Thread: New Job- 2 wheels

New Job- 2 wheels

Back in the workforce....totally unexpected and was to be a part-time job of 3 hours a day

I am a motorbike postie! Is a Honda CT110 really a motorbike ;D

http://www.postiebikes.com/specs.htm

I sure have some aching muscles as I am delivering to a hillside suburb
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

mrblanche

Re: New Job- 2 wheels

Looks virtually identical to the Honda 90 Trail I had in 1968.

DonTom

"Looks virtually identical to the Honda 90 Trail I had in 1968."

I had a Trail 90 (but red) in 1967. In 1968, I owned a 1968 Honda CL350. In May of 1971, I had the Honda 350 and 1971 BMW R75/5.

Still have the BMW R75/5 with three and a half year old gasoline in it. Has not been moved or touched since.

-Don- (SSF, CA)

>>I sure have some aching muscles as I am delivering to a hillside suburb<<

Why? Must it be pushed uphill??? How many MPG and How fast is it?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Back in the workforce....totally unexpected and was to be a part-time job of 3 hours a day

I am a motorbike postie! Is a Honda CT110 really a motorbike ;D

http://www.postiebikes.com/specs.htm

I sure have some aching muscles as I am delivering to a hillside suburb
    At least you won't get too many speeding tickets!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Looks virtually identical to the Honda 90 Trail I had in 1968.

Yep not much has changed since the 90
    I hear guys saying there is a 150cc kit for them.
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>I sure have some aching muscles as I am delivering to a hillside suburb<<

Why? Must it be pushed uphill??? How many MPG and How fast is it?
    It was almost being pushed uphill until Thursday when I arrived in to overhauled clutch and new sprckets for lower gearing. Now it almost flies up the hill..........nah just joking , but it a whole lot better. Me at 86kg plus 40-50kgs of mail makes it work quite hard.

Top speed is a frightening 70kmh now........frightening because the motor sounds as though it wants to fly apart ;D ;D
    Rex

"Top speed is a frightening 70kmh now........frightening because the motor sounds as though it wants to fly apart ;D ;D"

Good stuff - my favorite post of the day!

DonTom

"At least you won't get too many speeding tickets!"

If it can go faster than 15 MPH, you can get a lot of speeding tickets in the Reno area.

-Don- (SSF)

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "At least you won't get too many speeding tickets!"

If it can go faster than 15 MPH, you can get a lot of speeding tickets in the Reno area.

-Don- (SSF)

Yeah, but not ones you can brag about later!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    [
    At least you won't get too many speeding tickets!
    [/quote]

And I get to ride on the footpath
    Rex

DonTom

"Looks virtually identical to the Honda 90 Trail I had in 1968."

I had the exact same bike then. Same year and model, except mine was red.

In 1969, I traded it in on a Honda CL350. Then, shortly after, I was drafted into the army. When I got out of the army, I purchased a new BWM 1971 R75/5 which I still have (but has not been started for years).

Maybe this spring I will fix it up and rid it again, but I have been saying that every year for the past three.

-Don-

"... I was drafted into the army. When I got out of the army, I purchased a new BWM 1971 R75/5 which I still have (but has not been started for years).

Maybe this spring I will fix it up and rid it again, but I have been saying that every year for the past three."

That BMW is a neat bike and a collectible; you really ought to fix her up - and enjoy it! (Or sell it to someone who will...)

DonTom

"(Or sell it to someone who will...)"

Tom & I never sell anything. Don't need money so we just keep things until they are junk that nobody would want, or just give them away.

But I really do plan on fixing up the bike. There's really nothing to fix other than the gasoline in the tank that is now so old that even I won't try to use it. I wonder if I will have to clean out the Mukuni carbs. BTW, my 1971 BMW might be a little too high tech for you. I removed the points and put in a Dyna electronic ignition. Has two coils (really are transformers) and two spark plugs per cylinder. Also has the new valves for unleaded gasoline. Also has an electronic tachometer (says "Harley Davidson -- made in Japan). It has several other mods too, put in by me. Also an added relay to get rid of the "bounce" in the stock ignition switch. So it's not pure BMW. But runs great (or at least did) and a lot more reliable.

BTW, the original Bosch mechanical tach was designed so poorly that it went through about five of them since I owned the bike and years ago decided to change it to an electronic tachometer. With my new ignition system (does have a waste spark) the Harley after market tachometer was perfect. I also could have put in an electronic ignition without a waste spark but then I would never be able to go back to stock points. The way this thing is, if the electronic ignition module or other related parts fail, I can replace it all with the stock points in an emergency, but they might not last long with the higher primary current draw of the two high performance coils / transformers.

-Don-

"But I really do plan on fixing up the bike. There's really nothing to fix other than the gasoline in the tank that is now so old that even I won't try to use it. I wonder if I will have to clean out the Mukuni carbs."

Based on what you've said - that it has been sitting for many years - I'd imagine you'll need to completely clean and rebuild them. If it were my bike, I'd tear the engine down; I would be concerned about brittle/deteriorated seals as well as the possibility that the bearings/cylinder walls might have scale/gunk on them - and I would not want to risk a potentially catastrophic failure by attempting to start such a long-entombed engine...

"BTW, my 1971 BMW might be a little too high tech for you. I removed the points and put in a Dyna electronic ignition. Has two coils (really are transformers) and two spark plugs per cylinder. Also has the new valves for unleaded gasoline. Also has an electronic tachometer (says "Harley Davidson -- made in Japan). It has several other mods too, put in by me. Also an added relay to get rid of the "bounce" in the stock ignition switch. So it's not pure BMW. But runs great (or at least did) and a lot more reliable. "

I did similar with my '76 Kz900. It, too, has the Dyna ignition and the difference in ease of starting, smooth operation (and no maintenance to speak of) is enormous!

"BTW, the original Bosch mechanical tach was designed so poorly that it went through about five of them since I owned the bike and years ago decided to change it to an electronic tachometer. "

Yeah. My bike has a cable driven tach also and you're right, these things were not the best idea... but I don't run this bike real hard so it doesn't have to be especially accurate....

I'm not at all opposed to updating an older vehicle with modern components to improve performance/function. What I am opposed to is excessive (overly complex/expensive) modern technology that takes away from ease of use/simplicity of operation/repair. EFI is an excellent case in point. Massively more expensive than a carbureted set-up and also much more complicated to install and set up properly. And what do you get for all the trouble? Not much. A properly tuned carb will deliver driveability almost as good as the EFI set-up, whose chief advantage is easier cold starts.

Now, an example of a worthwhile upgrade would be to swap out old-style points for a transistorized ignition, as we've been discussing. The end result is a dramatic improvement in overall function/performance - and the conversion pays for itself over just a few years by eliminating the need to buy a new set of breakerpoints once a year (at least) and in longer spark plug life and better fuel economy, too.

I also consider swapping in a modern overdrive transmission to be worth the money/effort because the car will be much more everyday driveable - especially if (like my Pontiac) it's an old muscle car with a very aggressive final drive ratio. Like the Dyna conversion, once installed, there's no increase in hassle to deal with; in fact, there's usually less hassle than with the OEM set up.

Again, that can't be said of converting to EFI.