Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary thoughts

mrblanche

Scary thoughts

Some college (didn't catch the name in the report) just came out with a list of reality checks for the kids starting college this year. Keep in mind, they were born in 1989!

1. For them, there was never a Berlin Wall.

2. As far back as they can remember, Al Gore has been running or thinking about running for President.

I might add that for them, there have always been cell phones, and no luxury cars have ever had a stick shift.

Re: Scary thoughts

Do kids ever study history at all?

The rise of Bolshevism? The rise of Nazism?

better still, the Chartist Movement, and English parliamentary history of 1840-1870...

You will note that the US isn't really involved.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Some college (didn't catch the name in the report) just came out with a list of reality checks for the kids starting college this year. Keep in mind, they were born in 1989!

1. For them, there was never a Berlin Wall.

2. As far back as they can remember, Al Gore has been running or thinking about running for President.

I might add that for them, there have always been cell phones, and no luxury cars have ever had a stick shift.
    Except BMWs... the M3 is a modern legend....!

But you're right about the rest. I, too, am feeling relic-like since I can easily remember a pre-Internet (hell, pre-computer) America where there were no cell phones and cars came brand-new with FM/AM radios without digital anything. (One of the first cars I can recall that had a digital stereo was the 1979 10th Anniversary Trans-Am - Pete has one). Reaching farther back, I can remember Betamax - and before that, when there were only three networks on TV and if you got up really early, there was nothing but static on...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    (One of the first cars I can recall that had a digital stereo was the 1979 10th Anniversary Trans-Am - Pete has one). Reaching farther back, I can remember Betamax - and before that, when there were only three networks on TV and if you got up really early, there was nothing but static on...
    I'm sure there's nothing "digital" about that radio except for the frequency display.

no cell phones
    Driving across America is much less risky than it used to be -- prior to cell-phones, if you broke down somewhere, you'd have to hitch a ride to a phone booth to call AAA. And then walk or hitch back.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    (One of the first cars I can recall that had a digital stereo was the 1979 10th Anniversary Trans-Am - Pete has one). Reaching farther back, I can remember Betamax - and before that, when there were only three networks on TV and if you got up really early, there was nothing but static on...
    I'm sure there's nothing "digital" about that radio except for the frequency display.
    It was a digital readout/display (and red backlit, too). A first for the Firebird; Pete has one... he knows more about than I do!~

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    no cell phones
    Driving across America is much less risky than it used to be -- prior to cell-phones, if you broke down somewhere, you'd have to hitch a ride to a phone booth to call AAA. And then walk or hitch back.

Chip H.
    What is risky about depending on local help if you break down on a long trip?

If I break down here, or even a flat tire, somebody will help. Are people that scared of each other in the US the land of the free?

Lots of movies aimed at teens where the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere ... except it's not really nowhere, it's actually by a former insane asylum now populated with cannibals.

So yeah, we're indoctrinated not to trust strangers.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    So yeah, we're indoctrinated not to trust strangers.

Chip H.
    I don't fear anyone, even though am relatively weak being in a wheelchair.
    Demeanour may be something.

For womem, I dunno.

I don't know how women think.

D_E_Davis

But you're right about the rest. I, too, am feeling relic-like since I can easily remember a pre-Internet (hell, pre-computer) America where there were no cell phones and cars came brand-new with FM/AM radios without digital anything. (One of the first cars I can recall that had a digital stereo was the 1979 10th Anniversary Trans-Am - Pete has one). Reaching farther back, I can remember Betamax - and before that, when there were only three networks on TV and if you got up really early, there was nothing but static on...
    Infant! The car radio used to be an added-cost option - AM only, and this radio had the beloved vibrator to help raise the voltage for the tubes. And, my brother and I would stand gazing at those TV sets in the appliance store window, wondering if our parents would ever get one.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Infant! The car radio used to be an added-cost option - AM only, and this radio had the beloved vibrator to help raise the voltage for the tubes. And, my brother and I would stand gazing at those TV sets in the appliance store window, wondering if our parents would ever get one.

