Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cerebus Cancels - Pacifica, Crossfire, PT Cruiser Convertible, and Magnum.

Cerebus Cancels - Pacifica, Crossfire, PT Cruiser Convertible, and Magnum.

This just in...

Cerebus (Chrysler's holding company) Cancels - Chrysler Pacifica, Chrysler Crossfire, Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible. and Dodge Magnum.

...more to info to come...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Cerebus Cancels - Pacifica, Crossfire, PT Cruiser Convertible, and Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    This just in...

Cerebus (Chrysler's holding company) Cancels - Chrysler Pacifica, Chrysler Crossfire, Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible. and Dodge Magnum.

...more to info to come...

Sheesh. That is most of their current passenger car lineup! All that's left is the 300, Sebring - and the damn minivan and the Aspen.

Staff

I thought the Crossfire was already gone.

They are MORONS for cutting the Magnum. The rest - who cares?

The Pacifica - needed a restyle/update - so they did a 1980s and 1990s GM solution, just pull the plug. With the Pacifica gone it leaves a gaping hole in Chrysler's product line - they now will have no crossover SUV.

The PT Cruiser convertible was not sold in high numbers - so this is not a big deal.

The Magnum is just plain sad. It has sold well. Though sales recently slumped it was being updated for 2008 with new styling so sales were going to rebound. This one was just a plain stupid decision.

The Crossfire was a neat little car. But this was too be expected, since the Chrysler/Daimler divorce sharing a platform with Mercedes was bound to end. And I think the Crossfire was a little high on the price scale, if it was $35K verses its $40K pricetag it would have been a better selling vehicle in my opinion.

Won't miss the Pacifica or the PT Cruiser Convertible (I thought it was awkward looking)
    The Crossfire was always a niche car anyways ($40k for a Chrysler?? Just buy a used SLK instead)

They're idiots for cancelling the Magnum.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

The Magnum was useless as a station wagon due to the low roof.

I thought they stopped manufacturing Crossfires at the end of the 2006 model year?

Next they need to axe the Nitro and the Compass. Jeep should be brought down to three model lines -- Wrangler, Liberty, and Grand Cherokee only, kill the rest. And the Liberty should be fast tracked for a ground-up redesign.

I think Cerebus/Chrysler appear to be trying to eliminate badge engineering and redundant product lines. I hope they can.

misterdecibel,

The Compass and Patriot have been selling pretty well. I believe Chrysler plans to cancel the Commander at the end of the 2009 model year. So the Jeep line will be soon shrinking.

There is a newly redesigned 2008 Liberty - so I think Jeep is way ahead of you on the fast-track design:

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/home/...6&Itemid=10287

The Crossfire SRT6 was the Crossfire that was cancelled at the end of the 2006 model year - that's probably what you were thinking of.

There is a newly redesigned 2008 Liberty - so I think Jeep is way ahead of you on the fast-track design:
    It's a facelift of the existing model isn't it? The entire design needs to be re-thunk, it's too tall. The old Cherokee was a better vehicle.

Staff

Maybe a web savvy person should set up a website to "save the Magnum" just like we wrote in letters years and years ago when the Mustang was on the chopping block. Although the Magnum didn't sell in the numbers that the Mustang did, I think it is the best car Chrysler ever produced. I don't care that it has a lot of Benz parts. The concept was great.

I don't think it's too late for a little market pressure, letters to Chrysler.

Although I will probably never own one, this car needs to be produced.

The Magnum and the Crossfire were a case of too much, too late. With gas at $3.00 and rising (it just went up 15 cents today), there is too much uncertainty for this type of car, but the uncertainty exists for all large cars. What the rumdumbs in Chrysler need to do is put a frigging diesel in that barge. I'd buy it then.

Cerberus

I'm not sure why you guys are go gung-ho about the Magnum? The 300 and Charger will remain, and the Challenger is coming, so it's not like the RWD product base is seriously eroding. It's not particularly useful as a wagon, due to concessions to style. So why should anyone care?

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Cerberus
    You beat me to the punch. The lack of classical training in America shows, doesn't it?

Chrysler being taken over by the hound from hell is nicely ironic.

mrblanche

Chrysler being taken over by the hound from hell is nicely ironic.
    I wonder if the company has three presidents? (Three heads?)

misterdecibel,

The 2008 Liberty is an all new vehicle - it is the second generation of the Liberty. In the same way the 2005 Grand Cherokee was all new in comparison to the 2004 Grand Cherokee. The Liberty is tall and it has high ground clearance (which is really nice if you take it off-road), it has the stance of an Old Wrangler. I like the new Liberty, it actually is a step back to the more boxy design of the Old Cherokee. I never liked the first generation of the Liberty, it was too femine looking for a SUV.

swamprat,

If you really want to save the Magnum, it no longer takes anyone being web savy - setup a free petition - go to:

http://www.petitiononline.com/

If you get enough signatures maybe the three-headed dog from hell will listen. Boy I wish Dialmer never bought Chrysler (there would be no Cerebus in the picture right now) - Chrysler needs to be back on its own again.

swamprat,

If you really want to save the Magnum, it no longer takes anyone being web savy - setup a free petition - go to:

http://www.petitiononline.com/

If you get enough signatures maybe the three-headed dog from hell will listen. Boy I wish Dialmer never bought Chrysler (there would be no Cerebus in the picture right now) - Chrysler needs to be back on its own again.

My guess is the decision to drop the Magnum had a lot to do with management's view of both CAFE and the near-term energy/gas prices situation. A big, heavy vehicle that's not selling well now will drop through the floor when gas prices hit $4 per gallon. This is why I think the pending Challenger coupe is also in trouble.

Ditto the Camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Cerberus
    You beat me to the punch. The lack of classical training in America shows, doesn't it?
    If you'll go back and read previous articles I've written on the subject you'll discover I know the correct spellling.

Eric,

I agree the new CAFE ratings will definitely take a hit out of the V8 powered cars - so that's probably the reason.

misterdecibel & mrblanche,

I am the idiot who misspelled Cerebus. In my original post I spelled it correctly in the body of my post, but on the subject I misspelled it. I quickly realized my mistake and corrected it, unfortunately Eric had already replied to my post so the misspelling showed up on the subject line of his post, but not mine. I just corrected it.

mrblanche

I am the idiot who misspelled Cerebus. In my original post I spelled it correctly in the body of my post, but on the subject I misspelled it. I quickly realized my mistake and corrected it, unfortunately Eric had already replied to my post so the misspelling showed up on the subject line of his post, but not mine. I just corrected it.
    But not in this message!