Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What classic car do you really dislike?

What classic car do you really dislike?

What classic car do you really dislike? For me I think it would have to be the BMW Isetta - it was a sales success and proved a micro car could be successful, but boy was it ugly.

D_E_Davis

Re: What classic car do you really dislike?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    What classic car do you really dislike? For me I think it would have to be the BMW Isetta - it was a sales success and proved a micro car could be successful, but boy was it ugly.
    And who put the "motorized easter egg" into the realm of classic? I know there are going to differences of opinion on this but really.

As far as my dislike, the Edsel tops the list.

Not a classic (and I hope it never makes it that long), but I really dislike the Subaru Tribeca.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Staff

The Nash Metropolitan comes to my mind. Some may term this heresy, but I also dislike the VW bug. the people's shitbox.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

This is heresy, I know - but I have never been big on Corvettes built after 1972...

But I don't think there any genuine classic cars I would say I really dislike; some just aren't my favorites!

Now, there are many new/late-model cars I absolutely hate - including every single minivan on the road....

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    The Nash Metropolitan comes to my mind. Some may term this heresy, but I also dislike the VW bug. the people's shitbox.
    I owned a '73 - and it was a shitbox for sure... but it had its charms, too.

You kinda had to be there, so to speak...

D_E_Davis,

I agree, but some experts classify the Isetta as a classic car. I cringe everytime I hear it mentioned as a classic car. I agree the Edsel was one of the worst automobiles ever made.

Chip,

Have to agree with you the Tribeca is one very ugly car.

Swamprat,

I too am not a fan of the Nash Metropolitan, if it had never been made the automotive industry would not have missed it. I am also not fond of the bug when I was growing up in the 1970s and 1980s I came to dislike the bug's distinctive exhaust sound which sounded to me like someone running their fingernails across a chalkboard.

Eric,

Yes that's heresy I like the "Corvette Summer" & Disco Era Corvettes and the modern 1984 to present Corvettes.

D_E_Davis

D_E_Davis,

I agree, but some experts classify the Isetta as a classic car. I cringe everytime I hear it mentioned as a classic car. I agree the Edsel was one of the worst automobiles ever made.
    In which case we must examine the credentials of such "experts".

(1) the Isetta wasn't a classic.

(2) Tne Edsel wasn't a bad car; it just was the wrong car for 1958. Sales were never good: people didn't want a cheap Mercury or a fancy Ford at a premium price. Ramblers were selling like hotcakes that year; so were Volkswagens and even Renault Dauphines. TYhe Edsel also wasn't a clazssic.

To me, "classic" cars were the Packards, Peerlesses, Pierce Arrows, Auburns, Cords, Duesenbergs, Rolls-Royces, Bentleys, Mercedes-Benzes, Lincolns, Cadillacs, Bugattis, and others built in the days a car builder furnished a chassis to a coachbuilder, who them built a custom body for the purchaser, in the late 1920s and the 1930s.

Postwar, instead of the large, stately cars from prewar, no American cars qualify. Instead, we have Grand Touring cars built in Europe and given bodies by various carosseries.

I think the last American classic was the 1940 Cadillac V-16.

D_E_Davis & pgranzeau,

I hear you guys, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For instance when I was at Fall Carlisle Car Show a few years back a guy had two mint conditioned BMW Isettas on display, and there was a lot of people gathered around them. Some really liked the Isetta. Are there some Isettas in car museums, the answer is yes. The good thing is there are classic cars out there to fit everyone's likes. I personally like the behemoth 1950s, 1960s, and up to mid 1970s cars, some don't. So its all subjective in the end.

Pete

D_E_Davis

I hear you guys, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    What you are saying is that there are no standards for awarding the title of "classic" - anyone is entitled to fit that robe onto any motorized piece of iron that they choose. Doing so just demeans the appellation so that it no longer has any meaning.

I feel that there should be standards for such a title. Perhaps we here can discuss what those standards should be.

That's why we also have "antique" and "vintage" in the lexicon!

It's fair to call any car over 30 years old an antique, I think - no matter how low it was when new or how insignificant (or ugly, etc.) it was, in the eyes of afficionados. "Vintage" is another suitable term.

