Thread: Details on '08 Chevy Impala cop car

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Details on '08 Chevy Impala cop car

Chevrolet Impala Police Car?s popularity with law enforcement agencies is certain to grow in 2008. In addition to delivering a high degree of dependability, strength and reliability ? along with superior levels of performance, comfort and capability ? 2008 Chevrolet Impala Police Car FlexFuel models can operate on cleaner-burning, renewable E85, an energy source that can help reduce our dependence on petroleum.

"At Chevrolet, we've been working with law enforcement agencies for many, many years. Through their input or by simple observation, we're constantly searching for ways to make our vehicles better suited to their needs. E85 FlexFuel capability is the latest in a series of improvements we?ve made to the Chevrolet Impala Police Car ? a vehicle designed and engineered from its inception for police use,? said Bruce Wiley, General Motors manager of law enforcement and specialty vehicles.

E85 capability

For 2008, the 3.9L Vortec V-6 engine is FlexFuel capable, meaning it can operate with a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent unleaded gasoline. E85 has been a very popular choice among fleet customers ? including law enforcement agencies ? because its infrastructure is growing, and because E85 vehicles are an affordable fleet option.

In addition to helping reduce our dependence on petroleum, the 3.9L Vortec V-6 delivers improved fuel economy thanks to Active Fuel Management. The technology shuts off half the engine?s cylinders when full power is not needed, improving fuel economy by up to 8 percent in certain driving situations.

The 3.9L uses variable valve timing and a variable-length intake manifold to help produce 233 horsepower (178 kW)* and 240 lb.-ft. (328 Nm) of torque.* This engine offers more power and usable torque within its operating range, with 90 percent of peak torque available from 1800 to 5800 rpm. It?s mated to the Hydra-Matic 4T65 electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission, which is renowned for its smoothness and durability. The Impala police package is equipped with P225/60R16 V-rated tires mounted on heavy-duty 16-inch steel wheels.

To further ensure continued running at high speeds, Impala features an external air-to-oil engine cooler, a transmission-oil cooler and power steering oil cooler ? all standard. Optimal vehicle handling, meanwhile, is ensured by Impala's four-wheel independent suspension. It features reinforced front struts, a reinforced aluminum engine cradle and heavy-duty front and rear stabilizer bars. Sure and safe stops are assured by the Impala Police Car?s anti-lock disc brakes with police calibration and heavy-duty front brake pads.

Durable and comfortable interior

?Law enforcement officers spend a lot of time in their vehicles, so we designed the interior of the Impala Police Car to be both durable and accommodating,? Wiley said.

The Impala police package features six-way power, cloth front bucket seats, while the undercover package features a 40/20/40 split-bench front seat with six-way power adjustments for the driver. All seats ? including the rear bench seat ? are made of heavy-duty materials, ensuring they can stand up to continued use.

Other interior comfort and convenience features include: air conditioning; tinted solar windshield and backlight; solar-ray side glass; power door locks with lockout protection; adjustable tilt steering wheel; inside trunk release; and power windows with rear window lockout protection.

A trusted partner

?Whether law enforcement agencies choose the police package (9C1) or the undercover police package (9C3), they can rest assured knowing that the Impala Police Car expertly meets their rigorous demands,? Wiley said.

New for 2008 is a keyed decklid lock cylinder, proving a higher level of security for those items law enforcement agencies typically store in their trunk. Other thoughtful Impala police vehicle features include: a single-key locking system that requires only one key to operate the doors, the decklid and the ignition; battery run-down protection; "plug and play" electrical wiring harnesses; and lockout protection, which prevents the power door locks from locking the driver's door when the keys are in the ignition.

Impala's safety features include standard driver and front-passenger air bags. Side roof-rail air bags are available.

"At crime or crash scenes, police vehicles support emergency equipment, causing the battery to run down. We've greatly minimized this situation by equipping the Impala police vehicles with a more powerful 150-amp alternator," Wiley added.

Ready for the road

Law enforcement agencies can work through their Chevrolet dealer to equip a police vehicle that is road-ready. From light bars and controllers to sirens, equipment trays and vehicle graphics, the equipment can be ordered through their Chevrolet dealer and installed by Kerr Industries ? an approved second-stage manufacturer for GM.

Law enforcement agencies that order Impala for their vehicle fleet have a range of solid colors and six distinctive dual-color schemes from which to choose.

Staff

Re: Details on '08 Chevy Impala cop car

233 HP out of a 3.9 Liter V6 is an absolute joke.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    233 HP out of a 3.9 Liter V6 is an absolute joke.
    On them!

But eees very good for us...! ;D

Staff

That's true!!! I wish the FHP would switch to 110 mph governed Impalas.

The figure for the 2006 Impala civilian issue was 240hp. I think that we are seeing the beginning of the final derating of American horsepower. so sad. Someone needs to find out what is actually going on. I believe the 2008 Saturn Aura is down from 224 HP to 219 HP.

If this trend continues, the Louisiana cops in Sugar Land Express said it best - "Next year it's propane and super slow!"

The figure for the 2006 Impala civilian issue was 240hp. I think that we are seeing the beginning of the final derating of American horsepower. so sad. Someone needs to find out what is actually going on. I believe the 2008 Saturn Aura is down from 224 HP to 219 HP.

If this trend continues, the Louisiana cops in Sugar Land Express said it best - "Next year it's propane and super slow!"
    My neighbor down the road's a State Trooper; he drives an Impala (marked) and has told me quiet openly that he doesn't even bother turning around when a sport bike flies past him around here - because he knows he's got no chance of even seeing the bike again - let alone catching up to it!

What happened to the FWD V8 that they had in the previous-generation Impala?

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

My neighbor down the road's a State Trooper; he drives an Impala (marked) and has told me quiet openly that he doesn't even bother turning around when a sport bike flies past him around here - because he knows he's got no chance of even seeing the bike again - let alone catching up to it!
    Where I live, I see several cop cars. Mostly county mounties and some state cops. I haven't talked with any of them. I wish that I could get a look at the in-car computers to see how much information that they display. Our state poopers use Crown Vics.. The city crackers use Impalas. I could probably out run one of those in my Saturn! Not that I would try...