Thread: Some TA parts I have...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Some TA parts I have...

I have some spare second generation (1970-81) Trans-Am parts someone out there might need, including the following:

* '76 TA shaker hood scoop (this came from a '76 LE car; has the gold script "455" callouts. A few scrapes to the paint but no major damage or cracks. This is the early-style shaker that's larger/rounder than the later '77-up style. It is missing the metal block off plate but the fiberglass mounting pad/holes are all intact. Has weather strip and lock ring.

* '77 TA shaker (this came from a brown car; has original brown paint on it and "TA 6.6" decals. It is in excellent condition; the air "opening" is intact; never cut away or drilled out - as many were back in the day. Just needs to be resprayed to be perfect.

* Factory three-piece rear spoiler (this came from the same '77 TA as the above scoop). Also have a spare center section.

* Pair of complete rear tail-light assemblies (housings, lenses - everything) from '77 TA; I believe these are the same from '76-78. Good condition, "all there" with no damage I can see.

Anyone who might be interested in the above stuff, just give me a holler!

Re: Some TA parts I have...

Eric,

If you really want to get rid of these parts. I can post a message on a couple of the Trans Am boards, pointing to your post here. You'll get rid of the parts real quick. Let me know. if you want me to do that. I would recommend that you probably keep your old 76 LE's shaker hood scoop since if your current '76 T/A's scoop cracks or breaks you'll have a backup. I have a backup for my '79. Nobody makes a repro and GM has no plans to reproduce any new ones from the original molds so the prices for these original ones are going to continue to skyrocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Eric,

If you really want to get rid of these parts. I can post a message on a couple of the Trans Am boards, pointing to your post here. You'll get rid of the parts real quick. Let me know. if you want me to do that. I would recommend that you probably keep your old 76 LE's shaker hood scoop since if your current '76 T/A's scoop cracks or breaks you'll have a backup. I have a backup for my '79. Nobody makes a repro and GM has no plans to reproduce any new ones from the original molds so the prices for these original ones are going to continue to skyrocket.
    Good points... I'll definitely save the '76 shaker as a spare... but if you know anyone who needs a '77-up shaker, feel free to let them know where they can get one!

Eric,

Good move, if you ever need it you'll be glad you kept the '76 shaker.

I'll check around and see if anyone wants to buy your '77 T/A parts. I just remembered I have a 17057263 (77 4-speed W72) Quadrajet sitting in the garage. I'll probably refinish/rebuild it and hang on to it, someone I run into in the future or myself will need it. I had a '79 W72 Formula aircleaner assembly I bought from a guy years ago, I traded it for a NOS '76 - '81 coolant recovery tank. The guy I traded with put it on his 1979 W72 Formula that Jason just restored. So you never know when you or someone else will need your parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Eric,

Good move, if you ever need it you'll be glad you kept the '76 shaker.

I'll check around and see if anyone wants to buy your '77 T/A parts. I just remembered I have a 17057263 (77 4-speed W72) Quadrajet sitting in the garage. I'll probably refinish/rebuild it and hang on to it, someone I run into in the future or myself will need it. I had a '79 W72 Formula aircleaner assembly I bought from a guy years ago, I traded it for a NOS '76 - '81 coolant recovery tank. The guy I traded with put it on his 1979 W72 Formula that Jason just restored. So you never know when you or someone else will need your parts.

As Rocky would say - absolootely!

PS - I do need a pair of correct sail panel "birds" for my car. These aren't stickers (as on the later TAs) but rather small metal badges with red-colored lucite inserts in the shape of the Firebird "bird." The repros I've seen are not correct; the tail feathers at the bottom aren't shaped the same; I will try to take some pics to show what I mean. Anyhow, I'd happily trade the scoop for a pair of these - or buy a pair outright.

Pete,

I know exactly the sail panel bird emblems you speak of, I see no problem finding them for you. I'll work through some connections that I have to see if someone will trade them for your shaker (which is a good possibility) or sell them to you.