Thread: $23k '75 455 HO Trans-Am

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

$23k '75 455 HO Trans-Am

Just caught this on eBay... car looks to be a nice "driver" - but the price seems way high to me, given 130k miles and that it appears the car has simply been re-sprayed and detailed. The undercarriage looks like it has 130k on it, etc.

But here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...spagenameZWDVW

Re: $23k '75 455 HO Trans-Am

Eric,

Wow that is nice. It's a rare treat to find a '75 L75 455 HO Trans Am, but one in this very good condition is almost a once in a lifetime occurence. I like the color combination and that this car was ordered as a go car with very few convience options. I always liked the look of the (no console) 4-speed hurst shifter sticking out of the carpet.

Only problem I see with the car is that the engine appears to be painted in the '77 1/2 - '82 GM corporate engine blue and not the correct 1975 - early 1977 - metallic blue.

Yep, engine's been resprayed and not too neatly at that. One of the TVSs has paint on it, which would have been simple to mask off.

I've seen this car before and to be honest the red dash/carpet with the blue exterior troubles me. When you ordered a white interior with a blue car you got black dash/carpet, unless somebody pulled some chicanery with the order form. Also, I dunno about the chrome valve covers on the 75/76 455 engine, but absolute recall of that detail escapes me now. I'd like to see a PHS on it before I plunked any money down.

Rick,

Very good observations there. I think for this car it would be a must to get the PHS documentation before buying.

How was your vacation? Milly told me you went on a weeks vacation. I hope you had a fun and restful vacation.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Yep, engine's been resprayed and not too neatly at that. One of the TVSs has paint on it, which would have been simple to mask off.

I've seen this car before and to be honest the red dash/carpet with the blue exterior troubles me. When you ordered a white interior with a blue car you got black dash/carpet, unless somebody pulled some chicanery with the order form. Also, I dunno about the chrome valve covers on the 75/76 455 engine, but absolute recall of that detail escapes me now. I'd like to see a PHS on it before I plunked any money down.
    Agreed.

That car looks to be a decent driver - but hardly a "restored" (properly restored) car. I'd say it's over-priced by at least $5-8k. If you can see serious flaws in pictures, I bet the flaws in person are a lot more serious!

On the chrome covers: I am almost 100 percent sure the '75-'76 cars did not come with chrome valve covers, regardless of engine. The chrome covers re-appeared as part of the W72 T/A 6.6 package - which of course first appeared in '77....

We had a great time, Pete. We spend 4 days on the beach in SC, then visited some old rice plantations in the area and wound up visiting the US Naval & Maritime Museum at Patriot's Point in Charleston on the last day. Lotta of history there -- too much to see in just one day, but we made the most of it!

Eric -- my recollection matches yours. The chromed valve covers didn't make a reappearance until 1977.

Yup you guys are correct the '75 - '76 T/As (both 400 and 455 V8s did not have chrome valve covers). On the second generation T/As the 1970 - 1972 T/As all had chrome valve covers. For 1973 the chrome valve covers were no longer available even the SD455 had painted valve covers. The chrome valve covers did not return until 1977. The 1977-1979 W72 400 Trans Am did have chrome valve covers. After 1979 they disappeared for good. Only the following engines for the 2nd generation T/A had chrome valve covers:

1) 1970 Ram Air III 400
    2) 1970 Ram Air IV 400
    3) 1971 - 1972 455 HO
    4) 1977 - 1979 W72 400 (6.6 T/A)

Rick,

Glad you had a great vacation. The Charleston area is very nice, lot of stuff to see and good beaches too. What beach did you go to?

Pete, we stayed on Kiawah Island -- on the beach...well, just behind the beach on the shore side of the protected dunes. They are a habitat for the loggerhead turtle, and you can't walk on them -- but the condo had a full view of the shoreline!

This is a pic of some of what we watched last week:

Rick,

I have been to Kiawah Island a few times in the past, and I love the place. The place is amazing. Every time I go there, I get a peaceful vacation. The place is full of wildlife - with the deer, alligators, sea turtles, etc. I remember my first trip there, I was walking the beach at night, and a big sea turtle ran right in front of me - I nearly jumped a mile since I thought it was an alligator. But when it ran into the ocean I realized it was a loggerhead sea turtle (this was before I realized these big sea turtles were on the island). My parents went there on vacation a month ago, and they had a great time.

It's a great place to ride bikes on the beach.