Thread: A couple of items you may have missed in the news

mrblanche

A couple of items you may have missed in the news

Last week, for the first time since March of 2003, there were no American military deaths in Iraq.

George Carlin has more than annoyed his fan base by saying that those in CA who were burned out of their homes deserved it, and said he can't wait for the water levels to rise and drown any number of cities.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: A couple of items you may have missed in the news

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Last week, for the first time since March of 2003, there were no American military deaths in Iraq.

George Carlin has more than annoyed his fan base by saying that those in CA who were burned out of their homes deserved it, and said he can't wait for the water levels to rise and drown any number of cities.
    All this tells us is that the military has put a lid (temporarily) on some of the violence; but Iraq is no closer to a functioning state - let alone "democracy" - than it was a year ago.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    All this tells us is that the military has put a lid (temporarily) on some of the violence; but Iraq is no closer to a functioning state - let alone "democracy" - than it was a year ago.
    Maybe, and maybe not. But you won't hear it from most news outlets if it is, will you?

DonTom

"Last week, for the first time since March of 2003, there were no American military deaths in Iraq."

Don't bet on it. In Vietnam they had a way to delay the reports of KIA's so they would get reported when they wanted them too instead of when they really happened (according to those who dealt with such, in the Netscape/CompuServe military forum).

-Don-

Maybe, and maybe not. But you won't hear it from most news outlets if it is, will you?
    You mean like Faux News? Or The Washington Times?

There's as much "media bias" on the right as there is on the left.

mrblanche

You mean like Faux News? Or The Washington Times?

There's as much "media bias" on the right as there is on the left.
    Probably so. But the right usually admits it; the left never will.

But Fox News employs more acknowledged liberals than most other outlets, and they are allowed, even encouraged, to admit it. As are the Conservatives. Try getting that admission from Dianne Rehm.

Try getting that admission from Dianne Rehm.
    I can't abide listening to her - one of the reasons I chose Serius was to get full NPR, another was to compare it to XM which is in the other car. It seems to me that even the best of NPR is rubbish, nothing more than Limbaughism supported by the taxpayer.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    I can't abide listening to her - one of the reasons I chose Serius was to get full NPR, another was to compare it to XM which is in the other car. It seems to me that even the best of NPR is rubbish, nothing more than Limbaughism supported by the taxpayer.
    I know she has some kind of speech impediment; but her voice is just grating... like listening to a 110 year old in a nursing home.... No offense, but a radio broadcaster needs to have a clear, pleasing voice. Unfair? That's life. We don't allow guys with one eye and 50 percent vision in the remaining one to fly commercial jets, either.

mrblanche

I know she has some kind of speech impediment; but her voice is just grating... like listening to a 110 year old in a nursing home.... No offense, but a radio broadcaster needs to have a clear, pleasing voice. Unfair? That's life. We don't allow guys with one eye and 50 percent vision in the remaining one to fly commercial jets, either.
    But she has great guests. She has a disease of the vocal cords of some sort; she actually is younger than I am, by a good deal. Ah, here it is: spasmodic dysphonia, a neurological condition in which the vocal cords constrict when they're not supposed to.

For example, she had a guy on this week who has just written a book about rewriting the Constitution. Fascinating, no matter what side you're on.

But her idea of "fairness" is two liberals and a moderate discussing current events. Challenge her on it, and she will accuse you of being a right-wing radical.

"On the Media" can be fascinating, too, but again, here's an example of their idea of "fairness." When they discussed the Rush Limbaugh show, they called someone like Al Franken to comment on it. But when they discussed "Air America," the called a Democratic activist to comment on it. Had they called Limbaugh, they might have gotten as good a commentary as they did from Franken.

I have even called them on it, and they have responded a time or two. They referred to the Washington Times as a "not notably unbiased newspaper," which struck me as very strange from people who spend so much time insinsting that they are unbiased.

Challenge her on it, and she will accuse you of being a right-wing radical.
    Really? I don't think I've ever heard her stoop to labelling or name-calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    For her, the ability to talk is a speech impediment.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Really? I don't think I've ever heard her stoop to labelling or name-calling.
    Then you haven't listened to her much. Several times, I've heard callers who challenged her view (or that of her guests) about some item or another, and she actually cut them off. That's not her usual method, but she WILL do it.

One of the funnier such items was when someone asked why NPR always took the left side of every issue when she had a Republican guest on. She denied it, cut the caller off, and then turned to the guest and asked, "So why won't President Bush meet with Cindy Sheehan?" The guest very politely explained to her that he already had. She immediately went on the attack about how he should sit down with her and have a long, heart-to-heart discussion.

And she DOES turn every issue into a "bash Bush" opportunity. Whether it's fires in CA or airlines being late, she always takes the opportunity to get in her digs.