Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROAD RAGE

gail

ROAD RAGE

Today's telephone system is the reason. Press one for English - why should I press anything for English? I live in an English speaking country where the majority of the people speak English. Also, English is the International language. It is necessary for people to speak English if they have any hope of prosperity.

When I try to make a telephone call in short order I am a raving mad luntic--foaming at the mouth, growling animal. I feel mean, rude ready to drive my car up somebody's tailpipe. Let me at 'em. grrrrrrr.

Can you tell that I've just gotten off the phone -- pushing buttons, being on hold -- and then, after pushing 1 for English, I can't understand the person answering. I told someone the other day, "I pushed one for English." to which the person on the other end of the line says, "Ice speek Anglich." Get me someone that I can understand. Rude? yes! Now I'm ready to get into my car and show you ROAD RAGE!

This pilot spoke German to the control tower. The controller said, "you must speak to me in English." The Pilot answered, "Why should I speak English? I am a German pilot, in a German plane, getting ready to land at a German airport." There was a pause and then the controller said, "Because you lost the War?"

That is about it, isn't it? The country speaks the language of the victors, don't we? When was the war? I missed it and now we are all Mexicans.

DonTom

Re: ROAD RAGE

"Also, English is the International language. "

There was no evidence of that in southern mainland China, except for some of the words on the outside of some buildings. The only English Tom and I heard is what we spoke to each other.

-Don-

mrblanche

I'm pretty sure I could get a job teaching English in almost any Asian country. There is a huge demand for it. If nothing else, I could get a job translating users' manuals into correct English. Or even readable English.

But here's a hot tip. Want to get through to someone faster? Push the "Spanish" button. That person is almost certainly bilingual, and you'll get through faster.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I'm pretty sure I could get a job teaching English in almost any Asian country. There is a huge demand for it. If nothing else, I could get a job translating users' manuals into correct English. Or even readable English.

But here's a hot tip. Want to get through to someone faster? Push the "Spanish" button. That person is almost certainly bilingual, and you'll get through faster.
    Wow! That never occurred to me. You are saying that Espanol get better service. PS that is one of the 5 Spanish words that I know.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"Today's telephone system is the reason. Press one for English - why should I press anything for English? I live in an English speaking country where the majority of the people speak English."

Not for long

mrblanche

I told my students 30 years ago that the day would come when our descendents have brown skin, epicanthic folds, speak a combination of English, Spanish, and Chinese, and brag about both their slave and slave-owning ancestors.

gail

I told my students 30 years ago that the day would come when our descendents have brown skin, epicanthic folds, speak a combination of English, Spanish, and Chinese, and brag about both their slave and slave-owning ancestors.
    I own up to the latter. It was the culture of the time and I make no apologies. It wasn't just the Eleven Southern states either. Most of the slave owners were kind and compassionate people. The slaves were just a step below being part of the family. I realize that it wasn't ideal, and that no person should be owned, however even today people are in bondage one way or another and I don't condone that either.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    I own up to the latter.
    Both SLAVE and slave owner?

ColleenC2

Anyone who works today is the new slave!! We work so others don't have to. Welfare, Section 8,food stamps, medical, etc., etc.,

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenC2
    Anyone who works today is the new slave!! We work so others don't have to. Welfare, Section 8,food stamps, medical, etc., etc.,
    But that wasn't the point. We were discussing ancestors, not philosophical points of view.

ColleenC2

however even today people are in bondage one way or another and I don't condone that either.

I'm sorry I did not realize that I thought you were questioning whether my Mom was owning up to whether she has been a slave or not.

Amen!

We're indentured servants, at the very least. Even property ownership is illusory. You must pay "rent" (property taxes) indefinitely; fail to pay and they take your land - even if you don't "owe" a cent on it.

So much for ownership.

I hope the revolution comes before I'm too old to participate!

DonTom

"We work so others don't have to. "

I don't work much, but I am employed. I am at my sinecure right now.

-Don-

gail

But that wasn't the point. We were discussing ancestors, not philosophical points of view.
    One of my paternal ancestor's came over from Ireland as an Indenture Servant. Several lines of my family owned slaves. Does that clarify the ancestor part of the statement?

Philosophically, I do not believe any person should be a slave, nor an indentured servant. I do not support sweat factories or prostitution or any other manner of bondage. Would I have owned slaves had I lived in that era? Probably, the mind-set was different than it is today. I am a kind person, so I would like to believe that I would have been kind to all I encountered, and as soon as I was enlightened to have given those under my jurisdiction their freedom.

" I do not support sweat factories or prostitution or any other manner of bondage."

Then you should oppose any trade dealings with countries like China!

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

" I do not support sweat factories or prostitution or any other manner of bondage."

Then you should oppose any trade dealings with countries like China!
    I do - but not to the extent of depriving myself. I am very suspicious of any product from China. It is because of my own paranoia and the conspiracy mentality.

I'm not so much against child labor though -- you don't see a high juvenile delinquency rate in countries that have the children working from the time they are weaned.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Amen!

We're indentured servants, at the very least. Even property ownership is illusory. You must pay "rent" (property taxes) indefinitely; fail to pay and they take your land - even if you don't "owe" a cent on it.

So much for ownership.

I hope the revolution comes before I'm too old to participate!
    Here, here.

>>This pilot spoke German to the control tower. The controller said, "you must speak to me in English." The Pilot answered, "Why should I speak English? I am a German pilot, in a German plane, getting ready to land at a German airport." There was a pause and then the controller said, "Because you lost the War?"

That is about it, isn't it? The country speaks the language of the victors, don't we? When was the war? I missed it and now we are all Mexicans.<<

The language that is spoken by commercial pilots world wide is English-- because that is the language that was chosen many years ago to allow everyone flying to understand what is happening. It has nothing to do with who won the war.
    Gail, some of your comparisons are a bit of a stretch---
    I find it much simpler to obey the rules of the road than to stand around and fight with every cop and law maker. You agree that wearing a seatbelt is safer in a crash than not wearing one --- so-- why not just wear the thing and shut up about it.
    No they don't have them on busses, but here inTexas, they have talked about requireing them on school busses.

"You agree that wearing a seatbelt is safer in a crash than not wearing one --- so-- why not just wear the thing and shut up about it. "

Because there's an important principle at issue. Each year, the state assumes more and more power; it encroaches ever more into areas that were once "off limits" - private choices made by individuals, for good or ill. Much of this is "busybody-ism" - cloying, suffocating crap foisted by "concerned moms" and other Yentas who ought to mind their own damn business.

I have a Mom already. I don't need a second one (in the form of the state) to hector me over my private decisions that have no direct effect on others. Seat belt laws are a case in point. If you accept the idea that the state has a right to impose itself in this area because wearing a seat belts is "safer" and/or "good for you" - then you open up the door to endless further busy-bodyisms.

I don't want that. I suspect, neither do you!

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>This pilot spoke German to the control tower. The controller said, "you must speak to me in English." The Pilot answered, "Why should I speak English? I am a German pilot, in a German plane, getting ready to land at a German airport." There was a pause and then the controller said, "Because you lost the War?"

That is about it, isn't it? The country speaks the language of the victors, don't we? When was the war? I missed it and now we are all Mexicans.<<

The language that is spoken by commercial pilots world wide is English-- because that is the language that was chosen many years ago to allow everyone flying to understand what is happening. It has nothing to do with who won the war.
    Gail, some of your comparisons are a bit of a stretch---
    Like Jay Leno -- I don't write the jokes, I just pass them on. I have a myriad collection of people sending me endless and often repetitious jokes. ;D