Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

Gail,

"Gay Marriage Debate About Law, Not Love"

See:

http://www.thehoya.com/viewpoint/102607/view5.cfm

And look what all these religious leaders are supporting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GTPP-9G0-Y

-Don-
    You have to wonder about these guys and their fixation on homosexuality (which isn't even among the "big sins" listed in the Ten Commandments of their own doctrine....)

Re: For Gail - -Gay marriage & religious nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    ... (which isn't even among the "big sins" listed in the Ten Commandments of their own doctrine....)
    Clearly it's an offense so bizarre that even God hadn't anticipated it. That makes it a sort of super-sin, over and above the ones listed in the commandments.

right...

"Gay Marriage Debate About Law, Not Love"
    -Don-
    It seems to me that plumbing should not be determinative of tax, property and estate treatment.

That said, it also seems that there are a few nutters on the gay side who refuse to settle for any term but 'marriage' which is a point that the other side makes too much of. Perhaps if all would accept some term such as 'civil union,' the result would be the same and the 'marriage' terminology war could be fought another day.

mrblanche

I would vote for outlawing the term "marriage." How's that?

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I would vote for outlawing the term "marriage." How's that?
    Excellent. Or at least let it serve as something arising from religious ceremony and not law. Isn't France soemthing like that?

I fear that if activists press this issue too far, what will end up happening is that employers will cease to offer spousal benefits such as health care.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    I fear that if activists press this issue too far, what will end up happening is that employers will cease to offer spousal benefits such as health care.
    At one time employers' concerns might have been justified but that is very likely a non-issue today.

DonTom

"it also seems that there are a few nutters on the gay side who refuse to settle for any term but 'marriage'"

I don't even like the name "marriage". It's too meaningless after so many heterosexuals couples have ruined any meaning of the word. For an example, Clinton (who signed the DOMA) is married, but the only protection his marriage needs is from himself. Scott Pererson was married too.

I prefer a new word for both gays and heterosexuals that really means a lifetime monogamous relationship, like mine. I don't want my relationship compared to most heterosexual "marriages".

However, some believe it will never be equal under the law if a different name is used. But even when the same name is used (such as in Massachusetts) it's far from being equal to a heterosexual marriage done in the same place and time because of federal marriage laws. And those are often the most important ones of them all.

We have a long way to go with this issue here in the USA, compared to Canada where they really do have equality. In fact, Canada had more equality for gay couples before they allowed gay marriage then we do for a legal gay married couple in Massachusetts. Jeff and Keiichi (from Japan) can explain better. They were forced to split up after almost ten years together. A heterosexual couple could have stayed together via legal marriage who were in the exact same situation.

The same could have happened to Tom (born in Hong Kong) & me if it were not for luck with a temporary change in INS law in 1981.

Canada had a special deal for gay couples in such situations even BEFORE they legalized gay marriage.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
    --William Shakespeare

-Don Quoteman

You have to wonder about these guys and their fixation on homosexuality (which isn't even among the "big sins" listed in the Ten Commandments of their own doctrine....)
    Leviticus 18:22 states the following: "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; such a thing is an abomination" - I don't think it gets more clearer that homosexuality is a big sin - ie: mortal sin.

If God had intended on homosexual marriage, this union would provide for procreation. It does not since marriage is intended to be between a man and a woman. Homosexual marriage is against the natural law, always has been and 2,000 years from now it still will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Leviticus 18:22 states the following: "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; such a thing is an abomination" - I don't think it gets more clearer that homosexuality is a big sin - ie: mortal sin.

If God had intended on homosexual marriage, this union would provide for procreation. It does not since marriage is intended to be between a man and a woman. Homosexual marriage is against the natural law, always has been and 2,000 years from now it still will be.
    Well, that all depends on which god (or gods) one chooses.

Personally, I think the job may be too big to be handled by a single entity.

D_E_Davis

The problem with that is Leviticus contains a long list of prohibitions that everyone save orthodox Jews ignore - you can't regard that piece of the Old Testament as anything more than history.

DonTom

Do you really believe in that Christian nonsense?

I have never laid with a man "as with a woman". Neither has Tom. We are not at all bisexual. That verse is simply telling bisexuals to make up their minds!

And since older heterosexual people cannot have children, they should not be allowed to marry?

-Don-

Do you really believe in that Christian nonsense?

I have never laid with a man "as with a woman". Neither has Tom. We are not at all bisexual. That verse is simply telling bisexuals to make up their minds!

And since older heterosexual people cannot have children, they should not be allowed to marry?

-Don-
    Actually, that's Jewish nonsense.

DonTom

"Leviticus 18:22 states the following: "

Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses sex advice to people who call in to her show. Recently, she said that as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstance.

The following is an Open Letter to Dr. Laura:

Dear Dr. Laura:
    Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your radio show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other specific Bible laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her? She's 18 and starting University. Must the slave buyer continue to pay for her education by law ?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should this be a neighborhood improvement project ?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? Would contact lenses help ?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev. 24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan

-Don-

DonTom

"Actually, that's Jewish nonsense."

It's used by Jewish as well as Christians or just about anybody else who needs an argument against gays. But it's clear to me that it's only against bisexuals anyway. And Tom & I are not a bit bisexual, so it could not apply to us even if we believed in such nonsense.

-Don-

Don,

Christianity is not nonsense, it will be around long after you and I depart from this earth. For instance the moral teachings of the Catholic Church have not changed in 2,000 years and 2,000 years from now, the teachings will still be the same. The practice of homosexual acts will still be a mortal sin.

The purpose of our very short time on earth is to serve God. It is not an easy road, it at times can be hard. But it is a journey that provides peace to the soul, especially in these turbulent times. God has given each of us free will to do as we choose. But remember what we do on this earth will determine how we spend life in the next life. Eternity is an very long time.

DonTom

" For instance the moral teachings of the Catholic Church have not changed in 2,000 years and 2,000 years from now, the teachings will still be the same. The practice of homosexual acts will still be a mortal sin."

Not true. The next Bible update will be here soon and then only heterosexuality will be a sin. Such a better way to end the evil human species than the wars of the near future.

Be sure to read the Queen James Version!

And the biggest sin of all was done by God himself because:

"Humanity is the sin of God."
    --Theodore Parker

-Don Quoteman

DonTom

"Christianity is not nonsense, it will be around long after you and I depart from this earth. "

So will a thousand or so other religions and superstitions be around after we depart. Man is often very superstitious and believes in a lot of silly nonsense on faith alone.

And if humans have a purpose it's to destroy everything on earth. By far, it's what we do best. And the human heterosexual orientation is very evil. It leads people to abortions, world overpopulation, kids to have babies. Vietnam filled up with Amerasian babies and young kids after the war because of the evil heterosexual orientation. Most of these babies and kids did not survive.

Any god that still supports the evil human heterosexual orientation is an evil god. Pure logic proves it. No faith required for such truth.

-Don-

DonTom

"If God had intended on homosexual marriage,"

Paul said "It's better to marry than to burn in your lust".

Obviously, the opposite sex won't help with gays who have a lust problem.

So it's clear that Paul supported same sex marriage for those who are naturally gay.

-Don-