Thread: Here's how an engine should sound!

mrblanche

Here's how an engine should sound!

This is one of our members doing his initial startup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITbECTLJh4

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Here's how an engine should sound!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    This is one of our members doing his initial startup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cITbECTLJh4
    Nice!

I have to admit that Chevy and small block Ford V-8s really sound sweet.

I wouldn't want to be in something with that much power and those tires.

Sounds nice, music to my ears. Nothing like open headers. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Try a sport bike sometime... the power to weight ratio can be even more aggressive!

mrblanche

A T bucket is zippy, but nowhere near the power/weight ratio of a motorcycle. Almost any motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Try a sport bike sometime... the power to weight ratio can be even more aggressive!
    If a motorcycle had bias ply whitewalls I wouldn't ride on it either. And the weight of a motorcycle is much less.

mrblanche

On a pound per square inch of contact patch, the T has more tire on the ground than the motorcycle.

I don't think that motorcycles and cars are directly comparable in that department, since they don't go around corners the same way. Cars can't lean. Especially a bucket T that has solid axles front and rear.

Do you seriously think that bucket T would stand a chance against, say, a 600CC road bike on a race track? (i.e. a road racing track, not an oval or a dragstrip...)

I don't think that motorcycles and cars are directly comparable in that department, since they don't go around corners the same way. Cars can't lean. Especially a bucket T that has solid axles front and rear.

Do you seriously think that bucket T would stand a chance against, say, a 600CC road bike on a race track? (i.e. a road racing track, not an oval or a dragstrip...)
    As far as handling, etc. of course not - you're right. But I thought you were concerned about "hooking up" all that power?

Bikes also launch differently than cars do. With a modern liter-class sport bike, there is no way to launch with full throttle, or by "dumping trhe clutch." It is actually extremely difficult for all but expert riders to match the factory quoted 0-60 and 1/4 mile times - which are often in the range of 2.8 seconds and 9-10 seconds (respectively).

If a motorcycle had bias ply whitewalls I wouldn't ride on it either. And the weight of a motorcycle is much less.
    While a modern sport bike like my Kawasaki has a comparatively large tire (W speed rated; basically race compound rubber), the power to weight ratio when compared with most cars is much more extreme. In my case, it's appx. 141 horsepower carying a 450 pound machine; that's a ratio few cars - even ultra-exotics - come close to. And there are much more powerful liter-class bikes out there than mine. Both Kaw and Suzuki have models with 180-200 horsepower in a 500 pound package.... ;D

mrblanche

Assuming they had truly comparable power/weight ratios, I think the T bucket would do fine...up to the first curve. As you say, no car can turn with an equivalent bike.

But my T, while zippy enough to scare some people, is not that much out of line with most modern cars. It weighs 2100 pounds and has 209 hp.

Bikes also launch differently than cars do. With a modern liter-class sport bike, there is no way to launch with full throttle, or by "dumping trhe clutch." It is actually extremely difficult for all but expert riders to match the factory quoted 0-60 and 1/4 mile times - which are often in the range of 2.8 seconds and 9-10 seconds (respectively).
    Well said! 0-60mph in particular is very tricky. And few people could get it consistently very quick on a lot of production bikes with road tires. When I was riding with bikes around 60 bhp or a little less at the rear wheel and weighing 400-500lbs I doubt we were under 5 sec. Or the mid-13s. Yet on a cold day the Norton factory got 11.8 sec.. with no mention tire brand or weight before marketing their 'new' 950cc twin.

Incidentally, I think that engine start sounded nice but I would have run it up to temp at a slightly faster engine speed. Although that's nit-picking.
    I like the way the guy checked for front oil seal etc.

I have no idea how a car like that feels on poor troads with such weight on the fronts!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Assuming they had truly comparable power/weight ratios, I think the T bucket would do fine...up to the first curve. As you say, no car can turn with an equivalent bike.
    What about the Ariel Atom?

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

Even the Atom.