We didn't have anything plastic.
    But we were LUCKY!

I dunno about you but I grew up without TV. We had when I was 13yrs 'Bonanza' and the 'Top Cat' and Lucille Ball and then I learned about girls and bikes and cars... and with far too much energy I eventually took up running. When the extreme energy of teenagehood subsided I thought I had it sussed...

Certain events have suggested that perhaps not.

Gimme time!

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    What is risky about depending on local help if you break down on a long trip?

If I break down here, or even a flat tire, somebody will help. Are people that scared of each other in the US the land of the free?
    It's a BIG country - 'local' in your context is vastly different from 'local' in the US!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand

It's a BIG country - 'local' in your context is vastly different from 'local' in the US!
    But what is this fear in the US?

I don't think people finding a car broken-down requires guns.
    And when it comes to 'local', do American think if they 'break down' anywhere in the US they will be attacked, like the worst cases in SA?

Also, how do you pretend to say 'local' in my country is different? Will Americans have packs of armed terrorists descending on them if they break down?
    I would challenge one of them to an arm wrestle.
    A few years ago, I had a short time when nobody who took up that challenge sober ever defeated me, which is quite hard to reconcile with what JDM saw about 2 years ago, I have to say I understand breating a bit, and suffering pain a bit, and when my bones were better than they are now, and there was not much fat on me.... in pubs the 'kingpin' would perhaps have had to show his arm strength, and if it came to a issue, usually in very social sense similar to darts, and me being paralysed from the chest down, in sheer power they certainly could have beaten me, but there were girls in the background, and sometimes in fact I had the better of them, which spectators respected.
    In fact I had old Scottish trainer in weightlifting in 1975 just after the huge injury learned a bit about mind-over-matter. And enjoyed bench-pressing.

I think my ability to lift twice my own weight conflicted with my very other things

Hillary Clinton was out jogging one morning along the parkway when
    she tripped, fell over the bridge railing and landed in the creek below.
    Before the Secret Service guys could get to her, 3 kids who were
    fishing pulled her out of the water. She was so grateful she offered
    the kids whatever they wanted.

The first kid said, "I want to go to Disneyland. "Hillary said, "No
    problem, I'll take you there on my special Senator's airplane." The
    second kid said, "I want a new pair of Nike Air Jordan's. "Hillary
    said, "I'll get them for you and even have Michael sign them!! "The
    third kid said, "I want a motorized wheelchair with a built in TV
    and stereo headset!" Hillary was a little perplexed by this and
    said, "But you don't look like you're handicapped." The kid said, "I
    will be after my dad finds out I saved you from drowning."

I cannot answer that.

Why are you guys so hateful either way?

"
    My family lived in the boonies for a few years and I was 16 before I ever saw TV.

Did you get a Muntz TV? "There's something about a Muntz TV ... ." I think that they were indigenous to CA but the ads were everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

"
    My family lived in the boonies for a few years and I was 16 before I ever saw TV.

Did you get a Muntz TV? "There's something about a Muntz TV ... ." I think that they were indigenous to CA but the ads were everywhere.

Around the time you were worrying about whether yoy had TV we in the Empire hand-shovelled millions of tons of coal.

Far be it from me to comment ..
    but I have this day thought to depict a 1945 steam engine built at Doncaster in the north east of England much bombed and merchant navy deicimated and India looking like partition.

This brought about an 'economical' style of engine to replace the 23,000 mostly worn-out engines after the war, built with existing tools.
    A few were painted in bright colours. These were dark days, milk and butter and meat was rationed.
    People were healthy...

This engine was built in 1945 under the then-private ownership of the Brititsh equivalent of GM., except the London and North Eastern Railway, dedicated to the percfection of capitalsm took every penny, named engines after themselves, and retired to the country.

It was painted green to show that we won the war...

And had you lost, what would the color have been?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm

Green.

And had you lost, what would the color have been?