But I agree with you and Pete that "classic" should only be applied to an older car that is historically or otherwise significant.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    But I agree with you and Pete that "classic" should only be applied to an older car that is historically or otherwise significant.
    Well, in that case, the Edsel would certainly qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Certainly fodder for long arguments!

I'd say the Edsel was significant - as an example of terrible design and marketing. But a "classic"? I dunno about that... but maybe!

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    How so? Except for being a prime example of a car model that couldn't find its own way out of the showroom there is almost nothing to differentiate it from its Ford and Mercury cousins.

The Tucker would fall into the same category. Historically significant, but sold less than 100 cars.
    Are they Classic, Vintage, Historic, or just an Antique?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

D_E_Davis,

Experts will usually refer to any car 25 to 30 years of age or older as classic or antique, this is why classic/antique car plates are open in most states to all cars 25 to 30 years of age or older. As I said before looks are subjective even the ugliest and crappiest cars out there have a following. Even the Yugo has its follow and people who collect them (why I don't know) but as I mentioned before one man's junk is another man's treasure and vise-versa.

D_E_Davis/mrblanche,

Actually in my opinion the Edsel was really ugly the front grille design was just plain aweful. If the car had been attractive it probably would have sold well, and the Edsel would now be one of those success automotive success stories. Ford did read its marketing studies correctly about their being a market niche for the Edsel, however its styling was just so bad its fate was doomedl. If Ford engineers had used styling cues for its popular thunderbird instead, I think the car would have been a hit. However this is only my opinion.

chiph,

The problem with the Tucker was that it was not produced by a major automaker with lots of money. Had the Tucker been produced by GM, it would have been a smash success, since GM could have produced it in large numbers and marketed the car. The Tucker was a beautiful car with many innovations, and it was pretty quick for its day. The Avanti was the same way, Studebaker by the time they released the Avanti, was very short on capital and on its way out of business. The Avanti was looked upon as a failed car that did not save Studebaker. However because of a 3rd party buying out the rights to make and produce the Avanti from Studebaker, the Avanti has remained a low volume good seller for the last 40 + years. It's like a baseball player who is very good but ends up spending his career playing on a last place team, this player never is recognized for his full potential.

D_E_Davis

Experts will usually refer to any car 25 to 30 years of age or older as classic or antique, this is why classic/antique car plates are open in most states to all cars 25 to 30 years of age or older. As I said before looks are subjective even the ugliest and crappiest cars out there have a following. Even the Yugo has its follow and people who collect them (why I don't know) but as I mentioned before one man's junk is another man's treasure and vise-versa.
    "Experts" doing that show a poor grasp of English - there's a wide difference between "classic" and "antique". At least Arizona issues "historic" plates to the older cars, which is a worthwhile differentiation. As it is, with no standards the term "classic" has lost any real meaning.

Actually in my opinion the Edsel was really ugly the front grille design was just plain aweful. If the car had been attractive it probably would have sold well, and the Edsel would now be one of those success automotive success stories. Ford did read its marketing studies correctly about their being a market niche for the Edsel, however its styling was just so bad its fate was doomedl. If Ford engineers had used styling cues for its popular thunderbird instead, I think the car would have been a hit. However this is only my opinion.
    IMHO, a very good take on the Edsel.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    How so? Except for being a prime example of a car model that couldn't find its own way out of the showroom there is almost nothing to differentiate it from its Ford and Mercury cousins.

Well, just for starters, it was a classic example of flawed market research. It was the first car largely based on that research.

In addition, it was the brainchild of Lee Iacoca, I think.

"Experts" doing that show a poor grasp of English - there's a wide difference between "classic" and "antique". At least Arizona issues "historic" plates to the older cars, which is a worthwhile differentiation. As it is, with no standards the term "classic" has lost any real meaning.
    The main problem is that the law is determining what constitutes a classic and/or antique car(s), and most of these law makers are lawyers who don't know a thing about automobiles which is probably the root of the problem in my opinion.

IMHO, a very good take on the Edsel.
    Thanks.