Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is easier to service - an old car or a new car?

DonTom

Re: Which is easier to service - an old car or a new car?

"I test drive a couple new cars each week; I've driven virtually every new make/model of car for the past 13 years. My "sample" is much more comprehensive."

But how often to you change a tire in any of them?

-Don- (Reno)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "I test drive a couple new cars each week; I've driven virtually every new make/model of car for the past 13 years. My "sample" is much more comprehensive."

But how often to you change a tire in any of them?

-Don- (Reno)
    It's not necessary to actually change a tire to know a jack/lug wrench are sketchy (just as it's perfectly possible to know a tool of some other kind is a flimsy POS just by examining it). But in fact I have changed a few tires; it happens more often than you might think. Bear in mind I drive 2-3 cars each week - and roughly 25,000 miles annually....

DonTom

"But in fact I have changed a few tires; '

I've changed quite a few. The reason I asked if you've read the owner's manual is because some of these jacks are flaky until you put them exactly where it says. Many cars have a notch in the frame for them. I always thought the old jacks (from the 1960's) were junk and dangerous. They even looked dangerous and people have been killed with them.

I have yet to see a scissor style jack that didn't work well. And even with the older jacks you were supposed to be on level ground.

BTW, yesterday I changed the spark plugs in my 1999 Dodge (5.2L) pickup truck. Can you believe I spent more than an hour to remove a boot from a spark plug? It was like welded on! And this truck has the spark plugs in these round thingies that are also very difficult to remove. But I finally got the "round thingie" (really a small cylinder that the spark plug fits into) off (with the spark plug still in) so I could get what was left of the wire and connector out to remove the spark plug. The master cylinder brake power booster was in the way (really BIG in this truck). All other seven plugs were easy.

But this stupid old design has a distributor, and where do they put it? Behind the engine as far as possible, right in the middle so there's no way to get a hand on it. I only replaced the one wire that I had to destroy, not the rest of the wires and distributor cap, rotor. I might try that next time I am in the mode to frustrate myself.

The old plugs, all with 110,000 miles on them, looked almost like new. They probably would have lasted the life of the truck. I only changed them because I am supposed to at 110,000 miles. But there's no doubt how clean these engines run since OBD2 .

Seems every time I change spark plugs, I have a problem with removing one boot, just as I did with the 1999 Mustang I worked on two weeks ago.

-Don- (Reno)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

" Can you believe I spent more than an hour to remove a boot from a spark plug?"

Yes!

Been there/don that, too... .

"But this stupid old design has a distributor, and where do they put it? Behind the engine as far as possible, right in the middle so there's no way to get a hand on it. I only replaced the one wire that I had to destroy, not the rest of the wires and distributor cap, rotor. I might try that next time I am in the mode to frustrate myself."

Indeed. The engine was put together as an "assembly" when the car was buing built, then shoehorned into the bay - after which the bodywork, etc. was bolted on - rendering service extremely challenging. Gotta love it....