Thread: A More Perfect Constitution

mrblanche

A More Perfect Constitution

I mentioned this book and its author previously here he is on the Diane Rehm show:

http://wamu.org/programs/dr/07/10/18.php

I think I heard him on another show, but I may be mistaken.

But he advocates for a new Constitutional Convention, leaving only the Bill of Rights off limits. He has some interesting ideas, such as one 6-year term for President, with the option of running for a 2-year extension one time, raising the number of congressmen to 1,000, but cutting their office budgets in half, and forcing a vote on any war every 6 months.

Here it is at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/More-Perfect-C...3664348&sr=8-1

Re: A More Perfect Constitution

No one wants a constitutional convention because there's no way to restrict what they do. No holds barred.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

No.

As much as some things need change, in the present political climate I don't trust anyone to improve on what we've already got. They could build in all kinds of new powers for freedom-haters like Bush to exploit. There's just too much potential for abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    No.

As much as some things need change, in the present political climate I don't trust anyone to improve on what we've already got. They could build in all kinds of new powers for freedom-haters like Bush to exploit. There's just too much potential for abuse.
    That and the fact that they would not restrict themselves to broad language but instead try to micromanage the life of the average citizen.

Then again, if they mandated exile for any politician who served more than an aggregate of ten years in public office or took up lobbying, I might support the idea.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    No one wants a constitutional convention because there's no way to restrict what they do. No holds barred.

Did you listen to the clip? I know, it's almost an hour long, but the guy is fascinating. And while I disagree with almost everything he says politically, nonetheless he has some brave ideas. And he DOES say that the reason a convention hasn't happened yet is that both sides think the other side would run away with it.

Staff

I do not favor a constitutional convention. I do favor the idea of increasing the number of representatives and going back to appointed senators. Where in the constitution does it call for only 435 representatives?

You are all Fishwives, bitching and moaning, and should never have imagined that existing structures had semsible checks and balances...

There ought to be debate about the US structures, at least. Since you people in the US buy our produce, we need you.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    I do not favor a constitutional convention. I do favor the idea of increasing the number of representatives and going back to appointed senators. Where in the constitution does it call for only 435 representatives?
    You guys are all missing the elephant in the room. The US is no longer governable as a single entity; it's too "diverse" ( god, I hate that term) with nothing holding it together but consumerism. Political/social (even regional) disparities are becoming very serious. What, for example, does a mostly Hispanic/Latino (and densely populated) California have in common with a mostly white, sparsely populated Nebraska? Might as well be different countries... .

For those who would like to live under a strictly limited government where there's minimal interference in peaceful private conduct, low taxes, etc. - the only way they'll ever get it is to create an independent state so dedicated. Ditto those who want a "social state" in which the government provides health care and enforces "politically correct" policies. And so also for those who would like to live in a theocratic state.

All these aims/values are opposed to one another - virulently.

That means either peaceful secession - or civil war - or authoritarianism (to hold the current untenable mess together by force).

Which of these do you suppose is most likely to come to pass?

Most likely? Option C.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Most likely? Option C.
    Yep - that's how I see it also... .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    For those who would like to live under a strictly limited government where there's minimal interference in peaceful private conduct, low taxes, etc. - the only way they'll ever get it is to create an independent state so dedicated. Ditto those who want a "social state" in which the government provides health care and enforces "politically correct" policies. And so also for those who would like to live in a theocratic state.

All these aims/values are opposed to one another - virulently.
    A confederation of states ought to be able to get along, but if there is little respect for regional autonomy it won't fly.
    States might have quite different 'societies' but they can share legal structures and attitudes to do with cohabitation.

I don't personally like the low-tax leave-me-alone philosophy but I can repect people who choose it.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

A confederation of states ought to be able to get along,
    We tried that already, it did not work.

I don't personally like the low-tax leave-me-alone philosophy but I can respect people who choose it.
    What I personally like is the "tax somebody else and give me his money" philosophy.

That's what everyone else likes, too, but most lack the courage and/or wit to articulate it in simple terms.

"I don't personally like the low-tax leave-me-alone philosophy but I can repect people who choose it."

I like the idea of being charitable toward others; what I resent (and object to) is being compelled to pay for the irresponsible actions of total strangers. For example, I feel no obligation whatever to provide an open-ended financial lifeline to people who produce kids they can't afford. After one such birth, the individual should be compelled to work - and the child put into foster care. If the person produces a second child they can't take care of, he/she should be sterlized by court order. As a famous judge once so nicely put it, three generations of imbeciles is enough!

I bags choose who we sterilise.

RAV4 drivers perhaps...

I bags choose who we sterilise.

RAV4 drivers perhaps...
    Envy can be a cruel master.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    Envy can be a cruel master.
    A new RAV4 and a Landcruiser took off in a double-lane road to open road in front of me this morning, and ran side-by-side for about 300 yards when they had reached about 35mph, and I noted that after a full 900 yards had reached the dizzying speed of 45mph on what was now open road.

Acceleration from 0-45mpg in the well over 1/2 mile was not enough. There were roadwords, and they actually acelerated.

With this empirical evidence I suggest that RAV4 drivers be re-educated, Landcruiser drivers herded together in the seach for los pilots in Nevada.

How can you do this to me, JDM? You recently rode a Ducati 900. And I admit a mild thrill when I stopped on the outskirts of ChCh today to watch a train pass... I stopped away from an intersection on a side-road and watched the faces of the drivers at 11am Sunday as a man who looked like you could eat you stopped his big-exhaust turbo Mitsubishi and not one 2,750hp GE but five locomotives [OK in the US this is common] but for even the most delerioys NZ drivers trains usual have one or two engines only

It was beautiful, all five engine were GEs although not all with the same electronics and breathing setups, and they were at a local council required under 35mph inside city limits ...[ gone are the days when passenger trains similar that pic I sent two days ago ran up to 70mph over this crossing... ] the empty coal hoppers were rolling on and on and on.

There was a driver and one other person in the cab of the leading engine, possibly a driver who was both 'learning the road' or maybe a mehcanical electrical tech engineer with all five engines giving instant telemetry of everything going on in every engine. [although these guys usually just record stuff, the drivers used work out way to fix these things... they go slower these days on the good track]

The cars were OK. It wasn't like bringing an heavy train towards Lyttleton running late because of snow drifts and running fast. It was a bit sterile; the five engines all had notch 5 which in car parlance would be about 1/3rd throttle and were accelerating, it was a countless line of empty hoppers, used to bring the coal to make the steel to make, ack, gag, gasp, more RAV4s.

How can you do this to me, JDM?

Quite easily, that's how.

About a year ago I decided that I wanted a reliable, reasonably fast, somewhat nimble four wheel drive vehicle with enough ground clearance to handle local snow accumulations. It was to be on the smallish side and inexpensive, too.

This resulted in two choices, the CRV and the RAV4. The RAV offered a six cylinder motor, the CRV but a four. Had they been 2005 models, the CRV might have been chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    How can you do this to me, JDM?
    Don't expect a good obituary, unless we sort this

If I go offline for a month,

then, assume I am dead. google 'trevor mcgavin'

I do get busy with projects, but the need to needle you would have me taking a look.
    This is actually a good forum.

But I have a need to AVOID running over our long CSreve friendship, because you are so the cynic and yet so good. Ten years + and you are someone I *wouldn't* pick to dismantle my toy train engine. You know what would have happened. I with my left hand asking you to do things with your right..