Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's most annoying?

mrblanche

Re: What's most annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    And what is a 'thaler?'
    It is the German word we got "dollar" from.

Ok, new item to add to the "most annoying" list:

White Van Man

Unlike the WVM you find in the UK (who is a maniac behind the wheel), the US variant spends their time driving slowly in front of you, while they talk on their phone and eat their breakfast. They're not concerned about getting where they're going quickly -- they're paid-up members of the United Brotherhood of Annoying Drivers, Local 281 (also known as the U-Bads).

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Ok, new item to add to the "most annoying" list:

White Van Man

Unlike the WVM you find in the UK (who is a maniac behind the wheel), the US variant spends their time driving slowly in front of you, while they talk on their phone and eat their breakfast. They're not concerned about getting where they're going quickly -- they're paid-up members of the United Brotherhood of Annoying Drivers, Local 281 (also known as the U-Bads).

Chip H.
    My wife and I call these "Turduckens" !

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    And what is a 'thaler?'

OK, I understand there was once serious consideration given to making German the official language. It might have been a good idea to have a single language, whatever it might be.

And what is a 'thaler?'

OK, I understand there was once serious consideration given to making German the official language. It might have been a good idea to have a single language, whatever it might be.
    German is no easy trick; lots of paragraph-long sentences (and sentence-long words). Then there's the fun that comes with Der, Die and Das...

I can understand German enough to get the jist; speaking (and writing) it is another thing entirely!

mrblanche

Mark Twain said something about when an educated German dives into a sentence, you won't see him again until he emerges from the other side of his Atlantic with his verb in his mouth.

Mark Twain said something about when an educated German dives into a sentence, you won't see him again until he emerges from the other side of his Atlantic with his verb in his mouth.
    Kraft Durch Freude Wagen... need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

German is no easy trick; lots of paragraph-long sentences (and sentence-long words). Then there's the fun that comes with Der, Die and Das...

I can understand German enough to get the jist; speaking (and writing) it is another thing entirely!

All I know of German is beer drinking which, if one can know but one thing about it, is not bad.

mrblanche

Yeah, but too bad we got pilsners instead of good ales from England.

Yeah, but too bad we got pilsners instead of good ales from England.
    The only good beer you can buy in England is Speights, which is brewed in Otago NZ...

mrblanche

I've told the story before, but bear with me. Back in the old days before satellite radio, syndicated talk shows were the staple of the midnight trucker. One of my favorite was a guy who had all sorts of interesting people and subjects. One night, he had a panel of beer experts from around the world, discussing the best beers. Of course, they all knew unusual ones. That's where I first heard of Negro Modelo, which is a darn good dark Mexican beer.

Anyway, when it came down to it, they all agreed that if they were going to sit and nurse one or two beers all night, their choice would be Guinness. If they were having more than one or two, their opinions diverged.

By the way, the next night the same panel discussed the worst beers in the world. Again, at the end of the night, they were at a consensus: Corona.

"Before it died, I think this horse had diabetes," was the comment of one of them.

What is unimaginable to me is that they actually have Corona Light. I don't see how they manage to make it any lighter.

But there's no way that Corona is the worst beer in the world, or anywhere near it. Not as long as Pearl, Falstaff, Hamm's, Stag, and the various varieties of Schlitz still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Not as long as Pearl, Falstaff, Hamm's, Stag, and the various varieties of Schlitz still exist.
    Those are probably no more than nameplates today, Falstaff and Hamm's were not all that bad once upon a time. Pearl brings back memories of brewery tours if nothing else.

And you guys think I am doing the vague old thing...

M texted me today. I think she sad that I could go walk off a cliff.

... and you talk about beer?

Beer is what you drink when you are young and essentially it is a sleep-agent... which is not you need to understnd politics AND appreciate Brahms.

Beer just keeps the kids from political action. It has no redeeming value. Ought to be banned.

What is unimaginable to me is that they actually have Corona Light. I don't see how they manage to make it any lighter.

But there's no way that Corona is the worst beer in the world, or anywhere near it. Not as long as Pearl, Falstaff, Hamm's, Stag, and the various varieties of Schlitz still exist.
    Or Milwaukee's Best.... or for that matter, Bud Light. In cans.

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

Beer is what you drink when you are young
    And how would you know? I don't think that you were ever young, only a pretender for a while.

And how would you know? I don't think that you were ever young, only a pretender for a while.
    Another cruel and vicious slur on my character!

Expect a visit from Juliano, or Sean-the-Destroyer, that you may offer compensation...

I confess beer may have a place in proliterian ceremonies, ... maypole dancing, morris dancing, county fairs, generally curbing the peasantry..

Don't forget Busch Light.

Don't forget Busch Light.
    I think all "light" beers are not worth the trouble. Like diet soda... echhh

I have never associated beer with any of the finer things in life.

except certain males may be allowed a jug or two after they have started a V8 or god forbid a 4-cylinder...

The correct way to build an engine is with a mix of Brahms and Bach and Rachmanivov, three nips of blend before the investiture of the crankshaft. Beer does not work.