric,

Yes I have seen Westworld, that's a great movie - you know that's exactly what the new Elvis looks like. Good observation!

And the above article from this topic has just posted on the main website:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...7&Itemid=10783

Eric,

Yes I have seen Westworld, that's a great movie - you know that's exactly what the new Elvis looks like. Good observation!

And the above article from this topic has just posted on the main website:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...7&Itemid=10783
    Very cool - thanks!

On "Westworld" - I think it is one of the most under-rated and under-appreciated genre classics of its time....

Eric,

I agree it is indeed a classic one overlooked by many critics. It was a story with a true to life message, be carefull of replacing people with machines/technology there may be dire consequences.

Eric,

I agree it is indeed a classic one overlooked by many critics. It was a story with a true to life message, be carefull of replacing people with machines/technology there may be dire consequences.
    Tell that to Don!

Are we skipping Christmas 2007?

misterdecibel,

Thanks for correcting my SNAFU - I can't believe I overlooked this. I'll make the change now. Thanks again.